SDSU Nursing vs. NYU Nursing

Admitted to SDSU’s Direct Entry Nursing Program as well as NYU’s Nursing Program so far, but I’m having a hard time deciding which I want to go to. Is one program better than the other? Any suggestions/comments/thoughts? Anything would be helpful!

I live in San Diego but I also have family in New York. Paying for in-state tuition at SDSU would be beneficial financially but I definitely want to get away from San Diego since I’ve lived here all my life and go explore New York.

Still waiting on UCI, CSUF, and UCLA results

Do the math, and then ask yourself, is a nursing degree from NYU worth $XXX thousand more than a nursing degree from SDSU? Unless you are independently wealthy, I think the answer will be no. Most people would need private or PLUS loans to make up the difference, which can be very expensive over time.

You also need to include air fare costs, which are especially high over holidays.

Housing in both places is very expensive, but I believe NYC would be higher, particularly if you need to live off-campus.

If you have some money to spare, you could use it to sublease an apartment from a NYU student and enjoy NYC for a summer, or to spend some long weekends there.

Are paying full price for NYU?

Full price for NYU specific to the nursing program is $72k for the whole year (including tuition, housing, meal plan, books/supplies, transportation, etc) but they gave me an annual $12k nursing scholarship so I’d still have to pay $60k (that is, if I don’t take any loans out).

I have not received a financial aid package from SDSU yet, but I am estimating it to be $20k per year.

My daughter applied to the nursing program at NYU. Would you mind sharing your stats as I’m wondering what we could expect as far as merit aid if she is accepted?

Personally I think $60/yr is too much to pay for your BSN. You could put that money toward medical mission trips or graduate school. Maybe your parents would even consider subsidizing a summer in NYC working as a nurse’s aid in one of the city’s great hospitals.

My daughter was accepted at Pitt which is very affordable since we are in-state. UMiami is at the top of her list currently since they offered her a nice scholarship. We could afford full tuition but we are strongly encouraging her to think long term. Nursing curriculums tend to be very similar rom school to school. Just watch out for the ones with low NCLEX pass rates.

So is the NYU degree worth $160K more than a SDSU nursing degree ---- plus airline tickets and transportation costs from the airport, plus extra food and housing costs? Most people would say no. You are much better off using that money and your debt capacity on graduate courses or a downpayment on a house after you graduate.

I do not think you would have a higher starting salary with a NYU degree at most entry level RN jobs.

It would be different if you were intending to work on Wall Street and wanted a prestigious finance degree.

I’m currently a freshman nursing student at SDSU and I remember checking this site all the time when I was applying trying to find out all that I could about the different nursing programs so I thought I would give back and give some info. First of all, going to SDSU has been the best decision I have ever made and I wouldn’t take it back ever ever ever. SDSU may seem like a less competitive school than other schools, but the SDSU nursing school is actually super competitive. It’s about 3% acceptance right now is what I’ve heard and everyone in the program is extremely smart. Like I said, I’m a freshman and I’ve completed my first semester with a 4.0. So if you’re thinking about going to graduate school, I think going to SDSU would be great because getting all As is perfectly attainable. And the classes are great and so interesting. I’ve loved all the professors. The nursing class is about 150 people so you get close and make great friends. I love everyone in the program, we are all super nice to each other bc we aren’t competing for a spot in the program since it’s direct entry. Class sizes are small for the most part because they are mostly just the nursing students along with some kinesiology, pre-PT, pre-med, nutrition, etc. and the classes are all super related to nursing so it’s always interesting. Plus we start clinicals sophomore year so overall the program is amazing. Also I recommend living in the nursing living community which is where I currently live. It’s a floor of nursing students in the nicest dorm building and we all live in suites which means an automatic group of friends all taking the same classes and studying together. Plus there’s an academic advisor on the floor who has specific tips for nurses. Overall going to SDSU for nursing will be the best choice you could make. Academics are great, I’ve learned so much, plus the social scene is amazing with great parties, Greek life, clubs. And even as a nursing student I am able to make time for those things. Plus the dorm has a pool so that’s pretty amazing. Anyways good luck :slight_smile:

Thanks Cwims, it is always great to hear from current students.

Remember - you are looking for a high quality nursing program with good clinical opportunities, which may or may not be a university with a prestigious name.

Sometimes it is great to attend a university where the non-nursing and non-science classes are not highly competitive. That is because nursing and science classes and clinicals and practicums will be extremely hard and time-consuming at any college. If you go to a less competitive college, the math, english, history classes etc. may be less demanding, and you will have time and energy to do well on your nursing work.

@confuseddeer I’m not sure where you live but I will be starting at SDSU as freshman in August and chose SDSU primarily for the NCLEX pass rate of 96%. I visited SDSU yesterday for the Explore Open House and met several current nursing students. They are so sweet!! If you decide to attend SDSU please feel free to message me privately if you would like to exchange contact info. Good luck with your decision!!

@cwimsnursing Thanks for your input! And wow congratulations on ending your first semester with a 4.0! I was looking over the sample schedule and noticed I would have to take courses like Microbiology and Organic Chem the first semester. That worries me because Microbio and OChem are usually super difficult courses and people don’t take them until at least their 2nd year in college. How were they for you?

That does seem very strange to have microbio and organic chem the first semester. You might check whether they can be taken later, or at least during two separate semesters.

(By the way, I’ve heard from Medical Doctors that they have never used organic chem in their work, even though many universities use it as a weed out course for pre-meds. Pre-meds usually don’t take it until 2nd or 3rd year).

My daughter’s nursing program had a challenging bio class the first semester, and a challenging chem class the second semester, but they didn’t take microbio or organic until later.

@confuseddeer organic chem is not required in sdsu’s nursing curriculum! the course is called “chemistry for nursing” which i imagine is a bit easier version of chemistry compared to what a pre-med student would take

@liquidsugar That makes more sense. The SDSU nursing academic advisor gave me a sample schedule and the course was called “General, Organic and Biological Chemistry” but on the sample schedule online as well as the brochure, the course is actually called “Chemistry for Nursing”. Regardless, can any current SDSU Nursing students give some insight into the classes (how easy/hard they are, etc) and of their experiences?

It sounds like a general chemistry course that includes some organic chem, which is not uncommon.

If you have any AP credits, it would be good to talk to order students to find out which semesters are the hardest. You can then save your AP credits to lighten your load during those semesters. My daughter also took an online community college during a couple summers, which also allowed her to lighten the course load during the hardest semesters. With an online course, she was still able to work full time during the summer.