Still can't use emoji?

Yes, it does.

Can you check that you have zero extensions enabled in Private browser mode?

It still doesn’t work when I disable all extensions, whether in private mode or not.

But I wish to repeat, I changed absolutely nothing in my setup from the point where the emoji popup worked and the point where it stopped working. It was working fine with the extensions I currently have, until it abruptly stopped working. This leads me to wonder whether anything has changed on the CC side?

I understand that you don’t understand how it might be a local problem, but right now, you are the only user with this problem, and it affects only one browser on your system, so it’s quite difficult to diagnose.

You can try opening the developer console and see if you get any errors when the page loads or when you click or mouse-over the :+1: .

You might also try visiting http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/u/cc_jay/preferences/interface and changing your theme to “Light” and see if that changes anything.

Right now, I am the only user posting about this problem. There is an important difference.

But, as was the case when this was an issue previously, the issue persists whether I select the Discourse, Light, or DEV theme.

But the developer console gives absolutely no information—I mouse over the :+1: button, and there’s no reaction. So it appears that something on the page isn’t setting it up to get the reactions panel from CC.

That led me to look for warnings, and I found this one:

Loading failed for the with source “https://global.discourse-cdn.com/collegeconfidentialstaging/uploads/default/assets/plugins/discourse-adplugin-af80bbef5d525592706bee95e759290cc72d782647f25143033baa2d37082c84.br.js”.

I don’t know if that’s the resource that allows the panel, but it’s the only thing that comes up for collegeconfidential.com in the entire history (though it comes up multiple times).

1 Like

I agree. There could be thousands of users with the same problem. But I still can’t replicate the problem, so I can’t fix it.

Darn. That’s not it. I get the same error.

Did you try changing to the “Light” theme?

@CC_Jay the OP posted this…

1 Like

Well, that was in February, and things have changed since then.

Right now the problem is known to exist for one user on one browser, so I’m at a loss for an explanation or anything else to try.

Have you tried doing a hard reload? Oh, but private browser should be the same as that.

My only other guess is that it’s somehow a caching issue with cloudfront, but the only way to test that would be to use a VPN or a network in another part of the country.

Until someone else experiences the problem and anyone can explain the set of circumstances that makes it happen, my only recommendations are to use another browser or just use likes.

No, @thumper1 was right, I posted what they quoted just a couple posts upthread, in the same post where I said what was in the developer console.

The frustrating part is that the “set of circumstances” is, quite simply, existing—like I said, nothing changed on my end to revert it to the previous behavior.

1 Like

At some point there were others experiencing the same issue. But theirs seemed to resolve.

1 Like

Right, as mine did—but the resolution of the problem is no longer, for opaque reasons.

ACK! I am back in this situation again after it resolved for a few months! It literally happened today from one time looking at posts to the next. Now I can only thumbs up, not choose a surprised or sad face. I didn’t close the browser, log-out, reboot or anything. The computer went to sleep, and when I opened it up (with the CC window still open as before) everything but thumbs up was gone in the response column. :frowning:

dfbdfb, I feel your pain.

1 Like

And I hit “like” as a reaction to your post because I am still literally unable to react in any other way.

But yeah, @CC_Jay, back on 15 May you basically washed your hands of this “until someone else experiences this problem”. So here you are. (And you requested the circumstances that lead to it, but given what @sursumcorda reports, it’s certainly not a user-side issue.)

2 Likes