So....what are you wearing to your kid's graduation?

Just went down a little rabbit hole on the MOB/MOG dress thread (I’m neither a MOB or MOG), so thought I’d start a thread about what you are wearing to graduation.

Although S23 will be graduating this June and attending graduation is mandatory for underclassmen, neither of us has ever attended graduation due to Covid. 9th grade was no graduation, 10th was graduates and family only, 11th DS was home with Covid.

I have no idea how formally people dress so I pulled up some pictures from last year’s graduation. It seems like it was “rich” casual. In other words, not dressy, but everything tailored enough that it looked classy and not messy. (Note: My usual style is oversized and messy. I am definitely not a good dresser).

I am short and full-figured and usually hate shopping but yesterday I hit Marshall’s after work and lucked out with some finds that I think will be graduation appropriate. I even found shoes which is usually not easy for me. And, most miraculously, nothing needs to be shortened. I wasn’t expecting to find anything, much less something I’d wear to graduation, so I’m pretty excited (not so much because I love what I found, but because it means I won’t have to go shopping again).

Night before graduation reception at Head’s house: Wide-legged white pants with a black floral pattern. Black shirt with interesting sleeves. Black flat sandals. Total surprise, as I never thought I could wear wide-legged pants without looking like I was short and wide. And the biggest shock was that they didn’t need to be shortened.

Graduation: White skinny “jeans” (not jeans but that cut?) with a flattering orange shirt (can’t remember the cut of it) and cute wedge sandals in the same color. I was surprised how flattering this was on me. I never thought I could get away with white “skinny” pants.

I’m thinking I will wear the “dressier” outfit on Friday night for the Head’s reception as graduation is outside, might be really hot and we have to pack up and hit the road immediately after the luncheon that follows graduation.

We do have a little boutique in town that I was planning on hitting up, but I really don’t think I’ll do any better than what I’ve already found (not to mention that one t-shirt there would cost more than my entire haul at Marshall’s). I’m running it by my fashion queen daughter this weekend just to make sure it looks as good as I think it does.

9 Likes

Sounds great! Last year for my oldest son’s college graduation I wore a dress, but it was a sundress so nothing fancy.

I hear you on the pants and finding things for shorter people. I am 5’1” and it is not easy to find things that work and fit correctly.

1 Like

As a 5’1 woman with an inseam of 26.5 inches, I felt this 100%. I have to buy 7/8ths leggings/Capris to fit me like normal length. Also get all my pants hemmed. :rofl:

2 Likes

My kid isn’t graduating until next year, but I hear you on the fashion sense. Or lack of interest.

Congrats on finding something that works for you at Marshalls. That’s probably what I’ll end up doing. (It’s the nearest place, anyhow.)

1 Like

Sounds perfect, @vwlizard. You’ll look and feel great in those new clothes and can focus on simply enjoying your student’s milestone. Congratulations!

And congratulations to all who are celebrating the class of '23. You’ve come a long way since that first drop off.

2 Likes

I have literally been looking for months! Our (high school) graduation has a “casual” but I am sure fancy, rich, East Coast casual- which we are not…dinner with parents and seniors Friday. All day activities at the school Saturday (play, music concert, dance concert) followed by a parent donor cocktail party, then a dinner dance for seniors and all their guests, the brunch and graduation Sunday. I am at my wits end! I even tried signing up for a clothing rental company and it was a disaster, and they refunded me. I have bought and returned several things. I do have a dress and shoes for graduation. I like them ok but just wore to my son’s JROTC banquet and think I look like a grandma from the 1930’s in the photos (long floral dress and cardigan)
I am 52, 5’-5” and thin/athletic but everything I buy looks awful on me. I have been to the mall, the outlet mall and everywhere in between. I am about to just wear a boring dress that I got when my senior was 4 years old.
Every time we visit her the moms all look SO put together.
Spent 4 hours shopping on Mother’s Day and ended up with one pair of white jeans.

2 Likes

My youngest doesn’t graduate until 2025 but my oldest graduated back in 2017. Both at large public universities, 2 ceremonies each (one departmental, one college-wide), college-wide ceremonies are outdoors in the football stadiums.

For my oldest, I wore dark dress pants and a nice top to the departmental ceremony. It was later in the afternoon and was followed by her group grad party (12 of the families got together and split the cost of renting a space in the college town). The big, college-wide one was the next morning, outdoors as I mentioned, held rain or shine. For that one I wore a casual knee-length dress that was the color blue of her university and comfortable shoes for walking. I had seen many graduation pictures from all types of colleges, and noticed that many moms wore casual dresses in university colors. I liked that idea so I did the same.

I’ll do something similar when my youngest graduates. Even though they both attend(ed) public universities, the vibe at my older daughter’s U was more upscale than where my younger daughter goes. I often stressed about whether I was dressed “right” when going to events at my older D’s U. Younger D’s is refreshingly more “come as you are”.

omg! I had this dress that is not for every day use, but not too formal. I was able to fit in : ) it fits perfectly.
It has been such a long long journey to keep weight down. So I feel happy I got a dress. Somehow, shopping for graduation stress me out since I have to think about a lot of details, outdoors/weather, comfort vs style, etc., etc.,

2 Likes