UCs getting rid of subject tests: Subject test sill important?

<p>I heard that for the class of 2012, the UCs will no longer require the SAT subject tests. So, I already took one of the subject tests. Will they use the subject test to place me in a class even if I am not going to major in that subject?</p>

<p>If I do well in the subject tests, but badly on the AP test, which classes would they place me in?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>UCs do not use Subject Tests for placement. Any Subject Tests taken will be evaluated for a-g requirement substitution but the scores will not impact your chance of admission. For engineering, Math Level 2 and a science are still strongly recommended.</p>

<p>That’s ridiculous. The subject tests show a lot more about what a student knows compared to the stupid reasoning test.</p>

<p>I think it’s a a good move. There is far too much emphasis on testing as it is. Now that the writing is part of the SATI, there’s really no need for subject tests.
I would think high school seniors in Cali will be relieved. They can spend their last year studying for their classes and concentrate on their grades.</p>

<p>I’m thinking I read somewhere that they will not be required, but will be considered. Too late for my son, but I think it makes sense too. For students aspiring to schools like Merced or Riverside, maybe with no AP classes, I’m not sure what the point is. If you want to show your advanced skills, go for it. But for the student who has “only” had “regular” classes,( for whatever reason, thank you…), only the Math 2 seems feasible without having to “self study”. Few other schools at that level require them.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Huh? That is NOT what UC posts on its website…</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>[University</a> of California Admissions](<a href=“http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/paths_to_adm/freshman/examination_reqs.html]University”>http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/paths_to_adm/freshman/examination_reqs.html)</p>

<p>Basically, if you take the subject tests and do good in them, you are much better off then a person who didn’t take them. I would still recommend for everyone to take the subject tests to separate themselves from the rest of the applicants. I did really well in my subjects tests and that really helped me in my application, or else, I don’t think I would’ve got into some of the schools I did.</p>

<p>for rising seniors, i would definitely still take those tests, and proceed as though there hasn’t been any decision made whatsoever as to their importance, because the UCs are very ‘fuzzy’ about whether they’ll be considered (as bluebayou pointed out). i really don’t see what all the fuss was about, and why they made this big announcement about a ‘change’ in admissions criteria when in essence there HASN’T been one. i think they’re probably afraid of legal challenges (both from college board and students who feel that eliminating the reqt. puts them at risk), so they’re playing both sides of the fence. “may be considered” is the same as saying WILL be considered. so play it safe!!!</p>

<p>and i fall under the category where i don’t see that these tests hold any value other than a cursory glance into how well a student tested on the day they sat for that particular exam (or how much $$ their parents were willing to kick down for test prep). they are indicative of absolutely nothing. get rid of ALL of them, i say.</p>

<p>They are still required for this years rising seniors (HS class of '11)</p>

<p>yes, i realized that after i typed my mini-rant, lol.</p>

<p>it just bugs me that their language isn’t more firm on the elimination of the requirement. doesn’t affect my son’s life since he’s an incoming frosh this year, but there’s been so much back and forth about this that it’s time to put it to rest for kids in the future.</p>

<p>Well I would definitely let my son skip it if it weren’t a definite requirement. He is a long shot for most UC’s, and I don’t think the subject tests will help his case at all. Add to that, he will essentially need to “self study” for anything but math. Might not be worth it, and that’s too bad.</p>

<p>best of luck to him! u’re entering an exciting time!!</p>

<p>Thanks!..</p>

<p>calimani:</p>

<p>According to it’s own public announcements, UC changed the policy to enable more URMs to become eligible for admission. (They did a study of the students going to Cal States and found that some/many of them would have qualified for UC but did not take Subject Tests so were thus ineligible.)</p>

<p>Thus, IMO, students from privileged backgrounds should continue to take the ST’s.</p>

<p>yes, i was following the debate pretty closely b/c i was hoping the reqt. would have been eliminated in time for my son to be able to have one less stressor to deal with. didn’t happen. now, it seems like they’re walking it back a bit, and i don’t like that.</p>

<p>u meant to type ‘underprivileged’ right?</p>

<p>negative. If an applicant is low income, it’s understandable why they can’t afford to take the STs. But it they come from an middle-upper class school, and all their colleagues take STs, they had better take them as well (for top UCs). Just my opinion.</p>

<p>i agree, but for low-income–get a fee waiver. i think all kids regardless of socioecon./school profile should proceed as usual and just continue to take the tests. the UC game has experienced a change with this last admissions cycle. covering all bases until clearer language is put out there would be the wisest choice.</p>

<p>unfortunately, fee waivers only cover ~4 colleges, so not much help if also applying to Cal States…</p>

<p>@bluebayou, Engineering will still consider Math Level 2 and a science. In fact, engineering applicants are still strongly recommended to take those tests. But that does not apply to everyone.</p>

<p>^^I clearly posted that it was my opinion.</p>