So....who has had a covid vaccine?

I agree! I spent most of the night wondering “do I feel normal? I’m always tired on Friday night, but is this normal?” That kept my mind racing.

My workplace site didn’t give us anything about v-safe, but H’s did. I didn’t register the last time, but did for this one. I thought my weird 94-95 degree temp reading should be noted somewhere. It’s been 98 degrees ever since my shower. I took a nap after lunch and have been completely fine and clear headed since. I woke up almost exactly 24 hours after the shot.

3 Likes

Had a light-medium case of Covid in January. Got Moderna shot #1 about 1 month later. At the time the jury was “still out” regarding whether or not to get it, how soon, which one (if there was a choice), potential worse side effects, etc. I had the opportunity for the vaccine, so decided to take it.

I had very few side effects with the vaccine: a slightly sore arm, but it was worse with the Shingrix shot last year. On day 2, it felt like I might be headed for a fever, but it wasn’t bad enough to even check. That was all.

Some recent studies indicate only one vaccine shot might be necessary for those who had Covid. We’ll see if there are any specific recommendations when I’m scheduled for Shot #2.

2 Likes

I just had Dose 2 of Moderna yesterday and kept waiting for side effects to kick in but nothing other than a sore arm which is basically gone already. Hoping I’m past the window and made it without the crappy feelings that my brother and ex-husband had.

Very thankful to have gotten the vaccine. My parents both get their second dose next week. Now with the JNJ approval today, and the influx about to come in the next few months I hope my husband and remaining 2 children that haven’t received it can get it and everyone else who has been trying to get it can get it. Stay safe everyone. We’re not yet at the point we can let our guards down.

2 Likes

There’s talk in PA of moving teachers/educators into the current group being vaccinated. I’m hopeful. Otherwise we were behind smokers and our health spokesperson said it would likely be summer before they got to us.

Wow that stinks. IL (mainly my county) put teachers and other school staff at the front of the line in group 1b. I just had my 2nd dose last week. My parents happen to be getting their second doses tomorrow because I was able to get them in somewhere that was taking elderly also as well as teachers. Now we’ve opened up to more groups within 1b. I think things will move faster now with JNJ and more increased distribution of the other vaccines too. I was happy to see that JNJ here is being focused in the minority areas and mobile vaccine sites where people are less likely to come in for a second vaccine and where issues with temperature of the vaccine and access to getting it are limited. The United Center is also going to be a vaccine site and they’re on the West Side of the city will hopefully also encourage more minorities to take advantage and come get it. The biggest problem is still the online registration and I think they need to make sign up available other ways to people who either don’t have online access, or just are not able to use the internet for whatever reason. We need to hit these populations and get them vaccinated as well so they have the same opportunities as everyone else for the vaccine if they want it.

1 Like

I’m not sure I’m as happy that Illinois is prioritizing JNJ into minority areas. I really hope that there isn’t a perception of a two tiered system.

My husband with 2 comorbidities does not want the JNJ vaccine as he feels it’s not effective enough. He wants one of the other vaccines and why not? It’s more effective and he has more reasons to be worried about Covid. Can he get the more effective vaccine later? Will a second shot of JNJ be more effective.

I’m resigned to the fact that the only vaccine I’ll be able to get is the JNJ.

I just see a lot of issues with people wanting to get a vaccine they perceive as not as good. They are finding that in Europe with the AstraZeneca vaccine, people want to wait until they can get one of the more effective vaccine.

1 Like

100% effectiveness at preventing hospitalizations and death, that is pretty darn effective.

The JNJ vaccine was testing in very different settings, against higher levels of vaccines and different variants, as the experts say, we shouldn’t be comparing percentages directly.

I think we will all end up getting boosters anyway, I’d be jumping on the first vaccine I could get.

8 Likes

Why not get one dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna which has the same effectiveness in one dose as the one dose JNJ?

I’m not saying that JNJ doesn’t prevent death or hospitalization. What I’m saying is the perception that the others are “better” and people want the best. Not good. But best.

When doctors say that they would get JNJ, I want to say “but you got the other, more effective ones”. You didn’t have to settle for the less effective one.

I am very pro vaccine, I am pretty educated about this. If I’m having these questions, how many others are also?

Also if I’m a young healthy adult, I’m probably ok with good. If I have issues and suspect that Covid will be hard on me, why wouldn’t I want the better one.

And can I get the better one later, when they have more supply if I get JNJ if that’s all they have? The questions are many for me with JNJ

Why not get whatever is available first, then, after all vaccines are generally available, get the one you prefer if it is a different one? If you wait for the preferred one, you will spend extra weeks or months unvaccinated instead of having the (still very good) vaccine protection of any of the available vaccines that you may get first.

3 Likes

That’s my question. If we get the one dose JNJ, can we get Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna one later? Or are we stuck with the JNJ? How does that work?

Why wouldn’t you be able to get a different vaccine for the same virus later (in the absence of a vaccine shortage)?

People do it all the time with other vaccines, such as Shingrix after previously having gotten Zostavax, or yearly flu vaccines of varying brands and formulations. The measles booster recommended for people born in the early days of the less effective measles vaccine is obviously a different formulation from the early less effective measles vaccine that the people in question presumably got.

2 Likes

It isn’t a two-tiered system at all. It has to do with making the vaccine as accessible to everyone as possible. I would be thrilled to get JNJ if I wasn’t already vaccinated. My husband hasn’t yet been vaccinated and if that’s the one that came up for him, fantastic. Do some research and you’ll see what the results were of the the JNJ tests. No deaths, and fewer hospitalizations than the other vaccines. This is the key data. Most people will not have a choice when it comes to which vaccine they get. You sign up, you show up and that’s what you get. That’s what happened to me. I couldn’t choose Moderna or Pfizer. Being resigned to only getting JNJ is not bad at all and be happy you’d be able to get any vaccine when so many people in other countries are not.

There are plenty of Dr’s who got Pfizer that wanted Moderna and Dr’s who wanted Moderna that got Pfizer. They didn’t get to choose what they wanted. They got what was available.

You should also look up Dr Wen who is often a contributor on CNN. She is part of the JNJ trial and she has no issues with having gotten that vaccine. One is not better than the other. JNJ just happened to be ready third. Having a vaccine even that is 70% effective is pretty damn good and these are all way above that. They didn’t expect that for any of these. Furthermore, JNJ is showing efficacy against the variants and you definitely want that.

They’re all probably going to require boosters. It’s not worth waiting for what may or may not be available because the risk of getting ill is not worth the upside of what you view to be a greater vaccine.

There is less and less vaccine hesitancy out there. We started around 60% of people wanting it when it was available and are now at 77%. By May anyone who wants a vaccine will be able to get it, however, it’s not like buying apples where you can just pick the kind you want.

2 Likes

I’d be thrilled with J&J. It does what it’s supposed to do – keep us out of hospitals and prevent death. I just want to get ONE soon!

8 Likes

You can get however many different vaccines as you want, although doctors advise waiting 3-4 weeks between them. I will take whatever I can get as soon as I am eligible. J&J would be great:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN29K2IT

J&J has been tested on 44,000 people, which is 14,000 more than the others. It was tested during the height of the virus in the US, and was also tested in South Africa and Latin America.

Right now, I have to worry that I’m randomly one of the youngish, healthy people whose immune system has a dysfunctional response to the virus, which will land me in the hospital and/or kill me. I would love to have any protection from that reaction.

I can always get another vaccine later, when they are more available, and we have more data. I would like data on the vaccine preventing long Covid, for example. But in the meantime, I just want to get something!

4 Likes

What I’m saying is not what is true when you deep dive into the data. But what people in the United States perception is of the JNJ vaccine. They only see 95% for the first two vaccines and 72% for JNJ.

I’ve read the information, I’ve paid attention to what the tv and newspapers are saying. I’m not the person you need to convince.

People see 95%, the best. 72% not the best. When you are trying to convince POC and you decide to rollout the vaccine with a 72% effective rate in their communities, I think they will see a two tier system in their eyes.

Rich white people get the 95% vaccine while we get the 72% one. My rich doctor got the 95% one but I have to get the 72% one.

I think it will be a hard climb for the government. I hope I’m wrong.
It’s what they are seeing in Europe, why wouldn’t we see it here?

I’m not arguing that people shouldn’t get the vaccine that is offered. I’m talking about how people who don’t follow this closely are going to see this. In my opinion.

3 Likes

In Illinois there are also plenty of vaccines available in minority neighborhoods at Walgreens and Moderna if people want them. The problem is, they aren’t signing up for them or going there. Accessibility is the issue which is why they’re setting up the mobile vaccine trucks and sending doses to those areas among others. If low income people were willing to actual go and get them, they could get the Moderna or Pfizer, but they aren’t, so the vaccine has to be brought to them on these trucks and they need to be educated and convinced to get it and make it as easy for them as possible to do so to encourage them to get it.

I would have no issue getting a vaccine of 72% efficacy if I knew I wouldn’t die if I did get covid or end up in the hospital from it. That is better than the 95% result from the other vaccines which did show more hospitalizations and deaths.

2 Likes

PA shouldn’t add anyone to the current group until the vaccine supply increases, just as they shouldn’t have add 65 and older when they did.

Many posters here have argued for age prioritization with few or no other priority groups. Of course, age prioritization skews the priority groups by race (White people tend to be better represented among older people). Then the competitive signups on the overloaded web sites have resulted in higher SES people within the priority groups getting most of the vaccines (even at vaccine places in lower SES areas). Apparently the only case where lower SES people got most of the vaccine was the one in a low SES area of Philadelphia where people had to queue up outside in the cold weather (no advance signups for high SES people to grab ahead of time). Posters here called it a “disaster”, but perhaps low SES people who may not have the money to heat their homes were willing to queue up in the cold weather more than high SES people chasing web appointments from the comfort of their heated homes.

So inequity or perceived inequity in health care is nothing new in COVID-19 vaccine or other health care issues, including COVID-19 itself (which kills minorities are higher rates, but no one here is arguing for raising the priority of minorities for vaccines).

1 Like

Good point. Can’t one argue also that minorities have more health issues so for states that have opened up the vaccine to anyone with a health issue over the age of 16 means that there is inequity there towards more minorities being eligible since they have more health issues, mainly due to lack of seeking healthcare and lack of access among other things, but again, one can argue that is perceived inequity as well. Not saying it’s right, but everyone will argue it’s unfair.

I think I saw somewhere that CT is now vaccinating anyone over the age of 55! I mean come on, how is that right when there are elderly not vaccinated? So again, we can all find some part of it unfair. It is not perfect that is for sure. My husband is the very last in the group at age 62. It is what it is. If someone doesn’t want the JNJ vaccine, then move over, he’ll gladly take it. So will my 18 year old.