Spring Transfer Questions

Hello! I’m applying to transfer to GW this Spring but I just had a few questions for anyone who went through the process/knows more about the process. GW’s website says you’ll get your decision letter early to mid December but that leaves just one month until you move in- are classes going to be all filled up if you want to register that late or is that usually not an issue for Spring transfers? Another thing i’m concerned about (actually my biggest concern) is housing, with one month’s notice is it difficult for Spring transfers to get housing on campus? Anyone who has transferred to GW in the Spring, was the transition easy or was it difficult to transfer to the school in the middle of the year and find friends and meet people and such?

Sorry for all these questions! They’re just some of my concerns that i’m a little bit stressed about.

Well, it’s hard to say which classes will fill-up, but it’s safe to say that everyone else will have already registered by the time you get a chance to. This is a pain, but depending on what type of classes you still need, you might be ok. What year will you be as a transfer? If you’re working towards classes in a major already then there’s a greater chance of there being openings, at least for upper-level classes.

As far as housing, that also depends. GW is supposed to have space for all first through third year students, so you should, in theory, be given a room somewhere.

I know none of this is very reassuring, but that’s just how it goes as a transfer. People transfer in all the time, so obviously it’s manageble. It’ll probably involve a headache or two the first semester, though.

Good luck!

You definitely should register as soon as possible. One caveat about attending George Washington University, in general, is that class fill up very quickly. You have to remember you’re at a somewhat top-tier private university so students are gunning to get the top professors and get seats in the most convenient time slots. In terms of housing, I can’t really speak to whether it’s difficult or not to get housing. I got a housing exemption, but in most cases transfer students are required to live on campus dorms. In terms of whether the overall transition was difficult or not, I would say that it was not too bad. You really have to be proactive about getting your transfer credits in, honestly, because the advisors don’t really know what they’re doing. It’s not hard at all to make friends or network, though. There’s always fraternity rushing in the Spring and if that’s not your cup of tea there’s always lots of bars and clubs as well as the opportunity to just meet people in your courses. And while Georgetown and American students may not interact with GW students a whole lot, you’re definitely not restricted to making friends just with students at GW. For example, I’ve met students from Brown and Upenn through courses I took at Georgetown over the summer. Also, I’ve gotten to know quite a few students from Howard during my internship this summer. I personally believe in having a diverse set of friends and network but that’s just me.

Hi totally stalking, how easy was it to take classes over summer at Georgetown?