Should I take APUSH if I already took regular US History?

I find myself conflicted on what history class to take this year given the classes I’ve had in the past. I have already completed US History and World History at the honors level. With that said, my family moved and that means I have to adapt to the way things run at my new district. Other than AP World, the only AP history course offered is APUSH. While I understand that this is the typical class in social sciences for Juniors (like myself), will opting to take it hurt me given that I’ve already completed regular US History? I had always planned to take AP Euro or Econ but unfortunately that’s not currently an option.

It’s a common choice to take APUSH even having taken regular US history. In many districts, regular US history covers only post-Civil War history (with the earlier parts covered in elementary school and 8th grade). So APUSH is your chance to get the first part of the survey beyond the middle school level. Even if that’s not the case for you, it’s still a reasonable option.

1 Like

For college admissions purposes, I don’t think taking the most advanced history classes available at your new school will hurt you.

I also agree with the other poster that US History is not the sort of thing where you run out of things to learn easily. So while there might be some overlap, I think you will likely still find there is ample new material too.

2 Likes

Ap push is an extremely common AP to take and might not look good if you pass on it. Discuss with your HS counseler

An “A” in the required freshman US History class is a requirement to get placed into APUSH at our local HS … I can’t imagine we are the only school district that does it that way, so probably not out of the norm to have two US History classes.

1 Like