So ... when is everybody going back?

<p>I don’t think the University ever “bought” the Bluffs…they contracted a large block of rooms to house students as if they were on campus. But I believe that was always a temporary arrangement until more on-campus housing (like Ridgecrest West) opened up.</p>

<p>I’ll have to recheck my sources.</p>

<p>It’s pretty easy to find off-campus housing. You can find all types of housing ranging from opulent student-oriented off-campus condo complexes like Lake Tamaha to old houses in the historic districts bordering campus. Be aware that most landlords do not rent to students without a parent co-sign. Some do not even rent to undergraduates, period.</p>

<p>Mesquite and I have been hearing the same rumors, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the Bluff weren’t UA on-campus housing in a few years, because I think the Bluff has a lot of rooms not filled with students. I also don’t think they are going to evict upperclassmen from honors dorms although I think upperclassmen will be pretty much locked into their current dorms and be unable to switch. When the North Bluff community opens I think many of these concerns will be alleviated, but housing is going to become a bigger issue if more and more of us with housing scholarships (or without housing scholarships, but without cars) desire to stay on campus and freshmen classes continue to grow in size.</p>

<p>This news article from 2008 supports my supposition that the Bluff was always meant as a temporary solution until housing demand leveled off.</p>

<p>[Faced</a> with overflowing dorms, UA leases apartment complex | TuscaloosaNews.com](<a href=“http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20080903/NEWS/809020177]Faced”>http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20080903/NEWS/809020177)</p>

<p>edgymama - son gets in at 8:20 and with waiting for luggage (yeah for Southwest), your son’s plane should be arriving so hanging out for a little while sure beats each of us paying full shuttle price. I’ll check with e-shuttle (best shared price I’ve been given) and I’ll PM you. Anyone else need to be added let me know. </p>

<p>Sea_tide: I’ll have to talk to housing about re-evaluating some shuttle times. With more of us coming in from the West Coast if we’re not lucky enough to get first flight out with connections we’re getting in too late (conversely leaving too early, although hanging out for a flight home beats missing ride to campus). I did try to request a “possible wait” from shuttle and was told S must be ready for pick up at time noted, they wouldn’t wait.</p>

<p>When do classes begin ?</p>

<p>Jan 12 - a week from tomorrow</p>

<p>I think Bama will still need The Bluff at least until more honors housing is built. I don’t know if Bama bought it or is leasing a building or what. I know that the apts around my son’s apt all have students in them, and he’s in building #3. </p>

<p>With the growing number of NMFs on campus, and an expectation that housing is needed for them, wihle also growing freshmen classes, Bama needs more honors housing.</p>

<p>Yikes!
D was planning on returning to campus on Monday but I see that there is snow in the forecast for Tuscaloosa. She’s taking her car down for the spring semester and I’m hoping she won’t have to deal with dangerous driving conditions.
I wonder if Tuscaloosa deals with snow the way we do in Memphis? Here, as soon as snow is forecast everyone runs out to panic shop clearing out the groceries of bread, milk & toilet paper. If we get more than an inch all the schools and most businesses will shut down, and more than that will find cars abandoned on the side of the road. Southerners cannot drive in snow - don’t even get me started on ice. I can say this because I am a native.</p>

<p>I sure hope the weather cooperates for spring move in!</p>

<p>Hey Timeflew! I’m having the same concern, but either DH or I will be driving as D1 won’t have a car on campus (D2 just got her permit.) </p>

<p>I follow a weather site tennesseewx.com and asked this morning about the timing of the storm. According to the models that are coming out today, it’s supposed to hit Sunday night into Monday. I’ve already told D1 that we will be leaving earlier than planned (by 9 or 10 on Sunday morning) so we can get her down there, take her to Publix & get back home before dark. </p>

<p>Can your D shift her plans to leaving on Sunday?</p>

<p>That may be the wisest plan. I know SHE is ready to go back NOW, but wanted to attend a local thing Sunday night. I may have to send her packing Sunday morning to save my sanity. I’m a worrier.<br>
Wonder if I should buy her bread & tp here before she leaves, lol.</p>

<p>My son checked the long-range forecast the other day. Snow on Sunday. That’s the day he’s flying back.</p>

<p>Timeflew: we did the big Target run last night & picked up a semester’s worth of non-food stuff.</p>

<p>Momreads: it’s not supposed to start until the “evening” so your S should be OK with his flight…unless they change the forecast ;)</p>

<p>So, what is the Bluff? Is off-campus housing cheaper? After freshman year, should Honors students go the off-campus route to save money? (Still really new to all this.)</p>

<p>The Bluffs is an apartment complex that is managed as part of Alabama’s housing. It is for the upperclassmen. Here’s the link on the UA housing website ([Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/halls/hall_list.cfm]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/halls/hall_list.cfm))</p>

<p>If your student is NM, then honors housing is part of the package. My son has several friends who are in honors but not NM who do live off-campus, mainly to save some money.</p>

<p>BTW, timeflew, my son has your daughter beat. He had his suitcase packed more than a week ago.</p>

<p>The Bluff are super nice apartments that are physically off campus (located off of Jack Warner). However, the university has some control over a large section of the apartments (rented/contracted with the Bluff) so people with housing scholarships, such as myself, can use our scholarship there. When I say nice, I mean UBERnice. Beautiful kitchens, lovely floorplans, etc. Only problem is, its getting harder and harder to get into a place there due to demand and other things.</p>

<p>Off campus housing can be cheaper, but it can be more expensive. It really just depends on where you want to live and with how many people. As has been said many times before, Ttown has a wide range of housing.</p>

<p>Thanks, Mesquite and momreads!</p>

<p>Older son is in The Bluff this year…loves it!</p>

<p>Granite countertops in the kitchen, stainless steel appliances, walk-in closets, bathtubs, and your own washer and dryer.</p>

<p>My son has quite a deep balcony. We bought him a patio set that fits nicely there with plenty of extra room.</p>

<p>The NMF scholarship covers it.</p>

<p>WOW–granite countertops? That’s nicer than what we have at home, LOL!`</p>

<p>Well you’re paying for it…I just looked up the rates - the Bluff is $11,200 for a two-bedroom for a year! If that’s per person - that’s insane…that averages to $930 per person per month.</p>