SIR Protocol revisited (acceptance, withdrawal and acceptance off waitlist)

What is the current protocol for SIR when you need to withdraw from one to accept another? I have accepted and submitted SIR to one UC. I have been accepted to 3 UCs and multiple privates, but also waitlisted at 4 schools that I MIGHT choose over my current choice. So, if I get off a waitlist and decide I prefer that school over the other, is it okay to first accept offer and THEN withdraw from the other? I’m very leery of withdrawing SIR before accepting (and getting confirm) from the other. So, when I emailed UC they said I could accept offer off waitlist first and then withdraw the other, but I’ve seen in other places they say the opposite. Also, is there a difference between doing this within UCs versus between a UC and a private. I certainly don’t want to deny others a spot, but I also don’t want to lose mine!

1 Like

I honestly think as long as you do it in a timely fashion (IOW, immediately) it doesn’t matter which order. When my D took her WL spot, we paid the deposit and she immediately emailed the other school with a subject that said something like “withdrawing registration.” She explained why. She also told them the school she was going to attend. We read somewhere that it was polite to do that. There were no issues, but of course the deposit was lost, which was expected.

2 Likes