UW Madison Merit Scholarships for International

I am an international student applying to UW Madison.

Are there any merit scholarships for Intl applicants?

I have amazing stats:

SAT 2340
SAT II 2400
Straight A+ in high school
Huge bunch of Ntl and Intl ECs

P.S. I have already searched their website and haven’t found anything helpful. All listed scholarships are for US citizens and do not even mention the amount of scholarship.

What is your major?

Computer Science

So that is in the College of Letters & Science.

There are generally no automatic merit scholarships at UW-Madison.

You would have to fill out the L&S scholarship application (I did not explicitly see anything stating internationals need not apply). About 1,500 incoming freshmen apply, there are only about 50 scholarships, and fewer than 10 of those are for non-Wisconsin residents. The amounts are small and generally only for one year ($500 - $1500). Application is lengthy and you need a rec letter submitted electronically, in English. There are essays.

Can you afford full pay at UW?

@determined2300

I can afford it, but I have other better options with almost the same money (U of M, GaTech)

I was considering Madison only if it had been cheaper.

The process sounds tedious and $500-$1500 would not make much of a difference, that too for one year. I’d pass.

Thanks a lot @Madison85‌

Right, it is alot of work, I am surprised so many people apply for L&S scholarships!

btw- there are others who will have equal or greater stats, I do not see those as “amazing”. They are excellent, however. I know a 16 (to be 17 in fall) UW freshman who was NOT the youngest in his Honors Physics class- there was a 14 year old HS girl taking the class through Wisconsin’s Youth Options for instate HS students- that girl was an amazing student!

You likely will be admitted with your credentials.

@wis75‌

Yes, definitely there are many more students more qualified than me.
It’s just that, looking at my friends’ stats and admissions, I know that I am a much more competent applicant :stuck_out_tongue:

At least you are humble. :-<