Should I double major in journalism and finance?

<p>I have in interest in both international journalism and finance. Right now it appears that I'll be attending Mizzou. </p>

<p>I know that the journalism school is excellent, but I'm afraid that I won't be able to find a job. I would also prefer to work internationally (mainly in the Middle East), but I realize I'll have to start at the bottom first.</p>

<p>I think I would also enjoy finance. If I minored in business, I don't know if I would have enough skills to pursue a career in the business world if journalism didn't work out.</p>

<p>At Mizzou, a journalism minor would only educate me about the role of media in society and I wouldn't get any practical experience, like learning how to shoot and edit.</p>

<p>So, I'm thinking a double major is the way to go because I want to be well-trained in both fields. </p>

<p>I really need some advice.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>If you can handle it, a double major would be great. However, if you find that it’s too much, my recommendation would be to major in journalism, minor in finance, and work like hell to get an internship each summer at a publication or TV station where you’ll get finance coverage experience. I’m an editor at my paper, and I would much prefer hiring a business reporter with some internship experience and a finance minor than someone who double majored but brings no practical experience to the table. </p>

<p>If journalism doesn’t work out, you would definitely still have enough skills to pursue a communications job in the financial world – people who can communicate well are rare, and there are always job openings for people who can represent corporations well.</p>

<p>sea0tter12: Thank you so much for replying! I very much appreciate it! Would you still recommend the double major if it means taking 5 years to complete the degrees?</p>

<p>I really would like to work internationally like at al Jazeera. </p>

<p>Should I double major in finance and journalism or economics and journalism?</p>

<p>Chelsea, I am also a professional journalist and I think seaOtter is giving you excellent advice. I definitely feel that in 2013, anyone majoring in journalism had better have a two-pronged attack in mind. It’s scary out there! I like your idea of adding finance (which I feel might be more directly related to where you want to end up than economics) but I would never take five years at the bachelor’s level unless you have a full- or near-full-tuition scholarship. If it means going 5 years, opt for a finance minor instead. Remember that practical experience in the form of multiple internships is vital for a journalism major. Your interviewing editor will glance at your GPA, but give laser focus to your work experience.</p>

<p>orange2blue: Thanks for your help! I heard that at Mizzou, unless one has a 33 on the ACT, one doesn’t get to write for the newspaper, get recommended for internships etc. That makes me want to do finance. Would a Master’s in Journalism be better?</p>

<p>^Yes, either do a double major, major in something other than journalism and minor, or work on journalism for grad school…Columbia has the top J-school (graduate) in the nation and would set you up well for internships too.</p>

<p>CE527M: That’s what I’ll do then. Thanks!</p>