study abroad help for uw madison

<p>I'm a prospective freshman considering uw madison and i have some questions regarding studying abroad and internships on studying abroad. I'll be in the college of business if that makes any difference.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>When you study abroad for a semester, do you not have to the regular uw madison tuition and room and board for that semester and instead just pay the cost of the study abroad trip? This may be a dumb question but I just want to make sure. So if the cost is 25,000 for a semester abroad (I'm out of state), there would be no additional uw madison tuition cost, right?</p></li>
<li><p>For the study abroad + internship programs (like the TEAN australia program i think it's called), are they paid internships? online it has the costs for the programs (around 15000 for a summer) so I'm assuming the internships are unpaid since they don't mention any form of salary.</p></li>
<li><p>how common is it to get merit scholarships for study abroad? and how much would they cover?</p></li>
</ol>

<p>any other info on study abroad would be helpful</p>

<p>thanks</p>

<p>Parent of sophomore, I will try to answer what I can.</p>

<p>UW and UW affiliated programs have the costs listed on the IAP website; sometimes they are less than out of state tuition, sometimes more. Some are incredible bargains. You don’t pay UW tuition when you are on a study abroad program, you pay the program fees, plus travel, living etc expenses. The UW site has pretty good detailed projections about estimated airfare and living expenses, and gives you the total estimated cost for each program. </p>

<p>There are merit-based scholarships available for study abroad, and the application process is online. The website will populate a list of scholarships that you could be eligible for, depending on your class year, area of study and other factors. Most of them are pretty straight forward to apply for (my student applied for scholarship money for a summer program, which he ultimately decided not to do, and reported that the scholarship application process was pretty easy).</p>

<p>Also- if you do a study abroad program you are released from your Res Halls contract for the semester (not necessarily so with private leases). Son’s first roommate did Study “Abroad” at a private U in Utah for his second semester so he could ski- and credits would transfer to meet breadth requirements. Hopefully not what you had in mind. You may not find as many transferable credits in your major as those with other majors- check out the possibilities on the UW website.</p>

<p>Right - so if you do study abroad while you are living in an apartment and not a UW residence hall, you will still be responsible for the rent or the rent differential if you find a trustworthy subletter.</p>

<p>There is a fee (about $300) to be released from your UW residence hall contract for a semester, for the purpose of study abroad.</p>