Should I become a nurse? Should I transfer?

<p>Hi! I'm a college freshman definitely pre-health, thinking about pre-med. The college I go to (JHU) has no undergraduate nursing major (go figure). </p>

<p>I want to be a doctor specifically for the ability to direct someone's care the direction I think it should go, and I think it would be a great honor to be that first person people want to call, want to see, want to trust with their health. Sometimes, though, I don't think I have what it takes to have that responsibility or to be a leader like that. So much autonomy might freak me out,,, @-) </p>

<p>I think I'd also be content being the one carrying out orders as a nurse (maybe happier?). IDK how much patient contact I'm interested in; I like to be warm and accommodating and want long-term relationships, but I'm also introverted, so being around people for a long periods of time is tiring. </p>

<p>Med school = super huge factor, super huge con... /: Pre-med requirements also = huge con. But if I decide not to be pre-med, I'm probably going to have to wrestle with the loss of prestige that job has and disappointing everyone around me who already expects me to be "the next Ben Carson" and are asking me to treat them in the future, lol. The second one will be relatively easy to do, because it's <em>my</em> career, but there might always be that "What if?"</p>

<p>I'm planning to shadow some doctors and nurses this summer. But if I decide that I'd rather do Nursing, should I transfer to a Nursing program? I'd feel weird staying in school for another 2-3 to get a Bachelor's in something other than Nursing. That's a waste of time and money... Are there any perks to getting an Accelerated BSN post-grad vs. a four-year degree? </p>

<p>What to do with you life is a decision only you can make.</p>

<p>I will, however, weigh in on your last question. Accelerated BSNs are super tough. There are no summer breaks, so no opportunities for summer externships. Many programs will tell you that you can’t work while you’re in them, so you won’t be getting hospital experience other than your clinical. Oh, and as a second bachelor’s degree, there’s not much financial aid available. If you decide you’re going to be a nurse, take as many prereqs as you can and then transfer to a 2+2 program. It’ll be very competitive, but if your grades are good and you cast a wide net, you ought to be able to find something. </p>

<p>Thanks for the feedback? What is a 2+2 program?</p>

<p>" 2 + 2 Program " means : a student would be in Pre-Nursing ( Freshmen & Soph. yr ) , then need to apply to the Nursing School later . This is super / ultra competitive. As you can tell, literally hundreds of applicants will compete for only aprx 60, 80, 90 spots only…depending on the college.</p>

<p>Some colleges have " direct admit " : no need to apply after 2 yrs in that college.
These direct admit nursing programs also take transfer with limited spaces.</p>

<p>with some exceptions…of course.</p>

<p>JHU Johns Hopkins has the Accelerated BSN program, you may be able to take all ( or most ) of the nursing pre-req. classes while you are an undergrad. student. These Accel. BSN programs required the applicants to have all ( if not most ) of the pre-req. classes done before you apply.</p>

<p>These Accel. Programs are intensive ( my older D is planning to apply this Fall , not to JHU but to other colleges ).
There is Xmas break & weekends, no summer break & most programs are 18months long. </p>

<p>Shadowing a doctor or nurses in a hospital setting / clinic / or doctor’s office is a good idea, you will get a feel for what they do on a day to day basis. You get to see things that may inspire you to do many other things !
Good Luck !!!</p>

<p>Thanks, FlowerMom!</p>