Should I apply to Fordham as a transfer student for fall 2022?

So, I go to Johns Hopkins University, and I hate it, absolutely hate it. My grades haven’t suffered too badly, I’ll have a 3.68 GPA and have been a dean’s list recipient for the whole time I’ve been at college. But I can’t do it anymore. I want to be closer to home but still in a city, and I think Columbia is out of my reach and probably equally toxic so I want to go to Fordham. Problem is, I made this decision yesterday. And applications are due on June 1st. Luckily I have most of the common app filled out, just have to send a few documents, but I’m wondering what chance I have at getting in this late in the admissions cycle.
Stats lol
Rising college sophomore but only 39 credits, long story
3.68 GPA, consistent and steady
1540 SAT 35 ACT high school salutatorian
Has worked a lot of jobs? Though I don’t think I should still be putting my 14 year old job on my resume anymore
Psychology and Public Health Major at Hop
aspiring social worker
thanks!

1 Like

Yes. Do it.

6 Likes

So the deadline is June 1st - and you can get it done?

Why ask the question?? Just do it!!!

But don’t assume that “transferring” will fix your ills. Maybe it’s deeper seated? Many people struggle their first year. It does take time to adjust.

2 Likes

I agree with the other answers that you should send in your application. As long as you get it in before the stated deadline you should be fine, at least in terms of having your application considered.

Then you might want to come back and let us know what you do not like about Johns Hopkins. You should probably also talk to your academic advisor at Johns Hopkins. They will not take this personally and should be trying to help you find the right fit.

Highly ranked universities are definitely not always a good fit for all academically strong students.

3 Likes

I meant rising junior/current sophomore lol, it’s been two years, I was just tired

2 Likes

If you will have completed two years of college, Fordham won’t really care at all about your high school scores or GPA. They will review your application based on your college record.

If you have 39 credits over 2 years…that implies a very light courseload…or something. In two years, don’t most students have closer to 50-60 credits? I hope you didn’t drop a lot of courses along the way…or get poor grades in some. If that is the case, you might not meet satisfactory academic progress at your new college which would preclude you receiving need based aid.

Also you say you have a 14 year old job? What job did you start 14 years ago when you were under 10 years old?

I guess another question is…is Fordham affordable?

But yes…send in your application. See what happens…but I would suggest not withdrawing yet from JHU…just in case all the details don’t work out.

1 Like

It’s sounds like there’s more going on than you can share in a paragraph. No?

If you want to be a social worker I wouldn’t think where you go to school would make a difference. I’m assuming NYC is home? What about some other schools like St. John’s or a SUNY/CUNY? Live at home until you get things in-order?

Good luck. I hope it works out.

1 Like

I actually had a very heavy course load, I took a leave of absence for a year so I only have a year’s worth of credits but the school still considers me a rising junior. All is reflected on my transcript. I never failed a class or did poorly, and I meant the job I had WHEN I was 14.

2 Likes

I still think Fordham (or any other transfer school) will look at your college record not your two year old high school one. You have a full year of grades from college…right.

Did you take a leave of absence from JHU for the 2021-2022 academic year?

One thing to be aware of is that Fordham has a huge core curriculum. Take a look online and be sure: 1) you are OK with the required classes and 2) you can finish the core and all classes in your major within four years.

1 Like

Did you decide to apply?

1 Like