Should i do IB?

<p>Right now I'm in 8th grade and will be going to high school next year. I have two high schools to choose from, Edmonds Woodway High school or Meadowdale High school. Edmonds Woodway has the IB program, which I think I might want to do (I'm in 9th grade math and 3 honors classes) and Meadowdale only has AP classes. Should I go for the full IB diploma?</p>

<p>Does Meadowdale have a good selection of AP classes? If both schools have good test results or whatever, I don’t think it really matters where you go.</p>

<p>Go for the IB; it’s more rigorous and colleges acknowledge that. Plus, you get an incredible education and it’s a great program. I may be biased since I take it, but I’ve always felt like I’m getting more out of my time in high school than my friends who take APs are.</p>

<p>^^I agree. Since IB has more of a writing focus or whatever, I think it’s better for college. I’m gonna do the diploma myself next year.</p>

<p>It honestly depends on how you learn. If you learn at a fast pace and just want to focus on tests, then take AP. If you prefer to cover a little less material but go in depth into what you do learn while prepping, go IB. I’m currently in the IB program at my school and I love it. From what my cousins and graduates from the program have told me, IB prepares you for college not just material-wise, but mentally as well.</p>

<p>I would go for IB, because if it ends up being too rigorous you can always drop out, but if you decide not to do it, you’ll never know what you missed.</p>

<p>But it is EXTREMELY rigorous and competitive. I remember I was in all honors classes in middle school and I was always one of the smartest, and I got exceptional grades without even trying, but IB is nothing like that. You actually have to study, think analytically, and be able to write well. But colleges to acknowledge that you put in the extra effort and that you are serious about school!</p>

<p>Stuff you learn in your IB program will stick with your for your life. I have an inkling that I would not haven gotten into a top medical school without the foundation laid in my IB years. Caveat emptor, not everyone can hack it.</p>

<p>Disagree with all of this. I feel as if people underestimate AP! It’s just as hard or even harder than ib. People just think its harder because they have all the stupid projects and such to do which takes up more of their time. Colleges understand it’s two different styles of learning and they are equally as hard</p>

<p>As an IB senior, I can say IB is greatly exaggerated. It is ideal for an international or foreign exchange student or if you plan on going out of the country for college. If not, AP classes are the best way to go. Colleges seem to have better experience with AP courses in terms of credit. Maintaing a high GPA in IB is difficult, and many colleges only take unweighted GPAs. With that said, it really depends on the school hosting the IB program and the teachers. If I could go back, I wouldn’t have done it. It is a very personal decision, so do what works best for you. </p>