Questions about Purdue

<p>Man I thought I was narrowing my choices of colleges down. Thing is, a challenger appears. I just learned I got accepted to Purdue University's College of Engineering. Yeah.</p>

<p>Thing is, I never thought I'd get accepted. It was listed as a "reach" school for me and I never thought I would get into such a prestigious university. I want to go, but I don't know a DAMN thing about this school! I'm never going to get a chance to visit because it's so far away!</p>

<p>To anyone attending or is going to attend, how is the overall atmosphere at Purdue? The diversity and student life? Housing? Student Body?</p>

<p>Congratulations on getting accepted, first of all. I know how you feel about it being your reach but you getting accepted. Well I will try to answer some of your questions but I’m sure others can put their thoughts as well. </p>

<p>Purdue has a VERY diverse study body and this has been going on for a long time. Even though it is located in the Midwest specifically the rural areas, it’s quite surprising. Don’t be surprised when you see a lot of Asians (Chinese, Korean, Indians and Pakistanis specifically). </p>

<p>The main thing about Purdue in terms of student life is that it’s dominated by Greek Life and Clubs/Organizations. There are tons of organizations out there and if there isn’t one that you looked for then you can always start one. Greek Life is huge at Purdue as well and it dominates the social aspect of the university imo. Since there are A LOT of houses on campus with different personalities, there are a lot of parties that you can choose to go to. If your worried that the Greeks on campus keep things to themselves as a society, don’t worry cause they really don’t. If your planning on rushing/pledging a fraternity then no need to worry about your social life on weekends and weekdays. Even if your not considering on rushing/pledging, you don’t have to worry. All you need are friends who are rushing/pledging or friends of current brothers. </p>

<p>In terms of athletics, a lot of people attend the sporting events from the Football games to Basketball games. There are some spectators for Softball, Baseball, Track, etc. but it isn’t the same amount of people you’d see at a Football game. In terms of participation, a lot of people participate in intramural sports as well. From 3v3 Indoor/Outdoor basketball, Flag Football, 5v5 Soccer, Indoor Soccer, Sand/Indoor Volleyball, Badminton, etc. Purdue is also renovating their “athletic center” known as the Co-Rec. It will be one of the best Recreation centers in the Big Ten since they will have the largest indoor, multipurpose, turf field, lazy pool with a slide, rock-climbing wall, etc. </p>

<p>Housing at Purdue is quite good in my opinion. There is a good selection of dorms to choose from and each dorm offers something for almost everyone. Females do have a crappy selection if they wanted a Suite since they can only apply for Hillenbrand(Upperclassmen only). However, everything else is pretty legit. In terms of dining halls, Purdue serves pretty good food. There are five dining halls to choose from and each dining hall is known for serving a specific type of food. If you don’t try to eat everything the first few weeks, then the food rotation is pretty good. However, if you try to eat everything the first few weeks then the food gets old and you will just want someplace off-campus. </p>

<p>Don’t be startled by it’s location in the middle of the cornfields. People say that Purdue is really boring and theres nothing to do in the area but if you PARTICIPATE in clubs/organizations, Greek Life, or social events that organizations host then you’d be fine. If you make friends that have cars, you can always go for a road trip to Chicago or Indy if you haven’t been there. Oh, you don’t really need a car to be honest if your living on-campus. Purdue has a great bus transportation system, Citybus. They pretty much go everywhere and some of the routes run till 2AM on weekends such as Nightrider.</p>

<p>Wow…the way you’re describing Purdue, it seems pretty solid! I’m still not sold on location though, but you can’t deny its prestige.</p>

<p>Anyways, I’m doing fairly well in the A-/B+ range in Calculus and I scored a 680 on the Math SAT. Do you think I can handle the courses offered there?</p>

<p>Yeah the location isn’t that great but the campus is nice. This is coming from a guy who was raised ten minute from NYC and prefers the Indiana over the Northeast… </p>

<p>You can’t predict your performance in a class from your SAT score… For example, I got a 620 on the Math section but took College Algebra my first/second semester I was there. I didn’t go to class, exams, etc. so I failed it the first time. Second time, I still didn’t go to my classes but went to my exams and got a C+. It depends on how dedicated you will be to your studies. If you go to class, study when you have to, and do your homework everyday then you’d most likely be fine. However, math during your second/third year gets really hard. I know a lot of people who are double majoring in Math while majoring in Engineering since you have to take an additional three classes I think?</p>

<p>wow skipping an exam, that takes balls</p>

<p>Yeah, it takes balls but when you were dumb and didn’t care about it then it’s another day at the park. Stupid mistakes I made… Learned a lesson at least.</p>