Spring semester housing and credit transfer at NYU

Hi!

I am a spring transfer applicant for this year to NYU CAS. I am transferring out of a small liberal arts school and hoping to make the move to NYU. I was given a week to decide if I will accept the offer or decline it, and I am unsure what to do. I am from New York and I’d love to move back for school, but I am concerned about how many of my credits will transfer, if I would get housing as a transfer, and what kind of disadvantage i would be at as course registration has already concluded at NYU. Since I am a sophomore transfer, I would only have five semesters at NYU if I decided to transfer. At my current school, tuition is more expensive and I do not think I’d be able to attend NYU if a majority of my credits do not transfer over. I was given the range of 21-27 credits potentially of 32, is there any way I can get a more solid estimate? Moreover, for anyone whose gone through this before, what would course selection look like for me? I am on a pretty tight timeline for my major right now, taking 3 classes a semester that are related and I must stick to this schedule to complete it where I am now, and it would be similar at NYU. My concern is that as i would register so late, I may not get enough classes towards my major and thus would be set back further. Finally, I was wondering about the housing process for spring transfer applicants. From my understanding, housing is not guaranteed for spring transfers and this would pose a big problem if I wasn’t able to get housing near school as commute times from other areas of the city and the westchester area would be excessive. I am really lost on what I should do as I only have 3 remaining days to make this choice with limited information on these various issues. I plan on calling the office of admissions tomorrow and asking for an extension as I am super interested and really want to take this opportunity if the logistics work out. Any advice here would be massively appreciated!

1 Like

It makes me crazy when schools won’t give credit transfer info upon acceptance (or shortly thereafter). You should count on not receiving full credits, but every case and school is unique.

You might try calling to speak with transfer admissions.

Even if they give you full credit (which again is unlikely), you still might not be able to graduate in 5 semesters. Have you laid out a detailed 5 semester plan of classes at NYU? Make sure to pay attention to geneds, class prereqs, and how often/which semester classes are offered.

You could deposit and then push them hard to make credit transfer decisions (the student usually has to do the follow-up work), and then pull out if they don’t give you enough for you to be comfortable moving forward. Of course you would lose your deposit in that case.

It is ok to deposit, which evidently starts the credit eval process and NYU, and also keep your transfer apps in at other schools (assuming you applied elsewhere) while NYU figures it out.

Good luck.

2 Likes

To the best of my knowledge, you wouldn’t get housing as a Sophomore Spring transfer.
Have you applied to transfer anywhere else (Fordham, Barnard, SUNY, CUNY, or another college not in NYC?)
I second the idea you keep your transfer apps + deposit at NYU if you can afford to lose the deposit but only confirm once you know how many credits transfer (assume you’ll lose 1 semester - OTOH NYU may give you more AP/IB credit than your current college).
If you can’t afford to lose the deposit, don’t fall foe the ‘urgent sale’ tactic, let them know you need to know the housing and credit situation before you decide.

1 Like