Syracuse Class of 2027 Official Thread

My D got into Colorado EA but was offered no merit or Honors College. She was accepted to Syr with $30k merit and also Northwestern. The CU offer makes no sense. I see you are in the same boat. Just discard the trash and move forward with the treasures.

3 Likes

My D got in Regular

3 Likes

I got waitlisted

My son got waitlisted. ACT 34, GPA UW 3.9, 7 APs so far, taking 5 currently. Active in Debate. He has other acceptances that he is more interested in so heā€™s moving on.

2 Likes

Congrats!! Iā€™ve never heard of getting $30k merit at SU. Thatā€™s wonderful! What a feat! Kudos to your student. :tada:

2 Likes

Just curious if anyone was admitted who went test optional?

1 Like

DS admitted to Falk, 1380 SAT, 4.0 wgpa, 7 apā€™s-rest honors, no merit given

My D (last year) was test optional and was admitted to Whitman. She also got merit aid.

Demonstrated Interest is extremely important to SU. They want to know the kid loves them when theyā€™re making admit decisions. For the high stat kids that got WLā€™d how engaged were they, did they do tours, counselor interviews, open and click through emails, follow on social.

Per the numbers further up only about 1/3 of the kids offered WL even accept a place on it. At this point in the admissions cycle so many kids have other acceptances - good schools with good aid. Though SU WL is disappointing it suggests those kids that opted out werenā€™t ā€œin loveā€ with SU anyhow.

DS will opt for WL but mentally move on - has a good offer on table from Tulane, but we still need to visit.

4 Likes

My son was waitlisted for Falk. He did select second choice major for Econ but it wasnā€™t offered. Bummer, he was really thinking a SU would be an accept.4.7 gpa and 1500 SAT.

My daughter could not have been more engagedā€“two local visits, two on-campus visits, interview, online class, social media and contact with her counselor. All honors besides 6 APs. She has a 4.0 unweighted, Varsity sports captain, leadership in choir and orchestra, etc. etc. etc.

She accepted her waitlist position and will continue to persue SU but this whole process has been very disheartening.

3 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry. I hear you. My daughter was waitlisted at BC on Thursday. We thought sheā€™d get in. These poor kids (and all of the parents that love them!) have been saddled with so much stress over college applications. I despise the whole entire process. The common app and test optional has really made this process a mess.

2 Likes

How did your daughter set up local visits?

My D was waitlisted, but we are not taking the spot - hope that helps someone out. She decided not to submit her portfolio - that could certainly be a reason. SU was really the first school we visited (we are in PA). After visiting other schools it fell out of favor. It does have a great reputation but all in all it wasnā€™t a standout for us. Waitlisted is really an acceptance but the amount of applications makes it impossible to admit the amount of qualified students, and yes- you have to be committed and show it.

What more things can my daughter be doing to show interest? Weā€™ve visited 3 times, and she did an interview.

Still hurts. He felt the fit made sense. A little bit of a win this morning, he was accepted to CMU, which is also one of his top choicesā€¦takes the sting out of the Syracuse waitlistā€¦

6 Likes

It may just have come down to how many each college ended up taking during ED.
ED is the ultimate way to show interest and after the ED rounds there are only so many spots remaining and a class to then build among those remaining spots.

Itā€™s not a huge school and many apply ED to this particular university.

2 Likes

As we all know, the whole dynamic of admissions has changed. The whole ā€œholisticā€ approach IS IMPOSSIBLE with the massive number of applicants. Its not possible to truly do an thorough read through of each applicantā€¦Kids are applying to 15, 20, 30 schools in many cases just to see if they ā€œget inā€ā€¦ I think the test optional has changed things significantly. Schools like Penn State that get 100k applicants, they say right from the get goā€¦ we do not look at letter of recs or read essays, its all about what you did grade-wise fresh, soph and junior year in HS. Im not saying I agree with it but they are upfront about it. This happened to SO MANY schools this year. (and last year too). So I do feel its a bit of a lotteryā€¦ again speaking GENERALLY not speaking to the niche majorsā€¦

4 Likes

Congrats!! :slight_smile: and I am sorry about SU. It is such a let down. My son felt the same way. He really though he would get into SU as he got into several other very competitive, low acceptance schools. Its just a different game these days. Basically picking names out of a hat. 40 kids from his school applied (top ranked school) all kids had excellent statsā€¦ so far he has only heard waitlists from many of them.

We did ED. Got deferred.