Super worried about admission

Hello all,

I am currently a junior in high school and have a 5.044/6.0W and 3.7ish/4.0UW GPA, 32 ACT (34E, 32S, 30M, 31R). I also rank in the top 25% of my class. I am also an URM, Hispanic.

I recently saw that the admissions to engineering are changing to holistic review for the fall 2017, the year that I will be applying for in August. I understand that I can currently can automatic admission to A&M for getting a 30 or above on my ACT and being ranked in the top 25% of my class.

I am super worried that the automatic admission criteria will change because the engineering admissions changed to holistic review. I really want to go to A&M for engineering because most of my family went there.

Any insight on this?

Here’s the link https://engineering.tamu.edu/easa/areas/recruitment/fall-2017-admissions It says there are no changes to the auto admit to the university (top 10% is by law and academic admit is by TAMU board approval) so you should be able to count on that provided you qualify by rank at the end of this semester. if you want to try to increase your score you can - apply early - you can update scores after you apply. Doing something amazing with your summer might be a good idea if you’re a little shaky on the EC/ what else you got - category. You’ve got a good start now build a great application :slight_smile:

You have automatic academic admit and a 32 ACT should be competitive in the review process. If you can improve your math sub score or get a good AP calculus or SAT Math subject test score you’d be assured admission to engineering.

As far as ECs are concerned a summer job is a good option.

@AGmomx2 I’m actually going to be coding an Android app that helps people learn the different music staves for an English project this semester. I plan to release it on the app store. The funny thing is is that I’m leaning on majoring on mechanical engineering not computer science. Do you think this would be a good EC?

Yes, unique EC are always favored it seems. Keep in mind computer science is within the same college - who know you might end up there once you choose a major after a few courses! strive to be as well rounded as you can - find opportunities this summer, it will also often help with writing more compelling essays. Holistic review means everything counts so take a look at your own potential app & see where you could improve & do it. Nothing sweeter than getting into your favorite school early in the process!! good luck!