Sorority Rush

So I’m planning on going through sorority recruitment next fall at U of A, but I was wondering if they judge your GPA on all 4 years of High school (including first and second semester of senior year) or the one you had when you applied to U of A? Do many sororities rule people out based on a low GPA?

There’s an academic listing in the menu on the left. Good luck!

http://greek.arizona.edu/prospective/recruitment

From the website:

There is no required GPA to participate in recruitment. It is highly recommended women have a 3.0 unweighted or higher from high school or a 2.75 or higher if they have been a full time college student. In Fall 2013, the average unweighted HS GPA for women joining was a 3.43. Women with below the recommended GPA will likely not be invited back by chapters.

and…

As a participant in recruitment, you will have your cumulative GPA verified through the University of Arizona enrollment system. The GPA listed on the recruitment registration information may be changed if there is discrepancy between your official transcript and your application.

Realistically, the top houses are going to have a higher standard than 3.0 . Unless a PNM is an important legacy, they don’t need or want to risk having academic problems with a freshman who comes in with low grades from high school. Top houses can be more picky. Some houses value grades more than others and will also avoid weaker students even if they aren’t as selective socially. Take a look at the grades documents on the website and you’ll get an idea which houses want good grades.

As a mom, I’m wondering what’s going on with you. Did you get bad grades senior year? Unless you can pinpoint the reasons for that, you might want to carefully consider whether going Greek is the best idea for you Freshman year–regardless of whether they will take you. Most, if not all houses give great academic support for Freshmen, so you could get more help than if you were independent. But there are A LOT of obligations your first year in a house, so the support is usually necessary for all new members.