Sorority update?

<p>Supposedly, according to Bonner, there are still a few sororities that are moving slower than others in extending bids to minority students. Does anyone know which houses have extended bids and which have not?</p>

<p>I know the university said they would not release the names of the new pledges, and I’m cool with that. I would like to know, however, which sororities are doing the right thing and which are not. (We know of only two so far.)</p>

<p>The more pertinent question seems to me to be:</p>

<p>What is the level of interest among qualified AA candidates and are they amenable to be available for consideration?</p>

<p>Without this, the remaining sororities are stymied, are they not?</p>

<p>It may take some time to “recruit” candidates that have not self-identified…</p>

<p>The assumption that any sorority which has not yet successfully bid an AA candidate is simply not trying is faulty. They may have simply been out-bid.</p>

<p>Are there minority rushees out there that don’t have bids?</p>

<p>Either way, just because a rushee (of any color) doesn’t have a bid doesn’t mean that it’s any one particular House’s fault. Not every young lady is a fit for every House (and I’m not talking about color). And, not every rushee ends up with bids.</p>

<p>Before exposing the names of Houses that haven’t extended bids to minority young ladies, the facts should be known. If all or mostly all of the minority rushees have committed to Houses, there may not be enough girls who still want bids. </p>

<p>Do we know if the Houses who were already at Quota for this semester were allowed to extend more bids? </p>

<p>However, if there are stil Alums out there interfering, that needs to be found out.</p>

<p>I don’t think the sororities are not trying. </p>

<p>I think the Emily Jamisons of the world don’t want them to try.</p>

<p>Has anyone been able to find a pic of this Emily Jamison? I don’t like to single people out, but what an embarassment she caused UA if the allegations are true. She claims the allegations were false, but several sorority sisters insisted they were true.</p>

<p>Now that the actives are very aware of their power and rights, I anticipate they will be very willing to exert their preferences.</p>

<p>Mom2 -
The house quota was raised for the COB process, so all sororities have a chance to participate. The COB process is open to all interested women, not just minorities.</p>

<p>I do not know how many have extended bids, but I do know that two African American women have accepted bids, each to a different house. There might be more - those are just the ones I have heard about. Progress is definitely being made!</p>

<p>Why hasn’t Bonner sacrificed Jamison yet? Many people are waiting.</p>

<p>it is also possible that some girls who did go through recruitment and got dropped have already found their place at UA without a sorority in the picture, and are happy with the way things are.</p>

<p>i thought there were more than 2 sororities that offered bids to AA girls. </p>

<p>some groups still have things in the works, i am sure.</p>

<p>I am certain that more than 2 have offered bids, those are just the ones that I personally know have been accepted.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>They are probably afraid of being sued. Is there an attorney in the house?</p>

<p>Because Membership Selection is Private Information within each sorority, how can any of us know if any rules or laws were broken???</p>

<p>Just because something is distasteful or wrong, does not make it a punishable offense.</p>

<p>I don’t know what the situation warrants, but I have faith Dr. Bonner is well aware of the issues and will act in the best manner possible.</p>

<p>Congratulations to the sororities with more new members. I’m sure these new members will make great sorority sisters.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I’m not an attorney, but UA’s staff attorneys could likely find a legal way to let a certain employee go in less than an hour, especially if said employee was already violating campus rules or possibly the honor code. Alabama is an at will employment state.</p>

<p>I wouldn’t be surprised if some sororities would choose not to pledge minority members for the next couple of years until they find a PNM whom they feel would be a great fit for their organization. I don’t think it’s going to be like how certain fraternities at UA only pledge students from certain areas of the country.</p>

<p>I do wonder if we’re going to see more integrated fraternities, both Old Row and New Row, next year or maybe even this spring.</p>

<p>They can only give out bids to people that have submitted they are interested. If there are only x number of girls that may be minorities but y number of sororities then it is impossible to make x=y when in reality x<y.</p>

<p>Wait…no one told me there was going to be algebra!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>She was volunteering on her own time. As distasteful as her alleged behavior was, I don’t think they have grounds to fire her unfortunately.</p>

<p>No worries bigdaddy. That is as far as my algebra thinking can go. ;)</p>

<p>As an employer, it is not that easy to fire someone just because of something they may do on their own time “off the clock”, especially if it is not technically “illegal”. Unless UA has a pre employment contract that each employee signed that if they were found to be not upholding some kind of “model citizen behavior” of some such that it was grounds for termination. Can not imagine they have such. They may have an employment contract that spells out if an employee was arrested and/or convicted of a crime it was grounds for termination.</p>

<p>What they can do, and this is what most employers do in order to lower their risk of possible wrongful termination lawsuits is make the work environment so uncomfortable that the bad apple leaves of their own free will. That usually does not happen overnight. That can take weeks and or months. But you have to toe the line to make sure as the employer you do not cross a line that makes you liable for any kind of lawsuit.</p>

<p>While it is an “at will” state, you still have certain conditions that apply that keep you from just firing an employee “just because”. If they can come back and prove you fired them for their off the clock activities… not so good for the employer.</p>

<p>Yes, I suspect that they will make things unpleasant for her.</p>

<p>My DD’s roommate was offered a couple of bids from several different houses as part of COB. The funny thing is she had already received a bid from formal recruitment and is currently a pledge at another house!</p>

<p>Apparently COB bids went out without checking with Panhellenic first to even see if she was eligible.</p>

<p>At any rate, I suppose it’s the thought that counts :slight_smile: So it appears that bids are going out to some minorities (roommate is Asian).</p>

<p>I also talked to DD earlier today and her house is delivering COB bids tonight. Don’t know if they are to minorities or not.</p>