Summer 2013 questions

<p>Hi everyone, seeking some advice on how to get my son to like (or at least be willing to consider) Alabama for engineering. He is high stats, potential NMSF, and BAma got on my radar for $ reasons, but after more research it seems like it could be a good fit for some other reasons also, particularly the Honors community. My question is how to visit to really maximize all points in the schools favor, while minimizing the negatives. Most likely we will try and go over the summer, which may not be ideal as far as students/activities on campus. So, are there any ideas as to what we should see/do (or not see/do for that matter) to make the visit more special? Thanks in advance for any insight.</p>

<p>And on another subject if anyone cares to chime in, any familiarity with the engineering summer camp they offer? Think it would help/hurt his opinion of the school, and is it worth the $ to find out?</p>

<p>Stefalis - We visited UA over our spring break (UA was in session). I would recommend (as was recommended to me!) to contact the honors department to set up a tour. Let them know what you would like to see while you are there. When we were there, we visited with the honors department, DS sat in on an honors class, met with a professor & student in the engineering department, ate lunch with honors ambassador student who also took us on a tour of the honors dorm, then met back with an engineering student who took us on a tour of the engineering department (this last tour was set up on the day of our visit after we ran out of time earlier in the day!).</p>

<p>I have read some of your other posts. DS & I weren’t sure about Alabama prior to visiting, but after visiting it is high on DS’ list! The honors program is super, as is the scholarship program! The dorms are the nicest we’ve seen so far! When we drove round the night before our tour, I felt the campus was huge, but once we took the tour, it didn’t seem near as big! </p>

<p>Good luck with your search!</p>

<p>Stefalis, this is only my opinion, but if you really want your son to like Alabama I would not visit in the summer. Not that UA isn’t beautiful all year round, but the energy is not there when most of the student body is missing. I know when we were there for Bama Bound in July, it was pretty quiet. We stayed an extra day and it was dead around there. I would suggest to wait until Fall when the kids are back to tour the campus. Of course if you only can go in summer, go when a bama bound session is going on. At least it will seem more lively then.</p>

<p>Show him a picture of the dorms. That was all it took to get my son interested in taking a closer look.</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice, I agree summer is not ideal but probably all I have to work with. So far he seems more impressed by facilities than people, a couple of his favorites were pretty deserted over Spring Break and he was unphased. The summer heat on the other hand…</p>

<p>My son’s only visit was on a Friday in September. While technically there was school, the campus was dead; most everyone had left for Florida for the following game’s day. </p>

<p>What impressed my son the most was the professors he met with. He had a long visit with Dr. Ricks - including an unplanned period of play time in the robotics lab. I don’t know which profs will be around in summer but I’m sure Allison could find out. If your son is interested in attending a class, choose a day when a class that would interest him is being held.</p>

<p>I will volunteer my daughter who will be on campus. She is a current freshman ChemE major who will be working in Dr. Kim’s cancer stem cell lab. PM me when it gets closer and I can put you in touch with her. She LOVES all thing Alabama and has had unbelievable opportunities this year.</p>

<p>Stefalis, Sniner’s daughter is stunning. 10 minutes with her would be enough to sign up most any teenage boy on the spot. You should take advantage of her offer.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>lol…Sninerette should be one of our recruitment poster students! Of course, many others here have very attractive Bama kids as well. :slight_smile: </p>

<p>Stefalis: When do you plan on visiting in the summer? Yes, summer visits can be odd since the campus may not be very busy, but if you visit when Bama Bounds are occurring, the campus will seem more lively.</p>

<p>Do try to visit Bama…I think you’ll be very impressed by all the new facilities.</p>

<p>If you do visit, first set up the campus tour online…try for an early morning time! Don’t bother with the “info session”, you’ll get that info here pretty much on the Alabama forum on College Confidential which is VERY active.*</p>

<p>In the email include:</p>

<p>Student’s name and contact info</p>

<p>Date and time of the Campus tour that you’ve reserved.</p>

<p>GPA and test scores (include NMSF status)</p>

<p>Likely majors</p>

<p>Career interests (including med, law, etc)</p>

<p>Anything particular that you want to see. *If you have an interest in seeing the new Science and Engineering Complex, let them know.</p>

<p>Honors Recruitment
Allison Verhine
Coordinator
269 Nott Hall
205-348-5534
<a href=“mailto:allison.verhine@ua.edu”>allison.verhine@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Susan Alley
Assistant Coordinator
270 Nott Hall
205-348-5599
<a href=“mailto:susan.alley@ua.edu”>susan.alley@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Allison and her assistant will arrange the rest of the day…meeting with faculty related to major, honors college faculty, touring honors dorms, etc.</p>

<p>Sometimes mail goes to their SPAM folders, so call them if you haven’t heard back within a few business days. These ladies do an excellent job and work very hard</p>

<p>Here is an online viewbook: [UA</a> Viewbook - Undergraduate Admissions - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://viewbook.ua.edu/]UA”>http://viewbook.ua.edu/)</p>

<p>Here is a list of AP credit, CLEP credit, IB credit available by examination. [Credit</a> by Examination < The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://courseleaf.ua.edu/introduction/academicpolicies/creditbyexamination/]Credit”>http://courseleaf.ua.edu/introduction/academicpolicies/creditbyexamination/)</p>

<p>Look at what you can accomplish!
[University</a> of Alabama News » UA Students Receive Goldwater Scholarships](<a href=“http://uanews.ua.edu/2013/04/ua-students-receive-goldwater-scholarships/]University”>http://uanews.ua.edu/2013/04/ua-students-receive-goldwater-scholarships/)
We know these folks!</p>

<p>Hope you enjoy your visit. Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>My son attended the SITE engineering camp last summer. It was a great intro to all that Bama has to offer in Engineering. It’s basically their chance to show off to interested students. They stayed in dorms, ate in the dining halls, went to classes, took a field trip to a plant in Birmingham, and had a few social activities. They kept the kids busy. Opening they provided a dinner for the parents dropping kids off, and also did something for patents at the end that we were unable to attend. It was well organized and safe.
My son really enjoyed the air and space engineering, and metallurgical ( materials). He was quite impressed with the 3D printer. For him it was a chance to see if Engineering really was the path he wants to follow.
If you have any specific questions, I will be happy to ask him about the camp.</p>

<p>DS will be involved in the HHMI program this summer, so I know there will be several engineering professors and students on campus for 9 weeks starting June 3. I don’t know if that will be populated enough :slight_smile: but you might schedule your visit in there somewhere if your son is interested in Biology or ChemE. I would imagine the honors college or Engineering folks would swing around that way and let you peek at what is going on in the research labs. Just a thought.</p>

<p>Thanks for all of the great suggestions and offers of help. The tour guide suggestion is especially appreciated as that might be all it takes to convince him:) You are all so friendly, I may be back with some other questions as it gets closer to our visit. We will probably go before or after our Destin trip the first week in June, sound like later in the week might be better.</p>

<p>We will probably be making our first visit to campus on or about June 5! My son is very interested in UA, but just can’t get there before school lets out. If he likes it as he expects, he will apply this summer and probably visit again when school is in session. </p>

<p>@ParkTN → We just found out about the SITE camp and filled out the online application this weekend. Is that all there is to sign up (other than pay, of course)? How will we know if he is selected to attend? Is there more to the application than the online form?</p>

<p>Maryjay: In a week or so, you will be sent a form indicating that your S is accepted to the program. You will return the form indicating that your S will participate in the program. You do not pay at that time. Hope that helps.</p>

<p>Thanks Cuttlefish! We’ll look forward to that acceptance!</p>