Syracuse Class of 2027 Official Thread

Which program is capped at 30 at Clemson? Our Newhouse applicant was admitted to the Sports Communication major at Clemson - but they really want to be at Syracuse.

oh wow she was sports comm at Clemson

and that was her first choice

Is the sports comm program at Clemson capped at 30? (That seems small for a school like Clemson.) We are OOS so we’re pretty happy with the Clemson results. Although, Syracuse is among their top choices so have to wait to see what happens.

My D also applied to Newhouse TV/Radio/Film as well. She is hoping to double major in Statistics or Sociology but not Dual Major. I think I got that right? We did a whole day of tours and info sessions for the university and Newhouse. Hopefully that counts for something. She has very high stats. Hoping for acceptance. Hoping for merit too. We shall see. Next two weeks could be rough, but at least she’s happy with her U.Wisconsin-Madison acceptance.

2 Likes

Our applicant applied to Newhouse as a Broadcast Journalism major and is interested in the Sports Management minor and eventually grad school (Sports Media and Communications) track. I don’t think the lack of a dual major interest would matter as many will change their minds once in the school and they have to know that there are so many choices, kids need to get in and see where their interests lie.

We couldn’t do a lot of “demonstrated interest” until recently when we visited and attended the Open House and did a separate Newhouse tour
 mostly online prior to that. What an impressive program.

Our applicant applied to 18 schools and has had luck at the safeties but got a lot of waitlists at the big state schools (Michigan and Wisco). Hoping to hear good news - and soon - from Syracuse. Good luck to our kids!

3 Likes

I assume your applicant applied RD and not ED?
That is our concern - We probably should have applied ED, but there were some complicating factors which kept us from doing so.

2 Likes

We didn’t apply anywhere ED. First, she didn’t have a clear number one and second, we can’t full pay but don’t qualify for financial aid and so are dependent on merit. For the most part, we’ve been pleasantly surprised at the amount of merit she’s received.

Of the 26 schools, 4 were SUNYs that we hadn’t intended to apply to but since she was applying to Purchase, we added the others during the free application week so we knew we would have at least one affordable option. Same with the Cal States, just one application. And for half of them, she received fee waivers, so she kept it under the application budget.

There were a lot of supplemental essays, and 10 schools required portfolios, but some like DePaul were just the common app with no extra questions. “Why are you interested in Syracuse” was one of the easiest essays for her to write since she has the first-hand experience with SU.

We had a family discussion last night to narrow the list of schools she/we wanted to pursue. We are down to 5 from the 17 accepted, which I’m really excited about. Afterwards, I scheduled visits to three, one we had a really good visit already, and the last is across the country but we’re familiar with the school and area. Luckily, the three visits are within driving distance and just two needed overnight stays.

Of the six schools yet to be announced, including Syracuse, we’ve visited four, so I think I see some light at the end of the tunnel.

2 Likes

Is the decision expected to come out tomorrow because the school said so or precedence? Thanks.

1 Like

Precedence

1 Like

Ha! Just wishful thinking! :blush:

Thanks for sharing. Any suggestions on what to look for in visits. Are these visits 1:1 planned with the school or as part of a open house?

Two visits are admitted student days and for the other D23 will be shadowing a student in her major. One of the challenges is that I’m finding the admitted student events are all the same weekends. We did not make any plans to go away for spring break so we could visit schools and 2 of the 3 I’ve scheduled for that week.

2 Likes

At this point if you’ve not already visited and you’re waiting on a decision I would just wait to see if you’re accepted or not and then attend one of their accepted student days. Those dates have not yet been published but expect there to be a few days around the 2nd/3rd weekends in April.

If you can’t make one of those you can just sign up for a general admissions tour and depending on what specific program you are looking at they usually have a tour/information session as well.

2 Likes

General question
 and I am sure this was covered at some point in this thread
 if they drop decisions tomorrow, historically what time of the day have they dropped? And was it a “just randomly check the portal”, or was there an email flag?

2 Likes

Everything we have gotten from Syracuse has been about 3pm, except one was 6pm. Good luck!!

3 Likes

Where are you guys getting the acceptance rates for Newhouse? I see one article on College Gazette that says “might be 20%” but says that other comms/journalism schools have acceptance rates of 50%. Syracuse has an acceptance rate of somewhere between 50-60% - why would Newhouse be at 18%? And where is that accounted for in stats, if the stats for Newhouse are similar to Arts and Sciences? Any info?

EDI was released just before 5:00pm and my son received an email, stating that there was an update to his application status.

1 Like

The 50% to 60% are the school average, but the acceptance rates among the individual SU colleges varies significantly, with Newhouse and Falk being much lower than the rest. The reason is supply and demand; there are many more applicants to those two schools than spaces because of the stellar reputation of the programs (plus Falk’s overall capacity is much lower, I believe). Then there are other schools within SU with higher acceptance rates and more total spaces, which then averages overall to the 50% to 60%.

Acceptance rates can be highly misleading. For example, the graduate university where my daughter wants to apply to has an average of 50% acceptance rate, but her program has only 5 spaces, meaning the acceptance rate is only around 1%. It always depends on the available seats and the number of applicants.

2 Likes