Social Science programs between 10th-11th and 11th-12th

This is for Summer of ‘24 and ‘25 so no worries if deadlines already passed.

Any well-respected programs or suggestions for finding research or summer internship opportunities in:

• politics/political science
  • history
  • philosophy

Thank you in advance! I tried googling but mostly just came up with STEM opportunities or creative writing, not social sciences or other humanities.

I don’t know of any special programs, but in case you don’t find anything better, some options would include taking summer classes in those subjects through your local community college and interning with a local politician (such as assembleymember, state senator, etc - my daughter did summer internships with both an assembleymember and a state senator and enjoyed them).

1 Like

Check out NSLI-Y. Fantastic program funded by the U.S. Department of State to encourage high school students to study “Critical Languages.” It is a competitive, merit scholarship, but no prior language study is required. Ideally, the student plans to use the language in their future career (often as a Political Science or International Relations Major). The program sends teens overseas for 7 weeks of cultural immersion and language study.

2 Likes

Thank you—I am helping my son look. How did your daughter go about getting the internships and what sort of work did they have her doing?

She just cold contacted their offices. She’s into environment, so she focused on things like climate literacy initiatives (she gave a formal presentation to the assemblymember on that based on her research), she also complied news digests (on general topics) for the senator and researched state budget and funding, etc.

2 Likes

NIAHD program in American history at William & Mary. It’s for college credit and takes students on field trips to historic sites in Virginia. On Saturdays, the students have the option of participating in an archaeological dig.

2 Likes