Seton Hall? Salve Regina? East Stroudsburg? York College? Drexel? Rutgers? Temple?

<p>Hey everyone. I'm currently a senior in a NJ high school and will be applying to direct entry nursing schools in the next few weeks. However, I'm having a really tough time shortening my college list :( I just need people to tell me what my chances are for some of these schools, so I can have a good 15 ish schools colleges to apply to. Here are all my stats & college lists...</p>

<p>SAT (taking again in 2 weeks)
Math: 500
Reading: 490
Writing: 620</p>

<p>ACT (i don't know but I'm taking it in 4 weeks for the first time)</p>

<p>GPA: 3.5</p>

<p>Honors Classes: 8
AP Classes: 1 (AP Biology)</p>

<p>Things That Will Hopefully Help Me:</p>

<ul>
<li>my high school is #23 in NJ</li>
<li>I have 100 volunteer hours from a nearby hospital (wish I had more but ehh)</li>
<li>have almost 50 volunteer hours at my public library</li>
<li>I'm top 30 - 40% of my class</li>
<li>in my school's National Honors Society</li>
<li>have done clubs like... Indian Cultural Club, Steering Committee Club (plan prom & other school events), Stand Up To Cancer Club, Key Club, and End Racism & Sexism Everywhere</li>
</ul>

<h2>- first generation college student</h2>

<p>** Note: My parents will pay for any school but I don't want them to pay above $50,000 ish unless it's a really great school **</p>

<p>Safety Colleges...</p>

<p>1) Neumann University
2) Holy Family University
3) Shenandoah University
4) Alvernia University
5) Fairleigh Dickinson University
6) Pace University</p>

<p>Possible Colleges??? (I dont know if I can get into all of these schools with my current SAT score)</p>

<p>1) Duquesne University
2) Seton Hall University
3) Salve Regina University
4) DeSales University
5) Moravian College
6) East Stroudsburg University
7) Stevenson University
8) Endicott College
9) York College
10) MCPHS (in Boston)
11) Sacred Heart University
12) Curry College
13) Marymount University
14) Temple University
15) The College of New Jersey
16) University of Rhode Island
17) University of Scranton
18) Widener University
19) Wilkes University</p>

<p>I Probably Cant Get Into... Right?</p>

<p>1) University of Delaware
2) Drexel University
3) Fairfield University
4) Quinnipiac University
5) Rutgers Newark (I know I definitely can't get into New Brunswick)
6) West Chester University
7) Penn State (I probably can't get into the main campus but does anyone know which other branch schools are good for nursing???)</p>

<p>How about Saint Anselm or Hiram College?</p>

<p>Is Hiram College direct entry? I’ve never heard of it. And Saint Anselm was on my list but I crossed it off because its 4 and a half hours away from my house and basically the size of my high school :/</p>

<p>That is a good working list to start with, but you need to narrow it down quickly. Get applications in ASAP for your favorites and the more competitive schools. I think your chances for U. Del nursing are very low. I believe I heard Penn State is now doing a 4 year direct entry at Altoona campus, which is near a large hospital and is 45 minutes from State College.</p>

<p>If you run the net price calculator for each college, you will be able to see which ones are likely to be within your budget, which will help to narrow down your applications. Also, some of those colleges have free applications and do not require essays, which makes it easy to submit a quick application. Seats in nursing programs often fill up early. I’d try to apply early October.</p>

<p>For colleges in NYC and Boston, keep in mind that the cost of living is very high.</p>

<p>I’d consider replacing E. Stroudsburg, with Bloomsburg U., which is a similar college with a better nursing program.</p>

<p>You might consider replacing an expensive school (such as U. of Scranton) with a less expensive choice (Misericordia U.), unless you bring up your scores and become eligible for merit aid</p>

<p>I can get in all my applications in by early or mid October but my teachers might not be able to send my recommendation letters in until late October. Would that be okay, or should I make them rush?? Also, is East Stroudsburg not a good school for nursing? I was considering Bloomsburg but its 81% white and 0% asian… I’ve grown up in a REALLY diverse town and school all my life so I don’t think I would feel comfortable there. Not to mention, its in a rural area and I’m a city girl (live only 45 minutes away from NYC).</p>

<p>I crossed off UDel & MCPHS (heard that they rush everything because students are supposed to get their degree in 3 years, not 4 + they don’t guarantee housing all 4 years). I will apply to Penn state because they have the main campus & 2 others that have direct entry nursing and are actually fairly close to me :)</p>

<p>Is Misericordia direct entry for nursing?? My guidance counselor was talking about it a few days ago so it seems like a great school, but I’m not sure. I’ll have to do research on that one. </p>

<p>Also, Bloomgsburg only accepts 11% out of state students… should I even bother? :/</p>

<p>Bloomsburg’s nursing school requirements include at least 1100 (CR +M) and top 25% of class. Application is due no later than Nov. 15. East Stroudsburg wants at least 500 on each of CR and M or ACT of 22, as well as top 1/3 of class. If costs is a factor and you don’t mind being in northwest PA, Edinboro University is offering out-of-state tuition at only 5% over instate tuition, which would end up around $10,000. Edinboro’s requirements are SAT of 1000 (CR + M), top 40% of class. For any of the PA state system universities, you should apply soon. Most offer rolling admission and places in the nursing programs fill up quickly. Penn State is now offering a BSN at 5 branch campuses as well as main campus. Altoona and Erie are the largest of the 5. However, out-of-state tuition at Penn State is high (somewhat less at branch campuses) and both need-based and merit aid is poor to nonexistent.</p>

<p>I come from a pretty medium class family so money is not that big of a deciding factor right now. I really just need to get in somewhere that is decent :confused: East Stroudsburg’s required stats are the ones I have. I looked into Edinboro too but its 84% white kids and in a rural area. I don’t think I’d feel comfortable there. By the way, what do you mean when you say ‘apply’? Does that mean I should at least get my application in, or do I need to have everything (like application, transcripts, recommendation letters, essay, etc.) in by a certain date? </p>

<p>^Except for Bloomsburg and West Chester, I think application dates at PA state system universities are flexible. You might want to wait until you receive your new SAT/ACT scores to send scores, but you can complete the applications and have transcripts sent prior to that. Check the school websites regarding recommendations and essays. Some of the PA state schools don’t require either one (I know IUP doesn’t), but if they do, they can also be sent prior to the test scores. </p>

<p>^^ Thank you!! Yes, I was planning on waiting to send my scores in anyway because I still have one more SAT & ACT. Do you know how hard it is to get into West Chester nursing? I heard it was one of the more difficult schools to get into, so I crossed it off my list. </p>

<p>West Chester is the most popular and most competitive for admissions of the PA state-owned universities (Penn State and Pitt are not officially state-owned). WCU nursing would be competitive, but you don’t need extremely high scores for entry. Similiarly, Bloomsburg is one of the more competitive nursing programs, but you don’t need super high scores. It is OK to have a few reach schools, as long as they are not super-reaches.</p>

<p>Bloomsburg’s nursing always had a good reputation, and has high pass rates. There is a small hospital across the street and a very large hospital 15 minutes away. There is a serious on-campus housing shortage last I heard, which means most freshman live in 1960s dorms that were converted into triple rooms. It is a rural area, but it is a straight shot on I80 to North Jersey on weekends. It attracts many NJ students.</p>

<p>E. Stroudsburg’s nursing had been on probation a couple years ago, but they improved. There is a small hospital nearby, but you have to travel 45 minutes to get to a large hospital.</p>

<p>Penn State gives no admissions preference to in-state students. Many public universities want out of state students so they can get extra tuition. </p>

<p>Most of the state universities in PA do not provide much housing to upperclassmen. </p>

<p>My daughter is happy at York College in York PA. It has very reasonable tuition for a private college, and a large hospital across the street. For their nursing program, you should apply by early October, because it does fill up… Later applicants have to accept a 4.5 year program instead of a 4 year program. Most of their upper class housing is new, and they provide housing all four years.</p>

<p>I don’t know exactly how difficult admission to West Chester’s nursing program is, but I’m pretty sure it’s the most competitive out of the 6 direct entry BSN nursing programs at PA state system (PASSHE) schools. Bloomsburg is probably the next most difficult to get into. </p>

<p>I definitely can’t get into Bloomsburg if they require a 1100 SAT & I only have 1000. The same goes for West Chester. Endicott wants a 1100 too, but I really like the location of that schools (right by the water). I dont know… would you consider 100 points away a reach or almost impossible? I’m going to try improving my score but getting 100 more points is much harder than it seems :confused: I’m more of a science student than math though, so perhaps I’ll get lucky on the ACT.</p>

<p>By the way, I love York College!! The admissions counselor at my school’s college fair said they’re looking for a 1040. Is that around the score your daughter had on her SATs? I’ll apply there soon :smile: </p>

<p>Mjmansuria15, do not be deterred. Although your SAT score may not be as high as you’d like, your GPA is very good. Also, know that Seton Hall University has an excellent nursing program. The Seton Hall general admission requirements are as follow: average GPA 3.4, average SAT (CR&M) 1125 and Average ACT 24. Here’s a link to their nursing program: <a href=“Error 404 Not Found - Seton Hall University”>Error 404 Not Found - Seton Hall University; and a link to their general admission information and application page: <a href=“http://admissions.shu.edu/”>Error 404 Not Found - Seton Hall University. Good luck!</p>

<p>MJ - My daughter did not do well on the SATs. She did great on the ACT, and received 50% off tuition merit aid from York. She liked the format of the ACT much better. The ACT worked well for her because she is very good at science. By the way, York attracts many students from NJ. A high percentage of students are from Maryland.</p>

<p>When you apply, I’d let the colleges know that you are waiting on your ACT score, which you expect to be much better than your SAT score because you are better at science than math. A college will usually base their decision on whichever score is better. </p>