Switching to psychology major instead?

I’m a junior in high school and my grades are no where near competitive to get accepted into the nursing schools I want. I probably wouldn’t even get accepted to the majority of schools. I have all A’s and B’s but due to me screwing up freshman year I have a 2.9. I will probably end up applying to schools with a 3.1. ANYWAYS because I most likely won’t get accepted to nursing, should I pursuit a psychology instead? I’m very interested in psychology but nursing would be my top choice. Would majoring in psychology be less competitive than majoring in nursing?

Apply to both, and keep your options open. There are some nursing programs that are not extremely competitive, such as ones at lesser known private colleges in PA and at community colleges and branch campuses.

To answer your basic question, yes, psych would probably be a less competitive major. However, there’s more than one way to become a nurse. You say you’re not competitive for the school’s you want. Well, what’s the goal? Being a nurse or attending a particular institution? There’s nothing wrong with either goal, just be honest with yourself about your choices.

Students can sit for the NCLEX-RN with associate’s degrees from many community colleges. While some hospitals are only hiring new grads with BSNs, the majority still hire ADNs, too. If nursing is the goal, apply to both two and four year programs. If you are only accepted into the two year programs, remember that Once you hold and ADN, you can take a bridge program and earn your BSN.

Ordinarylives is right, there is more than one way to become an RN. If you are interested in nursing, you should look into in -direct admit programs for nursing schools. If you apply after working very hard through college, they won’t even look at your high school grades, they will be irrelevant unless they were AP credits towards your prerequisities. You can easily keep psych as a back up option with an indirect program. This route seems more stressful that direct, but you would have time to make yourself a competitive applicant if you apply yourself right.

As mentioned before, look into community colleges if nursing is really your passion. They’re programs are great, and it’s very simple to then take a RN - BSN program if you ultimately want to have a bachelor’s degree, but that’s not even necessary.

Apply to both! I believe you will be granted admission to good schools, a 3.1 can land you acceptances at a wide range of nursing programs depending on your test scores. If you have a lower GPA, work towards higher test scores to balance yourself out.

Good luck :slight_smile:

Just so you know, a BA in psychology is not going to go far in a career in Psychology. You need a Master or PHD. However, you can get a BA in psychology then get a AA nursing degree to work in nursing. Particularly if you are interested in Psych nursing, that may suit you well.