Syracuse Class of 2027 Official Thread

The general sense I got from the question is where does the stat come from (or are people just guessing what it might be)? Syracuse historically is pretty tight fisted with acceptance statistics.

The other consideration is that the yield (% of enrolled after accepted) is going to be higher for those more desirable programs therefore the acceptance rate is going to be lower than average - coupled with the higher number of applicants and it make the situation look pretty challenging.

1 Like

I found this online: Ā» Facts and Figures

If you scroll down to Selectivity, you get a sense of acceptance rates. 5,000 applicants for incoming class of 425

1 Like

Thanks - helpful in understanding some of the picture but a 20% acceptance rate on 5K apps would imply 1K and a yield of 43% (which would be exceptionally high - but possible depending on how many came in through the ED rounds since the yield on those is 100%).

Several colleges in the university have fewer spaces than those desired by students.

These schools are some of them:

Maxwell
Architecture
Newhouse

The above are top 1 and top 5-10 programs.

Syracuseā€™s architecture school beats the Ivy League.

Somewhere along the way, I calculated or estimated that Newhouse or Maxwell had a 10% acceptance rate.

Even if my calculation is incorrect, I know many are rejected, so I have realistic expectations.

2 Likes

DS is an Architecture applicant and yeah, weā€™re holding breath a little. He got into Tulane last week (top 20 program) but Syracuse is first choice on his list - probably as much because itā€™s more local than any real difference between a rank 5 and a rank 15.

2 Likes

do you all think its going to be today? my slice says it will be down for maintenance tomorrow, you think thats when they are loading decisions?

1 Like

Do I think decisions are coming this afternoon? Yes - at least a good portion of them (consistent with past years). I have NO inside information.

Per the portal the admission notification will be posted there as a status update at the top of the page - NOT on MySlice. I suspect the MySlice maintenance has to do with them rolling things forward for the '23-24 school year and part of that would include the financial aid which would need to be loaded.

My $0.02 - which is non refundable if all predictions above are completely wrong. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Are they top 5-10 programs, though? I know itā€™s always said that Newhouse is the best, and my daughter (who is not a very strong applicant) is praying for a Newhouse acceptance miracle. However, Niche (considered to be a reputable standard) ranks Syracuse as #28 for Best Colleges for Communications. This, behind some colleges where my daughter was already admitted as a Communications major, including Penn State and Michigan State (which we considered to be a safety). This ranking takes me by surprise! Here, I have been thinking that if she gets into Newhouse, itā€™s a no-brainer, but maybe I should have been encouraging her to explore Penn State, which she has pretty much ruled out by now. :woman_shrugging:

ETA, Niche ranks Syracuse as #31 for Architecture. Are there other rankings that I should be looking at that are more accurate and respected?

Same situation here- she was accepted to Penn State but doesnā€™t seem overly excited about it. I think Cuse is widely considered top of top for broadcast journalist / production.

I thought so, too, but I canā€™t find any data to support that theory. A lot of kids from our town in NJ go to Penn State. Terrific school, but it kind of feels like 13th grade for her. Now that I see this ranking, though, I wish she would have explored it more. Iā€™m a Syracuse alumn, and neither of my other daughters chose it. So, I am hoping this thirdā€“and lastā€“one is the charm!

2 Likes

Has anyone else received multiple requests from the financial aid office to submit additional documents? My D has received at least 4 email requests with another request this morning. Each time the request is for things that donā€™t apply to us or for docs that have already been submitted (some multiple times). Is this the norm for Syracuse? Is their fin aid office separate from admissions? Pretty sure this means no decision for D today.

1 Like

I would think itā€™s good news. Mine has received zero requests, but my husband was in charge of submitting financial aid info, and missed a deadline. I have no idea what that means for possible merit money, without which, she cannot attend Syracuse! :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

Rankings like Niche etc, tend to favor schools that are highly ranked across the board. I think the more useful rankings come from the opinions of people within their respective industries. An example for architecture:

Iā€™m not sure about rankings for communications. But I know that Newhouse has an amazing reputation within the field. A lot of people would be surprised to learn that Mizzou journalism has a fantastic reputation, for example. Lots of factors to consider that may not easily be ā€œrankedā€.

Thatā€™s what they tell you on the tour :joy:

We went back and forth with them a few times a few weeks ago, then they updated our FAFSA in a way that I felt didnā€™t reflect the details we provided. When I called, I found out they hadnā€™t even seen the last batch of documents because only the first of several I uploaded at one time was visible through MySlice. Rather than reach out again, they seem to have just guessed. I ended up re-sending those documents. Other than them acknowledging receipt of the documents, I havenā€™t heard back since, and they havenā€™t adjusted our FAFSA again.

Interesting perspective, thank you! Iā€™m not sure how important rankings are anyway. It just has me thinking that things arenā€™t always as they seem. If my daughter doesnā€™t get into Syracuse, she will probably end up at South Carolina, which has the worst ranking for Communications of all the schools sheā€™s been admitted to LOL

1 Like

@Coldwombat beat me to it. I canā€™t speak to Communications, Sports Broadcasting or any of those but there are better ranks for Architecture than Niche DesignIntelligence and other industry lists are more relevant. And you can find substantial differences from one list to the next in terms of where a school is but if you look for consistency around roughly where a school is - gives you an idea. Syracuse is pretty consistently in the top 10 of lists. And if you do an information session with them theyā€™ll tell you that one versus two versus eight is irrelevant - A school thatā€™s within 5-10 of the school youā€™re comparing it to is equivalent. I believe Niche ranks Rice with the #1 Architecture program and its consistently in the top 10 of other lists.

DesignIntelligence in fact has stopped doing a numerical ranking for this reason. People getting too hung up in the 1st versus 7th rank.

1 Like

No requests from Syracuse. We filed FAFSA and CSS back in November when it opened. I will say that we have a pretty ā€œstandardā€ filing though from an income and assets standpoint.

I donā€™t know that I would interpret it as a good or bad thing in terms of getting a decision today (assuming it is today) but if they normally outline aid packages with acceptance you might be missing that component of it until that gets square.

3 Likes

We also had some requests regarding documents. Financial Aid office said that any delay will not affect the admissions process, but the financial aid package may be a bit delayed. It also should not affect merit aid.

2 Likes