Spring 2024 Admission Offer at GW (starting mid-year as a freshman)

Hello, Has anyone else on this forum received an offer for Spring 2024 admission at GW as a freshman? I am wondering what ideas people might have for the first semester before starting mid-year at GW and how to earn credits to transfer other than going to a community college as suggested by GW. If anyone started as a Spring 2023 admit, I would love to hear how it went when they started mid-year from a social and academic standpoint. Thanks so much!

I received the same offer! I am trying to find more info on what starting in the spring at GW would look like but I can’t find much. Have you been able to find any information anywhere? I would also love to hear from a previous spring admit!

Do you want to go so badly that you’re willing to come in after others all know one another and establish friendships ?

You don’t have a full four year option ?

You could go to school or get a job or volunteer.

But I imagine you have other options that might be more suitable vs being treated at a second rate level.

Hi, I think we are looking for more productive responses from those who actually have the same Spring 2024 offer or perhaps those who accepted the Spring 2023 offer and already started. In other words, people who would actually have firsthand knowledge. I don’t agree that it is “second rate” as I was told it was better than being waitlisted as it is a for sure acceptance. I heard that we could take classes to transfer or study abroad for the first semester. Seems like a good opportunity if I want to go to the Elliott School and it is still a four year option with transfer credits. Establishing friendships can be done at any stage
even transfer students establish friendships. Anyhow, if someone was admitted in the Spring 2023 or 2024, I would love to hear from them. Thank you.

1 Like

They are fair questions to make you think?

Of course it’s better than a WL - as a wait list is a rejection.

But they are using you to fill in spots for early grads and this is a concern, establishing friendships, etc.and this is why I brought it up.

So that you think about it.

The choice is yours and I hope you do hear from someone who has done it.

I’m sure if you ask admissions they can connect you with a student ambassador who has been through the same scenario - and you can then get firsthand knowledge.

PS - when someone who is trying to get your money tells you something, you have to learn to understand what is “salesmanship” and what is honestly.

GW is a fine school and you would earn a degree - but again, I asked the questions I did because they are a real issue at programs that operate in this fashion - whether a Miami, BU, GW, or others. It doesn’t mean it won’t work for you - but it is something to think about.

Best of luck in your decision.

Many, many schools offer spring admissions and those students are not treated any differently than those who start in the fall (other than timing). They are not treated as second rate except by the ignorant few (who most wouldn’t want to be friends with anyway). If you are productive and kind with your comments, you are more likely to be heard. By the time, second year starts, students will not know or care about anyone who was a spring start and who wasn’t.

I know many “spring start” students who are very happy; on every level. Most if not all have no problems making friends (there are many other spring start students to make friends with - to start with). Every school I know of goes out of their way to welcome spring start students with special events, etc.

To the original poster: if this is your dream school and it fits all of your other requirements, I say go for it. Start by finding out how many other students will be spring start and if there will be a way to connect with others in that group. You will be worried when you don’t start school at the same times as others in the fall but the time will go quickly. Use the time to not be in school if that’s an option. Get a job, volunteer, travel, etc.
Good luck to you

1 Like

I respectfully disagree about it being a dear seat filler. Goodnight

CC is not a debate society. Move the conversation forward please and do not engage in back and forth.

tsbna44, Your last words in your original response say “second rate level.” But, as I stated, I was specifically hoping to hear responses from those with productive firsthand experience as a spring admit (or someone who actually knows a spring admit) rather than looking for suggested additional questions or concerns that I have already thought of on my own. If anyone has been a spring admit or knows a spring admit, I would love to hear ideas of what they did first semester (I did see one spring admit studied abroad first year) or what they plan to do first semester, as well as integrating when matriculating in the spring. Of course, anyone can post, however, negative commentary putting the offer down from those without firsthand experience as a spring admit seems neither productive nor helpful to me
and also doesn’t really answer the original question. I’m looking at this as really positive and hoping for some quality advice. Thanks in advance.

4 Likes

Well said!

1 Like

Spring admits let colleges level-load the big intake in the autumn by moving some of it into the spring semester, which is when most study-away/study-abroad students are gone (at GW more than a third of students study abroad, one of the highest rates among colleges). This is especially helpful for dorms, which are in short supply at GWU.

OP, you will have a cohort of other new students, so you won’t be on your own. There are also a couple of other factors that make starting in the spring less of a difference at GWU than for some colleges, notably the urban campus and the high level of in-term internships. Both of those things mean that more people are in more places during the school day, so ‘new’ students stand out less.

Settling in and finding your people will still mean taking some initiative- setting up study groups with people in your class (especially classes related to your major), and joining an EC are tried and tested ways!

ps, my PSA for all students starting college: 1) first week make sure you find the writing center, the math center, your profs and TAs offices (+schedules), and 2) read the syllabus for every class all the way through, note the big deadlines and work ahead!!! (do the reading before the class, etc). College goes fast- ask for help before you need it

1 Like

And I noted to contact and to ask to speak to an ambassador has been through this. That’s your most likely way to find someone.

1 Like

Hello My daughter was accepted for the spring
as well. She has the same questions and concerns as well. Would love for you guys to connect l! Is there a good way to make that happen?

Hi, I sent a private message. Thanks!

what do most kids do for the fall?