Should parents attend Bama Bound?

<p>Omama, I am sorry your DD had her wallet taken. That is one of those crummy life lessons that you hope you won’t have to encounter. </p>

<p>Thanks for the info about making a bank account. Does your DD use credit cards or debit cards? My DD doesn’t have either of those. I will have to look into that as well. We are from OOS too. </p>

<p>RobD, thanks for the reminder to create a post office box. Sounds like that will come in handy for “surprise” gifts from mom. I will start my list for BB.</p>

<p>My D doesn’t have a credit card, but she does have a debit card. There was a conversation on here about which bank to have the account at about this time last year. Our accounts are at Bank of America, which has locations in most parts of the country but not Tuscaloosa. D had opened up a Student Advantage account at the beginning of her senior year. It is easy for me to be able to transfer funds to her from our account, so we kept things that way. If she needs cash (which is very rare on campus) she can always make a purchase at Publix & get cash back or pay a fee at a out of network ATM.</p>

<p>Thanks RobD. I will look into opening the Student Advantage account and tie it to a debit card. SunTrust doesn’t have a branch in Tuscaloosa.</p>

<p>woohoo, there is a Wachovia in Tuscaloosa! That should come in handy for DS. :)</p>

<p>^Just don’t go and try looking for the Wachovia sign as it has changed to the Wells Fargo branding (same bank though).</p>

<p>While most of the major banks do not have branches in Tuscaloosa, there is little need for cash as most places accept credit/debit. If you’re just cashing the occasional check, Alabama CU is very convenient as it has at least 3 branches and several ATM’s on and near campus. In reality though, one doesn’t need a local account unless they really want one.</p>

<p>You can use Chase Bank if it is convenient for you, they have a college account and the student will pay no monthly fee (there are fees if you overdraft). The student needs to be 18. There are no chase branches near campus but a parent can transfer or deposit money close to home. To get cash, use debit card and take cash back (at a store like Publix )</p>

<p>In Alabama, a student cannot open a bank account without a parent until they are 19. So if your student wants an account on his own, open it elsewhere.</p>

<p>Bank of America also opens student accounts without a parent as early as age 16.</p>

<p>If your student will have a campus job they will need to have a “direct deposit form” from their bank as there will be no hardcopy paychecks.</p>

<p>^There is an option to go and pick up a paycheck or have it mailed to you the following week, but most students opt for direct deposit. Their first paycheck will be a paper one even if they request direct deposit.</p>