Student Life Questions

<p>I was wondering about things to do for students under 21 (I won't be 21 until halfway through senior year)? Like are the frats generally open to everyone?
Also I was wondering about the dorm life because I didn't really get to see much of them. Are the dining halls always insanely crowded too?
Comments of the female population would also be nice.</p>

<p>I can’t give the best answers, as I’m not a Purdue student, but I know enough people that go to Purdue that I can give a basic rundown.</p>

<p>As for frats, the guys that I know that pledged don’t become initiated into later on in the year. And they’re forced to clean up after parties aren’t really allowed to get crazy with the rest of the boys. I also think that frats are open to non-members to party for like their events and stuff. Like buy a ticket. When I was at Purdue in October, one of the frats was putting on a Rocky Horror event in the Union. And there are various clubs and stuff around campus to get involved in.</p>

<p>When my cousin was a senior in high school and visiting her sister down at Purdue, she just walked into Harry’s Chocolate Shop (which is really a bar) and said it was her birthday. And they gave her a t-shirt.</p>

<p>Dorm life really varies from hall to hall from the ones I’ve seen. Some are more prone to partiers. Some are more studious. The dining halls are crowded depending on what time you go to eat. Like for my visit, we had lunch around 11:00 at the Wiley Dining Court. It’s pretty newly renovated and has a nice layout. Food in a circle in the middle and seating on the perimeter. But when we left around an hour later, the line was out the door. I can’t speak for the other courts, but I know each one has their own kind fo specialty. One’s known for meats, another for international, one’s vegetarian, and I can’t remember what the other specialties are.</p>

<p>At Purdue, Greek Life is HUGE since it’s the 3rd largest in the nation and has around 20% of the student population. There are tons of parties going on, any day of the week. When you go to BGR, I HIGHLY recommend you going to Meet the Greeks. Meet the Greeks is when the fraternities all around campus “introduce” themselves to you new freshmen. You will know the rush schedule for the houses your interested in and all. Even if your not interested at that moment, you can get free food/entertainment during the weekdays(Rush). You will most likely be invited to the parties too. Since it’s the beginning of the semester, there will be TONS of parties going on during the first couple of weeks so yeah. Some parties are “list parties” so you need to know a brother or a friend of a brother to get your name on the list. Don’t think about inviting a friend if he/she doesn’t attend Purdue for list parties since they will want to see your Purdue ID card. They may even want a Purdue ID card during a regular party due to Excise. Some houses PROHIBIT people who are under 18 years old to enter unless they are a Purdue student (with an ID card) due to liability. Just make friends in your dorm since most of them might rush or know where the parties at due to friends or know brothers. Don’t be a hermit, if you choose to be one then I doubt you’d even get into a party since you’d know no one lol. </p>

<p>I beg to differ with youwiththeface’s statement about the dorms. Each dorm houses a variety of people from partiers, studiers, GDI’s, etc etc. One dorm does not tend to have the “partiers” while the other tends to have the “geeks”. Even though there are learning communities such as the Honors Engineering community @ Earhart, it doesn’t mean they are all geeks. A brother in my fraternity was part of this community and he parties while having a great social
life. </p>

<p>There are five dining courts at Purdue and they are Ford, Hillenbrand, Wiley, Windsor, and Earhart. Each dining court as youwiththeface said has a certain type of food they “specialize” in. Windsor is where the vegeterian food is located. Wiley is where the brazilian grilled meat is located. Ford is where the asian noodle soup is located. Earhart is where the make-your-own stir fry is located. Hillenbrand is where the make-your-own quesadillas are located. Each dining court also has regular food as well. Wiley has make-your-own pasta and double-swipe meals which are “more expensive” choices such as grilled shrimp and scallops or bacon-wrapped New York Strip. WIley and Earhart both have make-your-own pizzas as well. The food at Purdue is great but don’t stuff yourself cause you will get sick of the food earlier. If I were to rank the dining courts from best to worst it would be: Ford, Wiley, Earhart, Windsor, then Hillenbrand. Ford usually has the food I crave and has the most seats since they have a second floor. Wiley has the grilled meats, double-swipe meals which are a huge plus if you never eat breakfast, and the make-your-own pasta and pizza. The interior is very nice also since its the nearest dining court at Purdue. Earhart has the make-your-own stir fry which is amazing. However, depending on the student cook(s) it can be a bad or good experience. Windsor has good non-vegeterian options and it is always full with the ladies so it’s a plus plus :slight_smile: Hillenbrand is the worst dining court since the food ain’t that good compared to the other dining courts. They renovated their seating area and it looks really modern but the food still sucks. The make-your-own quesadillas are not too amazing but if you like quesadillas then your in heaven.</p>