Starting to feel effect of budget cuts

<p>I'm a student at SUNY Geneseo and until now,I always thought that I would never ACTUALLY feel the effects of this budget cut.</p>

<p>This past week we registered for classes. Being a freshman, you're options will always be limited but I was fortunate to carry enough AP credits that gave me the privilege of registering a day earlier than most freshman.</p>

<p>All of my classes except for calculus are in a large lecture setting, so I was able to register for those with ease.</p>

<p>However, calculus is traditionally a more intimate classroom experience so I was shocked to see that the number of seats per class increased from 20 to 30 for the upcoming semester. In total, there were about 22 total seats open for the entire calc 2 course after I registered. Keep in mind that the majority of freshmen had yet to register by this point. </p>

<p>The next day, I heard several of my friends complaining about there being zero classes to take among other things and that calculus 2 is full (not one course, the entire subject). A few hours later, I heard that the dean ordered each calc 2 class size to increase to 35 seats. This opened up 5 seats per class. There is a rumor that this will ultimately be raised to 40. Unreal.</p>

<p>I also heard a professor saying that they are going to start severely limiting the amount of credit hours one is able to take. This makes it impossible for one to dual major or minor in something.</p>

<p>And finally, the most terrible thing.
I overheard my chem lab professor say that Geneseo is going to start cutting upper-level courses. How does this effect me and others? If Geneseo cuts upper-level courses, how does this look to grad schools? Two students competing for one spot at a grad school...one, a geneseo student and one a university of rochester student. Both are identical stat wise. Both are identical extra-curricular wise. What sets them apart? The U of R student got to take that upper level course, while the Geneseo student couldn't.</p>

<p>This is real...call your reps today.</p>

<p>Yeah something definitely needs to be done. I hopeit doesn’t get to the point where we lose upper level courses.</p>