Still a Chance at Cal Poly?

I’ve posted his stats on other threads but in summary:

GPA: UW 3.7 W 4.45 Cal Poly WC 3.92
SAT 1430 (1460 superscore)
EC: X-Country 4 years, Lacrosse 3 years Track 1 year, 2 summers as leader in training for City of La Mesa (15 hours per week).
Work: 25 Hours per week as Recreational Aid, City of La Mesa (June-current)
MCA: 4525 is my calculation

He applied as Biochemistry in the College of Math and Science and provided an alternate of Nutrition which is in the College of Agriculture.

@Gumbymom do you happen to know what the typical MCA scores were for admits in Biochemistry? Will they look at his alternate major? What are typical MCA scores for Nutrition.

It’s his number one choice and we are hoping he has a good chance but without SAT might be a reach. His Course rigor is top 3-5% of his class.

Since test scores are not a consideration in the Cal state application review this admission cycle, the MCA point scores posted for these majors would not be accurate. SLO never posts the average MCA score by major. All MCA data is self reported by applicants on each year’s CC discussion threads.

Target projection admit rates for Biochem 2020 based on a 33% yield was 16%. GPA admit range for the College of Math and Science was 4.04 – 4.27.

For Nutrition, admit rate was 68% and admit GPA for the College of Agriculture was 3.83 – 4.21.

SLO rarely considers alternate majors but possible. Biochem would be a slight Reach but Nutrition would be a Match.

@Gumbymom I take it they don’t release GPA information by major? The reason I ask is that there are other tough admit majors in the same college that may pull that average up…but maybe not. Looks like he has a shot.

No they do not release GPA by major either and I agree that competitive majors will increase the average admit GPA range. Even the projected target admits is not accurate since they do list the %yield for each major.

Meant to say they “Do Not” post their % yield for each major. My niece was waitlisted last year for Nutrition with a 4.0 SLO GPA but had average SAT/ACT scores and average HS course rigor. You just never know.