Should I submit PSAT/SAT Scores?

Background:
I am a Sophomore in high school who lives in a pretty rural area. I have 100s across the board in all my classes and I’m taking a couple APs this year as my school began offering them.

Scores
I recently took the PSAT this October and scored a 1200. Looking online I’m seeing people in the 1300s and 1400s. While I don’t feel my score is my best, I scored 99th percentile in the state, 96th percentile in the U.S., and 92nd percentile for all test takers.

Freshman year I also took the PSAT and scored a 1220.

In early October I took the SAT and scored a 1250.

My question is, should I submit these scores, or will they hurt my application? A majority of the schools I’m applying to are test optional, but I don’t know if not submitting scores will hurt or help. I don’t want these schools to think I don’t deserve the grades I have, or that my course load is not rigorous.

I also want to note that I did not receive any accommodations for these tests because my counselor was unable to submit the 504 accommodation request in time. If I do chose to submit these scores, should I mention this? I feel like if I had received my accommodations I would have scored much better.

I was thinking about taking the SSAT, but I feel like I wouldn’t have enough time to prep and with all these testing fees, application fees, and other financial burdens, it seems a little expensive.

If they are test optional I would not submit those scores. Academics include School transcripts, any standardized testing and the rigor of your school.

You’re a sophomore. It’s too early to think about this. Take it again in spring of junior year when you have more learning under your belt.

@Lindagaf This student is asking about submitting with prep school applications this year, not college applications in a couple years.

Ah, thanks! I should have noticed that.

If you want to submit a test, it should be the one requested by the school, which is the SSAT.

I would not submit either the PSAT or SAT.

2 Likes