So what was the verdict on toasters/toasterovens

<p>^^ Well, to make it even harder, each room is limited to 1800 watts of usage at any one time. It’ll be like an RV, where you have to air dry your hair and turn off the AC to run the microwave (although I don’t think the University supplied AC and microwave are included in that limit - at least I hope they’re not!).</p>

<p>the new wave is 1300 watts. <a href=“https://www.nuwavecooktop.com/[/url]”>Induction Cooktops, Woks & Non-stick Cookware | NuWaveNow;

<p>It is 1800 watts/ suite? </p>

<p>I think I need to see what my son’s computer electronics all add up to. I bet is is more than that.</p>

<p>Here’s what I was looking at. I’m reading it as per room, not per suite.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Are convection ovens allowed?</p>

<p>“Are convection ovens allowed?”</p>

<p>No.:)</p>

<p>I think I need to see what my son’s computer electronics all add up to. I bet is is more than that.</p>

<p>Probably not…things that heat or cool are what use the most power…blow dryers, flat irons, etc.</p>

<p>^^ makes sense…</p>

<p>vlines…how much wattage does that induction plate use? </p>

<p>Stainless steel has to be used, so no non-stick cookware.</p>

<p>it depends. The one I really like from amazon is 1800, the nu wave is 1300- and comes with non-stick cookware that can be used on it.</p>

<p>The contradictory statements concerning toasters being allowed have been around for at least 3 years. Every year people mention the contradiction and Housing does not update the website/forms. Maybe things will change this year. :)</p>

<p>As long as one has paperwork saying that toasters are allowed, UA must allow you to have a toaster. UA is free to remove the offending paperwork, but like Cell Phone companies that change contract terms mid-contract, the other party (the student) would likely be able to get out of the contract without penalty.</p>

<p>As for there being an 1800-Watt limit per room/suite, that appears to be an outdated rule that does not take into account non-traditional dorms. One could easily go over 1800 watts by using a microwave and hair dryer at the same time. While each building’s energy usage is occasionally posted, there are no “energy police” checking the energy usage of each suite. I also don’t recall seeing energy meters for individual suites, but they might be hidden in the utility closets.</p>

<p>It would also be helpful to teach your students what RAs, Community Directors, Police Officers, etc. can and cannot check without probable cause and/or a warrant. For example, RA’s can open the common refrigerators, but cannot open personal refrigerators. </p>

<p>Best of luck in the dorm room outfitting process. Remember that most freshmen will have unlimited meal plans and will likely not need as many cooking implements as you may have at home. That said, if there is a favorite food that they will want to make, make sure to pack the needed supplies. </p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Toasters, like other appliances with open heating elements (toaster ovens, space heaters, etc.) are prohibited in the residence halls because of the risk of fire. Toasters are listed on the list of “What not to Bring” on our move in web site, and this is the official policy on toasters.</p>

<p>Alicia Browne</p>

<p>Toasters and toaster ovens are not allowed in residence halls. Crockpots are not prohibited.</p>

<p>UAHousing - where we can get an updated version of the official housing policies? I’m assuming there is one since the version that we linked to previously has been taken down.</p>