Sorority racism

<p>“It would seem that this thread has answered her question.” Yes.</p>

<p>The consensus appears to be that a woman of color whose college criteria includes the possibility of joining a traditionally white social sorority would indeed find Alabama lacking. Just as any student narrows his/her choices with pros and cons of all kinds, I would advise someone with such a goal to look to schools where it would not make the news if she received a bid. And yes, I belonged to a sorority in the south 25 years ago that did have some, though not representative, diversity. The question isn’t whether an entire population cannot afford it (wow) or is likely to follow family traditions (of course) but whether a single girl who wants to join, can at Alabama. Until this answer is proven true by at least a few students of color, it is still a relevant thread on CC as much as any of the myriad of questions that are repeated so often.</p>

<p>Back to the OP … </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>OP I’d suggest you write the Panhellenic council at each school you are considering and ask them to provide data for the last 10 years or so of the racial make-up of the greek system. Then rather than a bunch of posters on the internet arguing if the difference in diversity is large or immaterial you can make up your mind with data. </p>

<p>PS - alternatively guide books with pictures of all the sororities and frats can provide a look at the current situation.</p>

<p>My DD attended a Title 1 school, not just diverse racially but socio-economically. She attended the public magnet schools since kindergarten that were more diverse than the United Nations. Our budgets for every activity have to stay in line and very low in order to help kids be able to participate. Our high school band fees for the year are the lowest in the entire region, on purpose. DD’s friends ranged the gamut. Her background has helped her in many situations outside of school. </p>

<p>She did want to join a sorority and has enjoyed it very much. Several of her new friends are non white and also had succesfull journeys thru rush at UA. Just because one desires to join a sorority does not mean they are racist or do not desire to be exposed to a diverse group. The exact opposite is true for my D. She is being exposed to a group totally different than what she has grown up with.</p>

<p>I didn’t say the entire population couldn’t afford it. I offered it as another explanation why LESS African Americans are in greek organizations. Less African Americans attend college. Even less had parents that attended college. College is expensive. African Americans have an average household income lower than caucasians as a population. Sororities are expensive to most people (I don’t know if you think $32,000 is expensive or not, it is expensive to me). Many people that join greek organizations join ones that their parents were in. Do you see how this all adds up to be one valid reason that less African Americans are in greek organizations across the country, especially prestigious and expensive ones(like wow, a rational train of thought)? I guess I have a hard time explaining things in writing because I think people will read in between the lines more. She would find it lacking at most schools, not just Alabama. So in my mind, I hope she doesn’t turn down Alabama to go to a school she doesn’t like as much or one that offers lower financial aid because of the sorority dilemma, only to find it is the same at that school as well.</p>

<p>Btw, their are professional fraternities at UA that are very diverse that the OP could join. They are cheaper and open to males and females. Also, a great alternative to going Greek is joining the Mallet Assembly. Mallet Assembly is a completely self governing dormitory and intellectual living program and community. <a href=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallet_Assembly[/url]”>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallet_Assembly&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>woman of color</p>

<p>Well, that is kind of misleading. That suggests that Asian students and Hispanic students would not pledge the white houses, yet they do. </p>

<p>Although I could be wrong, it sounds like the OP may be Hispanic and white. If so, then it sounds like she’s worried that she won’t have a successful Rush. She very likely will. There are certainly Hispanic students in the so-called White Houses. My neighbor’s D is half Hispanic, half Asian, and she’s in a popular “white” house. Another neighbor’s D is half Hispanic, half White, and she’s in a popular “white” house.</p>

<p>I think people are thinking that there are a bunch of AA young ladies that go thru so-called “white” rush and don’t get accepted. Instead, the AA young ladies rush the Pan-Hellenic (black) Houses because they want to…and more likely, their parents expect them to. </p>

<p>It may be hard for those who live outside the region to understand how strong the middle-class and upper-class AA community is here. Maybe in your own regions, there isn’t a strong AA middle, upper-class community. I realize that the concept may be foreign to some in areas of the country. In the south, there are many, many, many Black professionals and business owners. My family doctor, my kids’ dermatologist & orthodontist, and one of my vets, are all AA. </p>

<p>My own neighborhood, a very upscale subdivision where the smallest home is 4,000 square feet, is 30% African American. those families’ children pledge Black Houses…and their parents expect them to.</p>

<p>Another post was correct by saying that just because someone belongs to a “black house” or a so-called “white house” does not mean that they don’t have friends elsewhere.</p>

<p>“Maybe in your own regions, there isn’t a strong AA middle, upper-class community. I realize that the concept may be foreign to some in areas of the country. In the south, there are many, many, many Black professionals and business owners. My family doctor, my kids’ dermatologist & orthodontist, and one of my vets, are all AA.” </p>

<p>This may explain why dixiedelight thinks a major barrier must be economic moreso than the general population. I can assure you such communities exist in the midwest, (where we currently live), the mid-atlantic (where we used to live) and the north (where I grew up). In my experience, it has been individuals who grew up in very integrated or largely white schools and neighborhoods who felt the most comfortable rushing and pledging tradionally white sororities and fraternities. Since some seem convinced that all Alabama AAs prefer black fraternities and sororities, perhaps we can allow that with over 50% OOS students, surely some African Americans (or bi-racial students like the OP) are looking at Alabama’s generous scholarships and wishing they had the opportunity to join in the broader Greek life as well. Or that they are choosing to go elsewhere based on a desire to do so. I have no doubt that self-selection plays a role here, as it may for the OP as she sorts out her choices.</p>

<p>I think as more out-of-region AA’s come to Bama, that may happen. I’ve never seen the data, but I would venture that most of the AA’s at Bama are from the state or region. </p>

<p>but again, this conversation regarding whether AA’s prefer to pledge Black Houses may not apply at all to the OP, if she’s Asian, Hispanic, American Indian or whatever. It sounds like she thought that “women of color” never join the so-called white houses, but they do. </p>

<p>Mom2Twins…you may know some communities as I’ve described, but I doubt that those areas have nearly as many as the South does. With a 30% AA population here, we’re going to have many, many more. And, married AA’s have the highest incomes in the South…and their money goes futher here because the COL is loweer.</p>

<p>M2CK-- I don’t think anything I’ve said questioned the socio-economic status of AAs in Alabama. Quite the opposite. I think you have me confused with someone else.</p>

<p>An earlier poster mentioned that his/her son was in one of the “better” fraternities. I’m curious about what qualities make one fraternity better than another. Is old row better than new row? Is a higher house GPA a factor? Size?</p>

<p>“Better” is strictly a matter of opinion, because some might value some facet more than others…GPA, size, Old Row, etc.</p>

<p>I had another thought in regards to this topic. Alabama has 8 HBCU’s. Does the fact that, year after year, many AA students want to attend those schools mean something bad? No.</p>

<p>HBCUs welcome students of other races as well.</p>

<p>“Many people that join greek organizations join ones that their parents were in. Do you see how this all adds up to be one valid reason that less African Americans are in greek organizations across the country, especially prestigious and expensive ones”</p>

<p>I will have to agree with you on the expensive part; there is no way I could have come up with $32K in college ( but I joined Alpha Kappa Alpha at Howard in '78), and no way I’d support my kids spending that to join some “prestigious” sorority or fraternity. My son tried, but we dodged that bullet because he did not get a bid. </p>

<p>With regard to “prestige” though, it has been my experience that most predominantly white frats and sororities have the majority of their “prestige” during their four years of college, while most traditionally African American ones have most of their “prestige” later on. Can anybody shed some light on that?</p>

<p>Shrinkrap- The NPHC groups do a much better job of ensuring their members understand that it is a life long commitment. They do not recruit in the same way and they are not primarily social organizations. They do not join because of the members on that campus, but because of the national organizations themselves- their values, traditions, and service to the AA community. Many of their members join after graduation, which is very rare in NPC/IFC groups. </p>

<p>I have never seen sorority dues that were as high as $32K over four years unless someone is including room and board. You pay more than that just for room & board in most dorms in the country and fraternity/sorority housing is usually cheaper than dorms. Most sorority dues are less than $100/month and some are significantly less than that. I pay less for my D’s sorority dues than I paid for her marching band fees in high school per year. </p>

<p>I can say that if you look at composites of fraternities and sororities at schools like Eastern Michigan University or Wayne State University, you see a more diverse makeup. I can’t pretend to know the reason, except that the student population as a whole is likely more diverse.</p>

<p>Sorority dues at BAMA are considerably more than one hundred dollars a month.</p>

<p>"With regard to “prestige” though, it has been my experience that most predominantly white frats and sororities have the majority of their “prestige” during their four years of college, while most traditionally African American ones have most of their “prestige” later on. Can anybody shed some light on that? "</p>

<p>That’s a good point. We are fraternity brothers for life and a lot of us stay somewhat in touch, but, you are right, we pretty much leave it at college. I have always wondered why AA men & women wear their Frat/Sorority gear, car tags, etc long after the college years. Now I understand.</p>

<p>As far as price, for example, my son’s house bill is $3500 per semester and he does not live in the house. That would be another $3500. However, they are building a new house and I expect the house bills to be around $4500 next year.</p>

<p>Some of my high school classmates, all girls school, joined the AA sororities. They still go to the national meetings, even though they are in their fifties. And there are countless cars with the AA sorority/fraternity license plates and plate holders driving around our city, NOLA. Some of them have daughters who are starting college this year, and they are so excited to have their daughters join their sisterhood.</p>

<p>I am as active now as I was In college.</p>

<p>So was my dad.</p>

<p>Hey Crimsondude, my dad was born in Huntsville in 1913!</p>

<p>Thank you all for the wonderful replies. For those asking, I am of Greek and Arab descent, although most people mistake me for half Hispanic half white.
The NM full ride and honors college are what initially attracted me to UA so I will weigh that more when making a final decision. It would be nice to be a part of Greek life at UA, so I am hoping to get a bid and really want to fit in and have the college experience before going to med school. Once again, thanks all for the insight.</p>

<p>Half Greek, half Arab? I don’t think that you’re bi-racial. I think you may be one race - White. You may have ethnic coloring, but that alone doesn’t make someone another race. </p>

<p>That said, you’ll likely do very well going thru Rush. It’s unfortunate that your ethnicities weren’t revealed at the beginning, because the thread became one discussing Black House, which doesn’t apply to you at all. </p>

<p>And there are countless cars with the AA sorority/fraternity license plates and plate holders driving around our city, NOLA. Some of them have daughters who are starting college this year, and they are so excited to have their daughters join their sisterhood.</p>

<p>there are countless cars in the south with AA Greek lettering on them driven by people well beyond their college years. These folks have great pride in their AA Houses and they don’t want them undermined. I respect that.</p>

<p>HBCUs welcome students of other races as well.</p>

<p>True, but that’s not the point. Self-selection continues to drive the numbers. These schools are over-whelmingly AA, and many AA students (and their families) want to attend them. They’re not trying to be exclusive or “only be with their own race”. They see a benefit and that’s fine.</p>