Should I choose ASU or Purdue?

All of my college decisions have arrived and I have narrowed my choices between ASU and Purdue for computer engineering and need advice as which one to choose.

ASU: ($80k over 4 years)
Pros:

• Accepted into Computer Systems Engineering major.
  • #33 ranked engineering school
  • nice weather
  • Cheap

Cons:

• Less respected, lower prestige
  • Uncertainty about getting internships
  • Far from family who lives on the east coast

PURDUE: (no other aid but FAFSA)
Pros:

• Accepted for FYE
  • #9 ranked engineering school
  • Well respected
  • Certainty of internships
  • Closer to my brother who will be attending Vanderbilt next fall

Cons

• Not great weather
  • Very expensive
  • FYE does not guarantee desired major

They are two very big cons. How would you pay for Purdue?

FYI, Purdue and Vandy are about a 5 1/2 drive apart. Yes, that is closer than ASU, but not something that you just pop by.

5 Likes

That is true.
I really like Purdue and think it is worth it, but choosing Purdue does seems irresponsible nevertheless.

I am also concerned about the difference in cost. How would you pay for Purdue? Would you need to take loans? How much debt would you need?

It is not unheard of for an engineering major to end up taking an extra semester or even an extra year. If this were to happen, you might want to assume no financial aid for the extra semester or the extra year. Could you afford this without a major problem?

To me, the difference between a #33 ranking versus a #9 ranking really does not concern me. There are hundreds of very good universities in the US. Anything in the top 100 is very good. #33 is obviously quite high up in the top 100. I think that from a “quality of the program” point of view you are comparing two very good programs.

Getting accepted directly into your preferred major is also a big deal.

6 Likes

Thank you for the insight. I had the same thought but wanted someone else’s opinion on the subject. I definitely cannot afford Purdue nor take out pricey loans.

That means not choosing Purdue.

Is ASU affordable to you?

7 Likes

Yes, ASU would be more affordable with the scholarship.

2 Likes

Purdue is nearly 6 hours to Vandy. That’s not exactly close. ASU is four by plane.

Explain to me how Purdue has certainty of internships ? And ASU doesn’t ? Neither has certainty. Both will have opportunity but mostly they will be found by you and both will be similarly respected as will hundreds of other ABET schools.

Explain to me how ASU, rated the most innovate school in America year after year and surrounded by tech companies galore., is less respected ?

It’s on a later page in a magazine but that is not real world. And by the way in that same magazine you quote, in that major Purdue is #10 and ASU somewhere between 11 and 30. They rank the top 10 and list the others they rate. College Factual says Duke is #1 but it’s grouped with ASU in US News. These are marketing ploys to make a publisher money. They do not demonstrate that one school is superior to another.

Purdue is wonderful. So is ASU.

Where you go will matter less. How you handle yourself will matter more.

My kid went to a school rated far lower than both you mentioned, interned with Ga Tech students, had 5 offers this fall b4 he stopped looking and at Purdue or higher salaries. Btw he went to his company a second year. The Ga Tech students weren’t invited back.

Go to the best fit for you and the US News ranking and your perception of pedigree should have little or frankly zero impact on your decision.

I’m guessing Purdue is $90-100k more. It’s an AWESOME school as is ASU. Will your outcome be $90k different? Doubtful. Companies generally pay by location…not school.

What matters to you and your family ? Money as you’ll have to pay $90k, plus interest and live under financial strain ? Weather ? Distance to East Coast ? Yes ASU is farther but a train takes you to the very close airport vs an hour from Indy.

Both are fine schools. Don’t let a magazine make your decision.

You need to make it.

You made a list of pros and cons. Figure which is right for you.

Best of luck.

4 Likes

I really appreciate the feedback and information and will definitely make the most responsible choice.

2 Likes

Do you have any other affordable choices in an area of the country in which you might be more comfortable? In the same way an unaffordable option isn’t really an option, an untenable geographic option really isn’t an option, too.

Some kids are ready to live across the country from family at 18 and only come home once or twice a school year. Some kids are not. It’s ok if you aren’t ready. If it isn’t your preference but something you can handle and will eventually embrace, that’s one thing. If it’s something that will impact your ability to succeed, that’s quite another thing.

5 Likes

You do not need to make this decision right now. Give it a few weeks to consider more of what you want and need. Do not make this decision on rank and your perception of others’ perception.

Perdue does not seem like a viable option if it is not affordable and you are not guaranteed your major. (By stating FAFSA only, I am assuming no merit and only student loans and parent loans.)

Others have pointed out great things about ASU. Have you visited?

If you are not thrilled with ASU, what other affordable options do you have?

You can find internships opportunities from anywhere, so do not stress over that factor.

2 Likes

Considering that there is no merit, that would mean that purdue is roughly twice the price of asu. I think Purdue is a great school, but imo it is not worth twice as much as an ABET accredited school that has one of the top honors colleges in the country. You can also join the honors college during the school year if not admitted before attending.

3 Likes

What does this mean? FAFSA is a financial aid application form…not a money disbursement agency.

1 Like

Going to throw in another thought I didn’t see above. Where do you see yourself geographically after college? Your internships and potential recruitment days are going to be at/with companies local to your college. Not to say you can’t go elsewhere once you graduate but many programs pride themselves on their pipeline of candidates into the local/regional area.

1 Like

@Mashinations if this screen name is your real name, I would urge you to change it.

@CC_Sorin @CC_Jon

1 Like

It’s after the “trial” period and I no longer have the pencil to update.

I just sent you a message.

I disagree … at least not at schools like Purdue and ASU. If during the school year, I’d agree. But during summer and post grad, the nation is open. At least in my son’s experience. And others he knows.

1 Like

Let’s make this easy for you. Go to ASU. It’s affordable for you. Period. You will get internships and job offers if your active on campus and separate yourself out. Check out the job fairs on campus plus most apply to jobs using indeed etc so location doesn’t matter.

5 Likes

Fwiw, my daughter is working in North Carolin after graduating Purdue Engineering. There are plenty of local recruiters, but far from exclusive. I’ve been more focused in CS, as that’s where my youngest currently is, but the highest percentage geography in the latest first outcomes report is West.

And while I am a big fan of Purdue, “I can’t afford Purdue” pretty much makes the decision, no?

2 Likes