Sophomore On-campus Housing

<p>DD wants to stay on campus her sophomore year, but housing advised her to find something off-campus. What are the chances that she can stay in Ridgecrest South? If she does not stay on campus, she wants to be in walking distance of sorority row. Several of her friends are already signing leases on houses in this area, though. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions about what she should do?</p>

<p>Has Housing advised her specifically, or has she just gotten the e-mail saying there may not be enough room for everyone on campus so students should start exploring off-campus options? Those e-mails were sent last year also, and there were sophomores (including my D) who signed up for on-campus housing at the earliest opportunity and were able to stay on campus. This year the large Presidential II dorm will be coming on-line, and I’ve got to think that will relieve the housing crunch somewhat. Obviously there’s not room for the new freshmen AND all of the existing freshmen who are living on-campus, so I think Housing has to warn rising sophomores that there may not be room for them. Of course many (most?) sophomores don’t WANT to stay on campus. I think it would be prudent to look around to see what off-campus housing is available, although I have to admit we didn’t last year and relied on signing up early and getting on-campus housing, notwithstanding the warnings from Housing. My D was just not ready last October or November, when she hadn’t even been on campus for 3 months, to choose where and with whom she wanted to live off-campus the following year. This year we’re fairly certain she will not be able to stay on campus, so we’re looking. At some popular complexes you need to at least be on their list by November.</p>

<p>It is definitely lease signing time. </p>

<p>My DD and several of her sorority sisters are signing leases at East Edge today - they just got the phone call yesterday that the type of room they wanted was available. As much as someone might may want to stay at RCS, I would be concerned whether a room would actually be available given the growth in enrollment and the HC. We toured East Edge on Family Weekend - its new, gorgeous and with roommates a little less expensive than RCS. Its not a short walk, but it is walkable to sorority row or you can catch the bus.</p>

<p>Edit - DD got on the reservation list a few days after Family Weekend. Other friends who got on the list a few days later still have not gotten the phone call saying there is a room available - I can’t remember when the renewal deadline is for current residents.</p>

<p>East Edge looks amazing! And furnished, which is a huge plus :). Anybody else have any other suggestions for off campus housing apartment complexes? I’m thinking ahead, which seems to be a requirement when you have a student at Alabama :D.</p>

<p>^^ <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1549273-east-edge-apts-vs-lofts-city-center.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1549273-east-edge-apts-vs-lofts-city-center.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Houndstooth Condos are walking distance to sorority row (and the rest of campus too, but they are on the stadium side of campus so they are an easy walk to the sorority houses).</p>

<p>[Welcome</a> to Houndstooth Condominiums. You Love Crimson. You Live Here.](<a href=“http://www.houndstoothcondos.com%5DWelcome”>http://www.houndstoothcondos.com)</p>

<p>Beth’s mom, housing did not advise her specifically to find off-campus housing. They just STRONGLY suggested it. She has looked at East Edge and liked it, and we liked that it is furnished. It is about one mile to her sorority which is about the same as she is walking now, so that is ok too. Sounds like, though, she needs to decide now or all of the units will be gone. She is also just not ready to decide what she wants to do next year; it is just October. :frowning: </p>

<p>Thanks for the help. I love that CC has so many knowledgeable people that can offer suggestions.</p>

<p>The current soph. students who wanted to stay on campus this year were able to do so because their dedicated parents were online and clicked to recontract EXACTLY at the time the option to recontract opened. Not sure with Pres. II opening how much that will factor in this year, but for this year, a few minutes (maybe even seconds - we never did find out the exact stats) mattered.</p>

<p>D and sorority sisters turned in applications yesterday at East Edge.
Dollar for dollar, East Edge > The Lofts when everything is taken into account, incl parking pass and all</p>

<p>This complex is under construction on Hackberry Lane beside Jack’s and is scheduled to open for Fall 2014:</p>

<p>[Central</a> Park - Apartment in Tuscaloosa, AL](<a href=“http://www.tuscaloosaapartmentguide.com/Alabama/Tuscaloosa/Apartment/1876/Central-Park.html]Central”>Central Park - Apartment in Tuscaloosa, AL)</p>

<p>It would be a shorter walk than East Edge.</p>

<p>I’m pretty sure these are new, too.</p>

<p><a href=“Gramercy Park - Apartment in Tuscaloosa, AL”>Gramercy Park - Apartment in Tuscaloosa, AL;

<p>Most complexes are offering renewals to current residents now with a deadline of the first part of December.</p>

<p>For students with cars are who are willing to plan around the shuttles provided by the complexes, they can find some good deals at places like The Woodlands or The Retreat since those are now the ‘older’ complexes (built more than 3 years ago). (They are still within a few miles from campus and my S will occasionally ride his bike from The Woodlands to campus).</p>

<p>My S was very happy with his choice to live at the Woodlands and I’m pretty happy paying less than $600/month for a furnished unit that includes utilities.</p>

<p>I think it is always a good idea to goole search or search the local news media/paper regarding safety of any apartment complex you may consider. Statistics of crime reported to TPD are available for sure, but probably not for those patrolled by UAPD or private security. Interested parties may also want to find out if a property operated under a different name in previous years as some have done. Crime can occur anywhere, but the history can be a helpful tool in evaluating a potential property.</p>

<p>We went with EE for several reasons:

1. Within walking distance of campus and sorority house.
    *** This is a huge plus as D will be rooming with 3 other girls in her house.
    That whole “safety in numbers” played a huge part. The girls can all walk back to their apartment together after meetings or whatever sorority events.<br>
  2. No need to buy a parking pass.<br>
  3. No need to worry about game day parking. Another HUGE PLUS.
  4. Fully furnished.
  5. All utilities included, with a cap which is pretty standard.
  6. If they renew the lease from year to year there is no need to move out and have to move back in. YEA! We don’t have to deal with renting a truck twice and a storage unit over the summer. Yes, means more rent but it is worth it to us and being OOS. Huge deal being in a sorority so she has her place when she shows back up a week or 2 before rush.<br>
  7. All the reviews seemed to be pretty good. I’ve googled almost every one of the area property management groups and saw some that have several complexes that I want nothing to do with.<br>
  8. Security. This is actually higher up on the list.<br>
  9. D wanted a house but those are too hard to find in the MX-5 area and it is way too iffy. Who knows from year to year if the owner is going to sell, tear down, have their own family/friend stay there, etc. </p>

<p>*** Make sure your S/D has a checkbook to make their deposits. Some complexes have coupons available if they write a check for the deposit. At EE it is a $50 discount giving a check for the deposit instead of a c/c. Also, a friend ran into an issue this year at her S’s school for his off campus apartment. They give discounts for rent paid by check vs online, c/c or direct deposit.</p>

<p>Here’s a good site to check for discounts on apartment deposits, food, other services, and other retail goods. The app for smartphones took the place of the old coupon books that could be found lying around in previous years.</p>

<p>[University</a> of Alabama Coupons | Order Food Online - Campus Special](<a href=“http://www.campusspecial.com/alabama/coupons/]University”>http://www.campusspecial.com/alabama/coupons/)</p>

<p>Just a suggestion, but verify your move in date when signing a lease…especially for early move in activities.</p>

<p>At East Edge, if your students pays the $225 application fee by credit card, they will refund you the $50 by check, but the student has to show the voucher and ask for the refund. Or they will leave the $50 as a credit on the student’s account to be applied towards future rent.</p>

<p>EE also employs Community Assistants for those whose students might be interested.</p>

<p>[Join</a> Our Team](<a href=“East Edge Apts | Apartments For Rent In Tuscaloosa, AL”>East Edge Apts | Apartments For Rent In Tuscaloosa, AL)</p>

<p>Well, since the title is on campus housing, if your daughter is in honors, she may find that there are other returning honors sophomores who want to stay together on campus. Just like many returning sophomores seemed to fill up Ridgecrest East, your daughter may find others who want to stay at Ridgecrest South and she won’t be alone as an upperclassman in her dorm. Because there is no longer a housing scholarship for upperclassmen, and the new Presidential Village II will be completed, your daughter may just be able to stay on campus next year.</p>

<p>I would at least try to sign up for housing and try your luck.</p>

<p>Are deposits on apartment complexes nonrefundable, and if so, how much money are you talking about?</p>

<p>I know many of us risked $200 to get early housing at Bama while we were still awaiting college decisions, but I don’t know if I’d be willing to risk much more than that to hold an apartment, but considering my child’s safety, I would be willing to put some deposit down on an off campus option in case housing doesn’t come through.</p>

<p>For EE with the discount the deposit was $175.</p>

<p>yeah, what montegut said sounds like a good option to me. pick a place and put down a deposit. if you don’t have to sign the lease until some future time (hopefully after the on-campus assignments have been made) then you will be out a deposit if you do, indeed, get a spot on campus. if not, then you are set with a place of your choosing.</p>

<p>idk if this plan would work, but if it would, it might be the way to go. maybe some other parents would know when an actual lease has to be signed.</p>

<p>be sure to do the re-contracting step as soon as it opens.</p>

<p>Just my two cents, but if it only cost you $175 to secure an apartment at East Edge, which seems to be a reputable community, I’d put that down, but still try to get on campus housing. You can make up the loss in lower meal plan, gas money, and definitely, time. </p>

<p>I assume you would forfeit the $175 if you got on campus housing and cancelled your East Edge, but at least a needy student would be able to get your spot at East Edge if you go the on campus way.</p>

<p>Oops. Cross posted with Mike. Yes, be sure not to sign a lease which commits you to pay a year of rent before you know you have on campus housing. I wouldn’t want to have to mess with finding someone to sublet my space, much less lose all that money, too.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>