Stereotyping the UC's

<p>Seriously, whenever I gain enough courage to venture onto the “What are my chances?” forum, why is it that people automatically assume that if you’re a Californian resident and have decent grades (at LEAST a 3.5), that you are automatically shoo-in at Cal and UCLA ? </p>

<p>I don’t think many out-of-staters realize that it’s still substantially difficult to get accepted into either of those schools, in-state or not … I know handfuls of friends and high school graduates who had seemingly-perfect stats, and got rejected from UCLA … </p>

<p>Am I think only one that recognizes this stereotypical trend here? Then again, the “Chances” forum is pretty much flawed and flooded with egotistical students anyway…</p>

<p>Uhh, I may not be seeing the same stuff you have, but if you a 3.5 you're NOT an "auto shoo-in" at Cal or UCLA. In ALL of my chance threads I made last year, I was always given a reach/slight reach chance for UCLA/Berkeley, and my GPA was higher than a 3.5....and I am a Californian resident.</p>

<p>I think if you get a 3.9 GPA, you might be a shoe in at UCR/UCM. As to getting in the others, you better have something extra.</p>

<p>robbins:</p>

<p>it's bcos out-of-staters assume that the UC is just like their instate Uni. The Arizona schools, for example, accept kids with a C+ average. At ASU, the admissions rate is 95%. For the most part, it's only the residents of Virginia and North Carolina who understand how competitive the state flagship can be.</p>

<p>If only it was that easy. :(</p>

<p>Anyways, I don't really concern myself with what out-of-staters think. :P</p>

<p>CA secession '08! \m/ w00t w00t!</p>