Sororities and Race?

<p>Would a panhellenic sorority accept an African American as a new memeber here? And if not is the racism overt or just a result of deeply rooted values that may not have anything to do with currents members being racist just tradition</p>

<p>if you do a search, you should find a couple threads on this topic.</p>

<p>as it stands now, there are no AA women in panhellenic sororities at UA. i think it has mostly to do with tradition, and not so much that the actual girls in the houses wouldn’t accept an AA member.</p>

<p>the reasons i have read for <em>not</em> accepting AA women are kind of lame, IMO.</p>

<p>it could happen soon, but nobody can say for sure.</p>

<p>[Black</a> student gets bid to white sorority | TuscaloosaNews.com](<a href=“http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20030819/NEWS/308190343]Black”>http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20030819/NEWS/308190343)</p>

<p>well, then, i guess it has already happened, but that was 10 years ago. i did hear about this, but i guess i forgot. :)</p>

<p>I’m from Alabama and I know a lot of girls who are currently in sororities at UA. It’s definitely a touchy/awkward subject because the girls in the sororities are not racist at all. But because of tradition most will not accept an African American woman for membership.</p>

<p>My son was in an integrated fraternity at UA, and he’s told me about the race relations issues in Greek life. One Panhellenic sorority (Sigma Delta Tau) is integrated completely. Many members of other sororities would love to institute a race-blind selection process. However, often alumnae influence the rush process in a manner that makes this, unfortunately, impossible. There are often rumors of sororities planning on bucking the alumni to break the race barrier which have been escalating especially recently. It certainly wouldn’t hurt to rush.</p>

<p>As for that article, my son tells me that it led to some pretty terrible consequences for Gamma Phi Beta from fraternities. They currently have no African American sisters in the chapter.</p>