Seen any good movies lately?

Everyone’s talking about Moonlight. I haven’t seen it yet. It is supposed to be fantastic. Has anyone seen it?

NJTheatreMom – I bet there are a lot of movies we both like!

I love all these responses. Partly because whenever I look at the selections on Amazon Prime I blank out and forget the title of movies I want to see. Other ones I liked were You Can Count on Me (same director as Manchester by the Sea) and Never Let Me Go.

I wonder if My One and Only is on Amazon Prime…I’ll find out.

fractalmstr – I will definitely check out Dark Passage. I love movies like that. Didn’t realize Lauren Bacall was in it too.

If it’s still playing in your area, you might like Denial. It’s based on a true story of a Holocaust denier who sued an American professor for libel – in the U.K., where the rules favor the plaintiff. The film is a little slow, but the topic is interesting and the acting is terrific.

Ooh – sounds great Marian – thank you!

I loved The Hunt for the Wilderpeople. I believe it’s on Amazon now.

1 Like

DH and I love going to movies, and we’ve seen about all the ones mentioned in this thread. Moonlight is the best of the bunch…certainly worth all the raves.

Louis Theroux’s My Scientology Movie is excellent.

Our area recently opened a bistro type theater that we like to go to. It is in a seasonal tourist area, but it is nice for us to avoid going to the other theaters that are in mall top settings. We went to see Hacksaw Ridge. It was a good story , but pretty graphic . At times, I had to turn away from the screen. The movie would have gotten the message out just fine without all the gore

My D invited me to go see Moonlight with her this evening. I’ll report back.

@lje62, I had to turn away from the screen during Hacksaw Ridge, too, but I thought the gore was necessary. My FIL was in the group that came down as Desmond’s group went up. DH had NO idea things were as bad as they were. It explained why his dad never talked about it.

@MaineLonghorn , it was a remarkable story , no doubt. I can’t imagine anyone wanting to share those memories.

I haven’t seen hacksaw ridge (given my movie watching habits, likely would need to wait until I can watch it at home), but I like when war movies show the gore and utter insanity of war, because the sanitized view the old war movies had (you see a shell go off, and bodies flying in one piece, or someone gets shot and they lay down), it was too clean. I remember watching a tv talk show after “Saving Private Ryan” came out, and they had this spic and span PR type from the military saying how the movie did a disservice, that they didn’t need to go that far…and on the same program they had a guy who was a member of a ranger battalion that hit Normandy that day, and this grizzled old guy looked at the PR guy with contempt on his face and said “Son, you ever been anywhere near combat other than make believe on a paintball range?”. I don’t like gore for gore’s sake, but maybe if people saw how ugly and hairy war is they would think twice about sending people that way. I don’t think most people know just how violent and brutal the war was in the Pacific for example, which underlied a lot about what happened later.

Good point, musicprnt. Haven’t seen that movie yet, but I’m reminded of a New Yorker cartoon that shows soldiers in training going through an obstacle course with monkey bars. Grizzled captain to the troops: “this is nothing like the monkey bars you’ll see in combat.”

It might be worth a separate thread for “deep dive” choices from Netflix–movies that are obscure (often because they are imports) but that are really interesting. One we saw recently was a Korean film called “The Beauty Inside” about a man who wakes up as a different person each day. I highly recommend it.

We also liked a Chilean movie called “No Filter” about a woman who is forced to let out all her frustrations.

If you like quirky, fast-paced, thoughtful, and fun, then I recommend ‘Run Lola Run’. German with subtitles, about $4 rental on Amazon.

I rewatched this with the family last weekend and we all loved it. It’s a roller coaster ride as a young woman protagonist must dash through Berlin to raise 100,000 marks in 20 minutes to save her criminal boyfriend. Then the movie demonstrates how a few seconds’ delay can drastically alter the whole future for all the characters. Compelling music, cool cinematography, and nods to Hitchcock’s Psycho made this a really enjoyable watch.

I remember that one pickpocket! Saw it when it came out. German with subtitles reminds me how great the Lives of Others was.

Good idea Hunt or post them here – I’ll check out the Beauty Inside – I love movies like that.

We recently watched a movie called “Saving Face” that is a quirky look at the Chinese community in NYC and also pokes fun at certain things, too, very lovingly (the director is of Chinese descent, so I presume it is an inside look). Lot of great actors and characters, really enjoyed it.

Saw Arrival recently. It’s one of the ugliest movies I’ve ever seen–so gray and somber-looking and there really are no special effects beyond what you see in the movie poster (so don’t expect them). But it was good and worth the ticket price. We thought about it afterward, which to me is the sign of a good movie.

Netflix, check out “13th,” which is a documentary about mass incarceration by the same lady who made Selma.