Should I do IB or AP?

I’m currently a sophomore registering for junior year classes. I will be taking all of the IB classes, or the AP equivalent, but I still don’t know if I should do the full diploma programme or not. I took all AP or honors classes this year and got straight A’s last semester, but I know that IB classes are a lot harder to get good grades in. Any advice would help, thanks!

I’m in the same position as you! I’m a sophomore, and I decided to do the IB program and take some AP tests. It worked for me because I was going to be taking most of the classes that I would be taking whether I did the IB diploma program or not, so it worked out for me.

This is my schedule for the next 2 years:

Junior Year:
IB-SL Biology- this changes into HL if you take it senior year too
IB-SL Math or Calculus- my school calls it Calculus, but others just call it math
IB-SL Music
IB-HL/AP English 3- This class prepares you for both tests. See if your school does this that way you can do both AP and IB
IB-HL World History- I may be able to take the AP World History test after taking this course, so you may be able to also
Honors Chinese 3
AP United States Government and Politics- There’s room to take AP classes in your schedule in addition to IB because you only have to take 6 IB classes
TOK which my school rotates with gym

Senior Year:
IB-HL Biology- I’ll be taking the IB and AP test
IB-HL/AP English 4- I’ll be taking both the IB and AP test
IB-HL European History- I’ll be taking the IB test and maybe the AP test
IB-SL Chinese 4- I’ll be taking the IB test
IB-SL Music- I’ll be taking the IB test
AP Physics 1- I’ll be taking the IB test
TOK
and I have an empty space which leaves room for another IB or AP class
I’m also going to be doing AP BC Calculus over the summer after junior year and probably the beginning of senior year and then take the AP test

So you can see that doing the IB program still leaves you with space to take AP classes. I would recommend talking to your guidance counselor to see if you can take some of the AP tests after taking the IB course.

If you have straight A’s taking all honors and AP classes then you are definitely able to get good grades doing the IB program. Most people I know that are very smart and are doing well in the IB program didn’t even have straight A’s. I had a 3.85 last quarter, and I was told to do it, so you definitely can. I hope this helps!