Submit-then what happens?

My kid has submitted to a few colleges over the summer. We are in NY so school hasn’t started. This means no official transcript yet.

2 acceptances (send official when you can)
2 send official transcript as soon as possible and we’ll let you know
1 no communication at all
1 sent portal info

I thought all would send info to sign up for their own portaI? Guess I’m mistaken but I thought that’s how notifications would come.

Could it be because apps are incomplete without official transcript? I thought my niece told me the portal was how she saw what was missing from her application.

And should we contact the college that hasn’t communicated? I know they must be busy but 3 weeks with no acknowledgement seems off. Common App sent an email saying it’s submitted but nothing from the school, which is the one she really wants.

Anyone know if colleges set up portal access with partial submission? Thanks

Colleges are starting the current academic year right now. At many places, the admissions office is actually closed the week before classes start so that the staff can have a well deserved vacation.

I’m not sure what exactly you want to hear. Our kids submitted their applications, and never got anything except reminders about applying for financial aid if they planned to do so. That was it.

3 Likes

I would follow up with the one where there has been no communication. Make sure your kid is checking the email spam folder first. :smiley:

Once they have portal access I wouldn’t worry too much. Just check regularly and make certain to provide the information that is needed once available.

Best of luck!!!

2 Likes

Different colleges operate differently.
I’m guessing the application is incomplete and that is why there is minimal communication. Take a breath and give things time to get processed.

There might not be any communication but your daughter should get a portal login. Have her check her junk email, and call the admissions office if still nothing. There might not be updates for a while but she should have portal access.

Colleges do set up portal access with partial submission–but D24 submitted her first app Aug 2, and didn’t get a portal login until tonight! They had told us over the phone that the admissions office wouldn’t open applications until today. :grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! She sent an email to the one school which didn’t acknowledge the application. So far no response! She will probably call next week if still no response. It’s still so early that it is more curiosity about no response rather than expectation of an answer. I guess portal access can take longer than I thought.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.