Study Abroad Cancelled - now what?

So my daughter was set for a program that worked for her major and timing - she could get back with time for a job or internship (if she lands one).

She was told it was a go but got an email today it’s been canceled. Apparently when it came time to commit financially, not everyone who initially committed signed on. They needed 12 and only 6 signed up I’m told.

Does anyone know of Maymester at their schools that might have an Asian Studies type component? I’ve looked online and through the school’s system which links hundreds of programs from all over the country and world - but the search mechanisms don’t seem to work and it’s going to be exhaustive.

My daughter is a bit distraught - but wondering if there’s a “save” out there at another school. The original term was May 16 to June 6 and hoping to find something similar. Thanks.

Brochure | Program Overview (via-trm.com)

Thinking out of the box, has your daughter considered looking into an internship abroad for the summer?

4 Likes

This program thru UMD in Kyoto is 5/27- 6/17.
https://globalmaryland.umd.edu/offices/education-abroad/program/11907#itinerary

There are a couple more programs, but inJune/ July.

2 Likes

Just clarifying….she is looking for only a three week study abroad experience?

Thx !! I’m not sure she has but will run by her.

Preferably. The timing worked to come home and get a 10 week internship b4 school…if one comes through.

Sorry this happened. Has she spoken to someone at the study abroad office at her college?

1 Like

Boston University may have some options, though I’m guessing it would probably be more like June or July rather than May. They do offer scholarships/grants to non-BU students for study abroad though, and also have some summer internship programs which could be a good alternative.

@tsbna44 IIRC, a study abroad is required for your kid’s program…is that correct? If so, that might need to take a front seat to a summer internship.

Agree…Boston University has some excellent study abroad programs open to students from other colleges. Their study abroad is a very well oiled machine too!

Thx. The topics don’t work my wife said. But I appreciate it. And their website shows many others will look at. Thx so much.

1 Like

Some other ideas

https://usac.edu/study-abroad-programs/thailand/chiang-mai/calendars/2023/summer-1

https://usac.edu/study-abroad-programs/thailand/khon-kaen/calendars/2023/summer-internship

1 Like

Thx - will take a look.

Please remind us again what your daughter needs. IIRC, she wanted something abroad…but that also included something like Asian studies or Chinese or something. Please clarify. It will be much easier for folks to give informed responses with all of the info.

Are those dates firm?

And remind us again why a typical semester abroad junior year isn’t possible.

Maybe something like this? Seems flexible. Maybe something similar in China or Taiwan?

Here is your first thread about this. I guess I’m wondering why she has changed from doing the first semester of junior year abroad…

Perhaps the info in this thread will help others make recommendations.

In the meantime…what is her advisor saying? If a study abroad is required, there surely are options that the school suggests. She may have to compromise someplace…schedule time or the internship.

So - my daughter is an International Studies and Poli Sci major. The first thread was about finding a school to take a 3rd year of Chinese - but not in Taiwan or China…not easy. That quest remains - although she’s going to pivot in school to a different focus area most likely - which will require 2 years of Chinese and one of another language vs. 3 of Chinese. Part of this is due to her planning to go to DC next year for a semester where she can’t take any language there. But that thread isn’t relevant to this one.

The thread I just started is independent - they have a 3 week Maynmester trip right when school ends - and you get six credits - one fills a gen ed I believe and the other a poli sci or international studies class. And she’s interested in the countries.

We saw it, mentioned it to her and it became an “and”, not an “or”.

So each thread is independent - and the plan is a maymester if possible (did one last year to Vieques to study Bioluminescence) - which is the three weeks, a semester, and then a DC semester.

Thanks

But the point is…this maymester has been cancelled, right?

So…what is her advisor at College of Charleston suggesting? This is a required study abroad, isn’t it? If not…just don’t do it.

1 Like

Maybe this Maymester in Australia and New Zealand via UGA ( pay in state tuition if i read correctly)
for gen eds. Wish I could go!:grinning:
https://www.discoverabroad.uga.edu/our-programs/maymester-australia-and-new-zealand/

Amended: UT Austin has some Maymesters
http://utdirect.utexas.edu/io/abroad/pgm_list/index.WBX?s_action=LIST&s_search_semester_code=MM&s_search_status_code=A

2 Likes

@Hippobirdy that sounds terrific! But I think they are looking for courses that will fall within the international relations major…or something.

2 Likes

@tsbna44 so…this Maymester is not required?

@Hippobirdy has found some terrific Maymester options. :+1:t2: