Should I go to UC San Diego or UC Davis?

UC San Diego

• Closer to home
  • More prestige

UC Davis

• I love the NorCal area
  • It’s closer to my sister, who lives in San Francisco (I miss her).
  • Scienes at San Diego are more impacted, so it might be hard for me to switch if I end up decided to do biology??
  • They have more majors I might consider (Food Science, dietics)
  • Closer to my boyfriend who will attend Berkeley (even though I know I’m not supposed to go to a school because of a boy… It’s still a plus)

My top was always Berkeley, but I’m pretty sure I got rejected. So I’m stuck between these two schools. Does the prestige of San Diego really outweigh Davis? Does that really matter?

My major is undeclared right now. I want to do something science related, but I might end up switching.
If I decide to get a Masters or go to med school, would Davis vs. San Diego really make a big difference?

The ‘prestige’ difference between SD and Davis is non-existant, particularly for some of the majors you’re suggesting here. The bigger factor is going to be which environment makes you happy. Given your statements here, you sound like you’re very sociable, motivated by close personal relationships as much as anything else.

Go to Davis. Friendliest school on the planet.

Kinda of putting the cart before the horse since decisions will not be out till March.

Wait for your decisions, visit during accepted student days and then make your decision.

If you get into both, these schools are a good place to be “stuck between”.

You really need to visit the campuses after you are accepted.

Big Big difference in environment! Free tutoring at Davis.

Davis is a biking campus and warm town. There are over 40K bikes on campus.
My dd2 went to Davis and loved it!

Both great schools. UCD’s prestige has gone up the past few years. UCD and UCSD are highly regarded with good undergraduate programs if you want to later pursue a health professional career like medicine, pharmacy, etc.

Who knows, maybe you’ll get accepted to UCB. Good luck!

Wait till you have decisions, then go visit (do an overnight if you can). Which college appeals to you for UCSD and whether you get Regents at UCD may sway you. In short: it’s too early to decide. :slight_smile:

@“aunt bea” Good to know about the free tutoring at Davis, I didn’t know they had that. UCSB also has that and it can be very helpful.

Based on experience and observation,

• Davis and UCSD have the same level of prestige. Sorry SD students!
  • Many students find the Davis campus much more fun than the SD campus.
  • The free tutors at Davis are subpar, but you get what you paid for.
  • Davis is a really friendly laid back city while La Jolla is not
  • Both schools are good for bio, Davis is the best in animal and plant science, and SD is the best in engineering

Which one has better English/Writing program?

If you’ve been accepted to Davis and UCSD then you got Regents I’m assuming? How do you know you were rejected from Berkeley or anywhere else?

No decisions have been posted for either school. Davis Regents are posted at the same time as all decisions in Mid-March.
UCSD has an early calling campaign targeting Underrepresented students in Early March and UCB has sent out no rejections yet so all this is moot until decisions are posted.

Regents invites were the only decisions I’ve seen posted, so I has confused…

@socalmom007 I don’t think OP has received any decision yet from UCSD or Davis. I think she was just making the prediction that she would likely be choosing between the two. She apparently didn’t get one of the early notifications from Berkeley, but she still may get an acceptance at the regular time near the end of March.

@Gumbymom Does the UCSD calling campaign still consist of calls to both Regents and URMs? Or maybe a certain percentage of the top applicants?

@BunnyBlue: as far as I know the calling campaign still targets URM and Regents recipients.

I haven’t gotten accepted to either yet! Sorry if this post confused people.
I was just wondering which would be a better choice, assuming if I got into both. If not, then I guess the decision will be made for me!