Searching for Colleges/Universities with Nursing!

<p>If your heart is really set on nursing, is there a community college in your area which has a fantastic nursing program? Our local community college is only 6K PER YEAR and is quite competitive because of the cost and quality of the program. I guess you have to decide what you can afford, but when we costed it out, private schools were only slightly higher (factoring in merit aid - no financial aid for us either). I would NOT forgo the application process with the thought, I will not be able to afford to attend, because you never know what might be offered and how much you can afford or borrow. If you do NOT apply, you will never know. Loans are loans no matter which school you choose and the earnings potential for nursing is good. GET SOME MORE APPS IN SOON…HEY, YOU NEVER KNOW!.. THE ONE THING YOU CANNOT CONTROL IS THE APPLICANT POOL. AND IF THERE IS A SPACE FOR YOU SOMEWHERE, YOU MAY LOSE IT BY NOT APPLYING. YOU CAN ALWAYS TURN THE OFFER DOWN IF IT COMES DOWN TO AFFORDABILITY! SORRY ABOUT THOSE CAPS…MY LOCK GOT TURNED ON AND I DID NO WANT TO RETYPE THIS.</p>

<p>One other option is to complete 2 years of nursing pre-requisites at any college, and then to apply to Thomas Jefferson University in Phila. or a similar program. They offer RN education for the 3rd and 4th years of college. Some colleges without a nursing program direct their students to TJU.</p>

<p>There also are some 3 year nursing programs that partner with nearby colleges to offer bachelor’s degrees. For example, St. Luke’s Hospital in Bethlehem partners with Moravian College. Lancaster General Hospital’s program partners with Millersville University. There also are a number of 3 year hospital-based nursing programs in eastern PA, including at Reading Hospital.</p>

<p>Hello again!</p>

<p>So if I took the community college route to get my Bachelors degree in Nursing to become an RN, how exactly would I go about this?</p>

<p>And if I do get accepted to Brockport and Plattsburgh as a Nursing Intent, should I attend one of those schools or a community college? Which would benefit me more in the end?</p>

<p>However, I’m still hoping for Nursing at NB or at least in Camden.</p>

<p>You would need to check with the Community Colleges in your area (you would have to commute to school) to see which ones offer an Associate’s Degree (two years) in Nursing and then apply to them. Once you get the Associate’s Degree you can then take the NCLEX exam to become licensed as an RN. You would then need to apply to “RN to BSN” Programs (usually 2-3 years in lengrth) to finally obtain your BSN. Actually, FYI, Rutgers also has “RN to BSN” Programs available at its various campuses. So you could still end up with BSN Degree from Rutgers by taking this route.</p>

<p>In most cases as long as you attend accredited Nursing Programs IMHO the route you take to obtain your BSN is not as important as what you put into it by applying yourself to the best of your ability whatever route you take. This is the best way to obtain a quality Nursing education. One route is not necessarily any better than another. Others might feel differently.</p>

<p>In the earlier posts, I was told that it is harder to get into a nursing program if it’s non-direct; for an example, Brockport and Plattsburgh. I wouldn’t want to attend the schools if I’m unable to join the nursing program after my freshman/sophomore year. So should I attend one of these schools, or should I just go to community college which would be less risky route?</p>

<p>If you attend a local community college, you can become an RN in two years and finish your BS at many schools. I would still try to find some local state schools and apply to their nursing programs (direct entry or not) if you can make the deadlines. Schools usually accept more applicants than available spaces, and some accepted applicants may choose other options. Is there anyone in your guidance office at school that could steer you in the right direction? Have you thought about making an appointment with someone at a local nursing department and asking them for some guidance? A person who knows your local area may be able to help steer you. If it is any consolation, researching colleges is challenging. I am sorry I can’t give you any definites, but life is like that. Put your best efforts forward anyway.</p>

<p>The nursing programs at community colleges also are competitive. Put some applications in for community colleges now to keep your options open, in addition to other colleges. </p>

<p>In most cases, you will then have until May 1 to make a decision, but if you don’t act now, you won’t have choices.</p>

<p>Marybee333 - So basically going through community college will guarantee me a degree in Nursing? I should make this clear; I’m not trying to say I want to find a easy way out because I’m determined to get my nursing degree, and this is something that I really want to do. I’m simply trying to find the safest way. I would have residency in New Jersey, and there aren’t much public schools here with quality nursing programs.</p>

<p>Well, my counselor is crap, and he has no clue of anything. We got a new counselor this year, and he’s hasn’t helped any of the seniors at all.</p>

<p>Charlieschm - Wait, community colleges accept applications this early?</p>

<p>Update: I was accepted to SUNY Plattsburgh for Nursing Intent.</p>

<p>One more question, should I apply to William Paterson or Richard Stockton in NJ?</p>

<p>I tried to quickly scan this post to see where you applied locally in NJ, but whether you have or have not applied locally, I would still suggest an appointment with someone from a local nursing college admissions office and ask your chances for acceptance and ask that person (who is probably familiar with everything in your area) for suggestions. I am also disappointed with the guidance department and keep wondering what they do, because it seems like they are of little guidance in helping students define their skill sets, interests and college searches. (you are not alone there) There are probably good guidance people out there, so I suggested it to you, just in case. How about calling the nursing recruiter for a local hospital and set up an appointment or even a phone interview and ask for help. If I received a call from a high school student, asking for guidance, I would take an interest. Also, does your school district have a vocational center for students who wants a more hands on learning experience or trade? Those centers usually have some type of LPN or CNA training course (pre-nursing) and they may be able to give you suggestions. Tomorrow is Monday, set aside some time to investigate and make some phone calls. You could even arrange to do it from the guidance office or career center at your school. It’s not too late.</p>

<p>I applied to SUNY Plattsburgh, SUNY Brockport, Rutgers NB for Nursing and SAS, and I’m wondering if I should apply to William Paterson or Stockton.</p>

<p>Well, my case is actually different, and I’m not able to do much. My dad works on an U.S overseas military base (and I live with him), so I can’t do anything besides do some college window shopping and choose some places to apply to. I visited Rutgers over the summer, so that’s why I’m hoping that I’ll get into at least one of the locations there; I liked the school. </p>

<p>I would like to volunteer at the base hospital, but I don’t think I can because even the internship/career class at my school aren’t allowed to work there.</p>

<p>So, you are considered a NJ resident?, living overseas, but returning to the U.S for college? You want to stay in NJ? Why? Do you have relatives there? Have you considered ROTC nursing since you would be paid to go to college? I am not very familiar with ROTC route, but if you are on a military base (dada as a civilian or not) I would definitely go see someone on the base (medical corp) and pose the same questions and ask for the same guidance as you have posted here. Especially since money seems to be the big sticking point for college. Research PA school [History</a> of the Profession > Physician Associate Program | Medical Education | Yale School of Medicine](<a href=“http://paprogram.yale.edu/profession/history_profession.aspx]History”>http://paprogram.yale.edu/profession/history_profession.aspx) and its connection to the military. Just another idea, since you are not stateside, and someone on the base may have knowledge for you. good luck.</p>

<p>Yes, I am considered a NJ resident since my father has a home of record in New Jersey. And yes, I do have family in NJ; one of the main reasons why I would like to go to a school in or close by the state. People have told me to be a nurse in the military, but I don’t think I"d want to join.</p>

<p>William Patterson and Richard Stockton are two NJ public colleges that appear to have direct entry BSN Nursing Programs. They do give preference to NJ residents and, while still competitive for Nursing admission, would probably be easier to be accepted to as compared to Rutgers. You need to apply ASAP if you are interested in these schools.</p>

<p>I think community colleges take applications at any time. Some have a first come, first served admissions policy among the qualified applicants for programs that are in high demand, such as nursing. For regular community college admissions for a program that is NOT in high demand, many will accept applications close to the start of enrollment.</p>

<p>I think if you get through to the right person on the base, they would allow you to at least shadow some staff during the day to see what the work is like. You can always decide upon the military later - for example, there are programs that allow you to pay off college loans by enlisting after college. (The college benefits programs of the military vary from service to service and change over time.) Many ROTC programs do not require a binding commitment for military service until at least after the first year (some are later if you don’t receive a large scholarship). In some cases, you can earn substantial benefits while being a reservist (however, they can call you up to active duty if needed).</p>

<p>Look at Ramapo. Public NJ and probably a better academic fit than Rutgers. It’s a bit tricky to navigate the college’s website about the nursing program, but you can enter as a freshman for the 4 year program. Contact the nursing program directly for more info. Applications are due soon though… absolute deadline is Jan 12 but slots fill so apply asap.
I know a few successful grads of the program.
Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using CC</p>

<p>Just checked and Ramapo requires a M/CR score of 1120 for nursing.
Stockton wants 1100-1200.
William Patterson wants a minimum 1050 with a minimum 500 on CR. but you should apply anyway…can you retake the sat?</p>

<p>Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using CC</p>

<p>ohtacos- I would like to correct something I was mistaken about. Plattsburgh is a direct entry nursing program for freshman and you begin nursing classes your sophomore year. You can be accepted as a Nursing major as a freshman. I am sorry that I was mistaken about this, but I wanted you to know, to call Plattsburgh and ask them what being accepted nursing intent means in terms and chances of being able to continue in the program. If there is a direct entry program, it may be harder to get into the nursing program later. I am not sure of all of the specifics, but please call the admissions office (or email) and ask them to be sure.</p>

<p>There are some programs at some public colleges where they accept some students as direct entry and some as applicants in their sophomore year. However, more and more public colleges in the northeast US are shifting to making it hard or impossible to transfer into the nursing program.</p>