Should I pursue a double major?

I am a freshman at ASU studying Business Data Analytics(BDA). Recently, I have come to know a lot of people double majoring in BDA and Computer Information Systems(CIS), and also in BDA and Supply Chain Management. Should I also pursue one of these choices? I’m really confused.

Do you have interest in systems or supply chain ?

Both would add value with supply chain being a bullet proof major at ASU. Lots of employers.
But in the end, what is your interest ?

Both would be additive but it doesn’t mean either is right for you.

There’s also minors and / or other majors outside the b school.

Your degree, on its own, will be fine. The data industry is booming. But other skill sets and knowledge never hurt.

But make sure you have interest vs doing just because others are.

1 Like

You should double major or at least minor. I talk about this in another thread.

Data analysts/scientist benefit from having some kind of domain knowledge. This could be in a variety of fields including ones outside of business (STEM, a social science or humanity like geography, economics, etc). This will help solve problems that are the subject matter of the field you land in.

A second path is this…entry level analyst job postings frequently want a business degree like finance, marketing, accounting, or supply chain plus analytics skills. So, dual majors help you get that job more than a minor.

1 Like

CIS or MIS or CompSci give you breadth on the computing side. You can tackle harder problems and a lot more database work with one of those degrees

Talk to an advisor and see if it’s doable. Some schools have a lot of roadblocks for double majors.

Are the majors limited access? Trying to double major in popular majors can be a no-go because you’re taking a seat away from people who are competing for one major.

Then there’s meeting the Gen Ed requirements for multiple schools at the university.

S21 ran into this at FSU. He’ll have one major and multiple minors. He would’ve had to add another semester even though he brought AP credits. It also would’ve been his 4th choice major. Decided it wasn’t worth it.

As for specifically majoring in data analytics I’m not a fan. There aren’t any standards. Universities can house data analytics in the business school, CS or engineering. Program requirements could be strong in CS but weak in business or vice versa. It’s an unknown quantity.

I like S20’s path. He’s at Georgia Tech majoring in IE. The analytics track requires a number of CS classes. Sprinkle in some business classes and it’s a nice path. Grads are strong in math and CS. The end degree is Industrial Engineering which is a known quantity.

The best data scientists I’ve worked with are Math or Physics majors. Of the options on your list I would find out if you prefer supply chain or CS before picking a double major. Supply Chain would give you domain knowledge. CS would give you the technical background. Very different skills.

1 Like

Asu is like #1 in the country for Supply Chain so if you have any interest in the subject it’s “bulletproof” as @tsbna44 (who works in that business) said. Combine that with BDA and you’re in good shape for internships etc. But you could do Geography/GIS concentration and a lot of other majors/minors.
Are you in Barrett?

1 Like

Yes, you should definitely double major in one of those two options. BDA & CIS is a powerful combination. However, I suspect that BDA & Supply Chain Mgmt. is an easier combo. Higher pay in CIS.

1 Like

I have some background in coding and I know C++ and Java. Supply Chain is an unknown field for me. However, as @chmcnm said, I am not interested in the technical part of things. I woud much rather learn something new. But I don’t really have a great idea about SCM. What exactly does it entail? What jobs will I get after college as a double major in BDA and SCM? I did search quite a bit on the internet but it only left me feeling confused.

No, I am not in Barrett. What kind of internships can I apply to with the double major?

I know multiple students getting degrees in Accounting and Business Analytics also. My impression is they are getting internships with large accounting firms, with the substantive focus being accounting and the analytics seen as a plus for problem-solving.

I suggest exploring clubs in your area of interest: supply chain, accounting, whatever. The clubs are probably inviting speakers from and offering networking opportunities with the companies hiring interns from your school. That will give you the best info about what internships students are landing.

1 Like

Look for jobs seeking an analytics or statistics background. They will be there. Run an indeed search.

You don’t need a double major. It’s a nice to have.

Alright thank you so much guys!