Subject Tests Being Removed from UC Admission Selection

<p>I read on one of the UC’s websites that by 2012 the SAT II will no longer be used for the admission process. Is that true? And what does it mean for seniors in high school now? UCs obviously don’t believe SAT subject tests are much of an indicator or something. Therefore, what are the impacts on your admission to any one of the UCs if you have low subject test scores and vice versa?</p>

<p>bump. . . . . . . . . .</p>

<p>I don’t think the subject tests prove anything worthwhile to the UCs. If I were an admissions person I wouldn’t be impressed by a Korean kid applying with a 790 SATII in Korean, either. I think if you bomb one of the tests it looks worse than it would look good if you aced one.</p>

<p>Yeah well I bombed both of the two subject tests I took, however, I didn’t study, therefore, if I retake them and score higher will it look as bad. How important are subject tests anyways for UCs if they are removing them?</p>

<p>I’m not an admissions rep so I can’t say for sure. I’m guessing for the UCs that use a strict formula it might be weighted less and for UCB/UCLA they might not look as closely at them. But I really don’t know. I think it’s fine, especially considering that SATIIs weren’t a huge make-or-break factor to begin with, assuming SATI, GPA and other stuff is good.</p>

<p>The subject test will no longer be required by the UC’s for the Class of 2012 and thereafter. However, some departments will probably want you to take them, like the engineering, math and sciences. It would be your best bet if you’re a freshman or sophomore this year, that you keep an eye on various schools and individual departments (engineering majors, for example) at UCB, UCSD, UCLA and the others to make sure you meet their individual requirements when the time comes. For example, since all the sciences at UCSD are considered “impacted” starting this year, it wouldn’t surprise me if they suggested or required subject tests like a science or math 2 to help in the admission process. Up until then, you still need the 2 subject tests, they still plug the SAT II scores into the basic UC admission formula.</p>

<p>Alright in other words how much do Sat IIs weight in on the UC admission formula?</p>

<p>^ I think it depends on the UC (some have a point system while others use the holistic approach); but I don’t think the SAT II’s are as important as the SAT I’s or the GPA in any UC school’s case.</p>

<p>I agree with savethemanatees. Subject tests are practically useless in determining whether a student deserves admission to a UC. Taking the AP US history test requires a lot more studying and thought than the history subject test. The same thing for chemistry, physics, literature, ect. I think admissions departments will put more emphasis on classes taken as well as the SAT I when choosing students.</p>

<p>Read the UC Score formula below. That is the starting point for the any UC admission and it does include the SAT II’s. Each individual school department may or may not have addition requirements. It doesn’t matter whether the SAT II’s are useless or not, they are still required at this point so I hope this helps Trojanman.</p>

<p>"UC Score Total </p>

<p>The University calculates your UC Score Total as follows:</p>

<p>If you took the SAT Reasoning Test: The University converts your highest scores in critical reading, math and writing from a single sitting and two SAT Subject Tests from different subject areas to equivalent UC Scores (see translation table below). Then all five UC Scores are added together to produce your UC Score Total (critical reading + math + writing + subject test 1 + subject test 2).</p>

<p>If you took the ACT plus its Writing exam: The University takes your highest math, reading, science and combined English/writing score from a single sitting and converts them to equivalent UC scores (see the translation table at right). To give the ACT writing component equal weight to the SAT writing exam, the University multiplies the sum of your converted math, reading and science scores by two-thirds, then adds the converted English/writing score. This subtotal is then added to your two highest SAT Subject Test scores from two different subject areas, which are also converted to equivalent UC Scores, to reach your UC Score Total ([math + reading + science] x 0.667 + English/writing + subject test 1 + subject test 2)."
<a href=“http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/paths_to_adm/freshman/scholarship_reqs.html[/url]”>http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/paths_to_adm/freshman/scholarship_reqs.html&lt;/a&gt; </p>

<p>From UC Pathways–as you can see, the Subject Tests are used in the formula to see if you are qualified for admission to the UC System. UC Pathways has a wealth of information if you have not used it already and it is also the cite to access the UC app. Private schools may use the SAT II’s differently so check each individual school requirements.</p>

<p>Although there are changes to the University of California minimum eligibility requirements for fall 2012 applicants regarding the SAT subject exams and much more, the individual campuses are not sure how this is going to effect the comprehensive review selection process. I’m sure as soon as more information is available it will be widely sent out. For more information on the changes please see [UC</a> Regents Adopt Changes to Freshman Eligibility](<a href=“http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/eligibilitychanges/]UC”>http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/eligibilitychanges/)</p>

<p>Remember that these are only changes to the minimum UC eligibility requirements.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Au contraire. UC’s own research shows that Subject Tests by themselves are more predictive than the SAT by itself. (And, yes, AP scores are even better.)</p>

<p>What are some horrible SAT II scores and average SAT II scores because when I took them I did somewhat horrible? When you retake the SAT IIs do you have to send in your past scores, and if you improve those scores, will UCs take notice of that, or will they just remember you by bombing the subject tests?</p>

<p>You have to remember that admissions people for the UCs are evaluating tens of thousands of applications. They probably just take the highest two scores, plug them into the formula and move on. They are not likely to try to speculate and interpret why this person took the tests several times and that one didn’t and this one got a lower score and then raised it a lot, where another got more consistant scores and so on…</p>

<p>Up until CB offered score choice, ALL test scores were available by the app reader for his/her consideration/review. What s/he did with them, was up to him/her.</p>

<p>Not sure what UC will do with Score Choice – some colleges (Yale, Stanford) are requiring all scores. But my guess is that UC will not require all scores bcos it costs the applicant more money.</p>

<p>Only the top scores (SAT I Full and top 2 SAT subject tests) are visible to the application reader. And the UC computer spits out the UC score irrespective of ACT, SAT or whatever subject tests applicants take. This information is directly from Admissions folks at Davis and SD.</p>

<p>^^that is NOT correct. ALL submitted scores will appear on the UC file. (Yeah, I know that they only “take” the top 2, but all scores are visible.</p>

<p>What are average ranges for SAT subject tests that we neither help you nor hurt you.</p>