Students against animal experimentation?

<p>Are there any groups on campus for campaigning against animal experimentation? I see that Madison has a primate research lab, among other things, which I am strongly opposed to.</p>

<p>I’m sure they do. Please agree to forgo any cures that involved animal research if you or your loved ones get sick now or in the future. That’s only fair.</p>

<p>Thanks. I don’t have a problem with that personally.</p>

<p>You don’t have a problem using medical treatments that were developed using animals, but you’re against animal experimentation?</p>

<p>…You might not fit in that well with any animal rights organization on campus. I believe they generally don’t support or take advantage of what they are opposed to, though I’m only guessing.</p>

<p>Also please don’t be one of those people that practically assaults others who are just minding their own business while you’re campaigning. We have places to go, we don’t want to talk, and they just make everyone uncomfortable and highly annoyed.</p>

<p>How would a new medicine be known as effective and safe for use on humans? This is the only way I know: 1.Test it on an animal for general toxicology study. 2. Test it on humans (volunteers for further validating experiments) a.k.a. clinical trials. About 20 years ago, some of our fellow graduate students volunteered testing on certain drugs and supplement their stipend for supporting their families. Life is tough. At times, you got to do what you got to do.</p>

<p>I just wanted to add you are free to believe whatever you want. But prepare to have those beliefs challenged both in and out of classes. </p>

<p>[Organizational</a> Information](<a href=“Search Results for “orginfo.asp” – Center for Leadership & Involvement – UW–Madison”>Search Results for “orginfo.asp” – Center for Leadership & Involvement – UW–Madison)</p>

<p>And in all honesty depending on what field you are looking at you may have to do some research/experimentation (though probably nothing crazy or previously untested or known to kill anything) on animals (probably rats) at some point at UW. Can you pass it up, citing that you’re against it? Yes, but you are bowing out of an opportunity that someone else will gladly snap up.</p>

<p>Why stop at not harming an animal? Plants are living being too. Why be a vegan? Just eat thoughts and ideas… :)</p>

<p>I meant I don’t have a problem refusing medical treatment. I was just asking if there were any groups anyway. I didn’t ask for countering opinions. There are many alternatives besides testing on animals though. Also, a lot of medicines have completely different effects on animals than on humans. As for not eating plants, very funny.</p>

<p>As I recall, last year or two years ago(?), there was a group of people in Madison somehow managed to infiltrate into the University biolab and released a bunch of lab rats from the lab. I am not sure where this group came from within Madison or from outside. May be others have better information.</p>

<p>Well, you brought up the lab animals thing so you might expect some opinions on a highly controversial subject and at a university that does among the most research in the world. Get used to it. To some it might be like asking, does UW have an anti-gay club or a pro radical Muslim club. One thing you will get at Madison is lots of opinions. There has been a recent history of bitter fights over the Primate Center for one. The animal people tried to buy some land the UW wanted for expanding the facility and it ended up in court. UW won but it was very contentious. So you will be walking into a hot topic on both sides.</p>

<p>Disliking people because of their sexual orientation or being part of a radical religious group is a bit different than caring about the welfare of innocent animals though. Thanks for the information though.</p>

<p>True, I can strongly dislike radical animal rights people’s position while I support gay rights.</p>

<p>Well that’s good for you for being such a caring, unselfish person.</p>

<p>@lily43</p>

<p>Protesting and advocating for the removal of something that can potentially save human lives is indeed something that many view with distaste and view as radical, especially when it enters the realm of harassment of researchers. Equating it as different and as merely involving “innocent animals” is a pretty one sided view and won’t win you any points with people who could care less about animals in the face of being able to cure diseases or save lives.</p>

<p>Agree with barrons. Madison campus is quite large and diverse. it has all kinds of people with all sorts of believes from all corners of the world. It is good to be yourself. However, I wouldn’t try to mold everyone else into a standard shape or form. The world with single color, shape and size can be very boring place for everyone. Learn from others, no matter what their believes are and where they are from. The world would be a better place with moderate amount of tolerance. Good luck on your college career, Lily43. Sometimes, you sound like my S1, who will also be a Badger this fall. He is also a gentle soul, wouldn’t want to hurt a fly. I would not be surprised to see that you and him standing side-by-side, in the cold Madison winter, chanting slogans in an effort to protect the weak, the helpless and the dissadvantaged beings in the world.</p>

<p>I’m sorry, I thought this was a discussion board intended to provide information regarding UW-Madison to prospective UW students. The OPs question was quite clear and simple…“Are there any groups on campus for campaigning against animal experimentation?” Why is it necessary to include a snide, opinionated jab in addition to answering the question? If the question had been, “Are there groups on campus for people who enjoy mountain climbing?” would it have been necessary to say “I’m sure there are. However, the volume of trash being left behind on Mt. Everest, the exponential increase in expedition numbers, not to mention the negative impact these expeditions have on the people of Nepal is sickening.”?</p>

<p>Stay focused people…</p>

<p>Alliance for Animals and Animals Rights Society both focus on animals being used for experiments. I think their current goal is getting an attorney to prosecute some researchers who killed 4 sheep.</p>

<p>Be prepared to have your opinions challenged in college, no matter what they are. Be prepared to think hard about them and learn more to support/abandon your position. </p>

<p>The CC board is a discussion place, The UW board should be connected to things UW. This includes all sorts of sifting and winnowing of ideas (look for the plaque on campus). It is not just facts, but opinions as well. And- what is a fact? What is the truth? Does it depend on your viewpoint? For facts all one has to do is go to the school’s website. People in discussion groups want interpretations of the material. Expect all sorts of digressions. The nature of such tells you something about the character of UW- people are passionate about their school and their ideas. The focus of discussions reveals a lot about a school’s character. UW is certainly not conformist or boring, nor do people follow authority at all times. Think outside your box H…</p>

<p>Why is it so important to save human lives? Isn’t 7 billion people enough anyway?</p>