Tablet PC for Engineering?

<p>I know we have to get a tablet pc in the engineering program but I was wondering a few things:</p>

<p>1) Is there only one option of tablets we can buy?
2) How much are the computers approx?
3) Can we bring another computer in addition to buying the tablet?
4) What is the name and model of the one used in the program?</p>

<p>1) No, there are several options from several manufacturers.
2) It varies. Check the VT bookstore website to get a rough idea. I’d suggest buying from there because when (yes I mean when) your tablet breaks you can get it fixed on site.
3) Absolutely, and if you have it you should. Tablets are junk.
4) Like I said, there are several. Mine was Toshiba until I destroyed it.</p>

<p>To answer number four, it seems that most people spring for the Fujitsu, which is a generally fairly well-built computer.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that if you really want to, you really don’t “have” to buy a Tablet PC. The introductory Engineering class is the only class that actually makes it mandatory to utilize it, and you could just as easily buy a separate tablet pad (for about $100) and use it for whatever laptop you want.</p>

<p>Would anyone recommend a netbook tablet/desktop combination? Desktop would be used for all the heavy lifting while the tablet would be for notes and whatever class stuff requires a tablet.</p>

<p>That’s exactly what I would recommend, redfirex67. You might be better off buying a cheapo laptop with a bigger screen and then wiping it and installing only the essentials, however.</p>

<p>Using a desktop and multiple monitors for it will drastically improve your productivity as well as save you tons of money if you do it right. Save the $ on the tablet pc by buying a USB tablet and buy yourself a few nice monitors to go with the desktop.</p>

<p>I don’t know if I’d recommend a netbook per se, but certainly an inexpensive laptop with a bigger screen.</p>

<p>Screw the tablet. Its not really integrated into class except for MAYBE the freshman level classes, even if that. In the higher level classes they are rarely (never) used, and they are pretty much expensive junk.</p>

<p>My son did what ymom suggests-bought a separate tablet pad for under $100 (at Best Buy) to use with his laptop. Has not mentioned that there has been any problem with doing it that way.</p>

<p>yeah i really want to get a macbook pro and use a separate tablet, which i already own.</p>

<p>my friend who went to the women in engineering orientation said that they don’t really suggest people get macs… is this true? i prefer macs WAYYY over windows.</p>

<p>You can probably get by with a Macintosh, but you’re going to need to dual-boot Windows (or at the very least, run Boot Camp). Keep in mind though, the engineering department expects that you’re running Windows and won’t show a whole lot of sympathy if you can’t get a program to work on your Mac.</p>

<p>They won’t show sympathy, but I can almost guarantee SWAT will help you out either way and that they want kids to install Windows 7. If that’s confusing to you, think about it this way:</p>

<p>They get paid by the hour, regardless of how many kids they help. If you have 7 or a Mac you’re much less likely to have issues and therefore they get to sit around more. I’ve even seen them OFFER to install Windows 7 for students who were having issues.</p>

<p>As ymon said, if you’re running a Mac you’ll be fine. Just MAKE SURE you can run Windows in some way (Fusion, Parallels, Boot Camp, etc)</p>

<p>I’m currently an engineer at tech and definitely the tablet was a giant waste of money. If I could do it all over, I would do a desktop/network+Wacom Bamboo Touch combo.</p>

<p>Let me say one thing, the school gets research money from fujitsu for making all the students pay $2000+ for these ridiculous tablets.</p>

<p>WHOA, big problem! I didn’t see these requirements until after my mom and i bought a laptop. </p>

<p>-I didn’t get a tablet pc.<br>
Though that seems to be fixed by buying a USB tablet. According to yall thats the way to go anyway. So I guess thats not a big problem at all. Correct?
-I didn’t get one of their approved processors. They want a core-i5 but I got a core-i3.
-they want 7500rpm hard drive. I’m not exactly sure but I’m gonna assume mine is 5400.
-everything else is fine. I got windows 7 64 bit, 4gb ram, etc.</p>

<p>So I looked at the “deviation from requirement” Here’s what it says:
1.Students who deviate from the computer requirement and therefore cannot participate in a specific course, complete a course assignment, or participate in the classroom where computer use is expected, without additional effort on the part of the faculty or the college, will be assessed any academic penalty deemed appropriate by the course instructor.
2.Students who deviate from the computer requirement and choose another hardware platform and/or operating system are still required to purchase the Engineering Software Bundle
3.Students who deviate from the computer requirement and choose another hardware or operating system platform shall not receive technical support from any College of Engineering information technology personnel.
4.Students who deviate from the computer requirement and subsequently require repairs for their computer will not be eligible for College or departmental loaner hardware.</p>

<ol>
<li>If I get the USB tablet then I should be fine. It might be a little more cumbersome but certainly workable.</li>
<li>Buying the bundle regardless was expected. No biggie.
3.Not being able to get tech support is a bummer but shouldn’t I be able to find some computer science nerd to help me out if its that bad? It can’t be too hard to find someone. And if the tablets aren’t used much then any problems should be kept to a minimum. Correct?
4.Not being able to get a loaned pc if mine brakes kinda sucks but I don’t see that as a reason to get a whole new pc.</li>
</ol>

<p>So in the end, Am i OK in assuming its not a big deal that I got the laptop I did? The performance won’t be as fast but as long as I get the USB tablet I should be good right?</p>

<p>You’ll be fine. The processor and HDD speed isn’t going to exclude you from doing anything. Just pick up a Wacom Bamboo tablet.</p>

<p>In my experience, the warranty covers surprisingly little. If your computer breaks at some point, it’s somewhat likely that it isn’t covered by the school’s warranty. For instance, one of the keyboard keys on my friend’s Fujitsu broke, and they want $150 to repair that one key.</p>

<p>k thats what i figured. Thx. </p>

<p>And those wacom bamboo tablets look nifty as hell!</p>

<p>I’ll probably be coming to tech next year and I really don’t want to spend that much for one of those tablet PCs. Looking at the fujitsu, it’s already $2000+.</p>

<p>So if I were to get a macbook pro, do you think I could still run windows and install all the software I need to on there?
As for the tablet I’ll just probably buy a Wacom Bamboo tablet as you guys suggest.</p>

<p>If you can run Autocad, Matlab and Mathematica on a computer it’s very probably going to be adequate. I have no idea if a Mac can do that but I do know that in my major no one uses a Mac and I don’t recall ever seeing an engineer using one. That isn’t to say it never happens but I’ve never seen it.</p>

<p>If you buy a mac, theres actually a good amount of mac versions of software you need in the engineering bundle like matlab and MS office. And yeah you can install windows 7(which also comes with the bundle) through bootcamp. I used to be a huge mac fan, I hackintoshed my PC to see what it’s like. But after that I concluded that windows 7 > mac =/ just my opinion though</p>

<p>I’m still on the fence and I think I may jump back to the windows 7 side and just get a tablet pc just bc it’s more convenient. I just don’t think I’ll be buying a fujitsu bc it’s so expensive.</p>

<p>Are you totally serious about simply getting a Wacom tablet? That’s the best news! (sometimes it’s the little things :slight_smile: ). We bought a kick butt laptop this year with a true HD screen (had to special order from Sony) to run Inventor. My son does all the CAD for both of the robotics teams at his hs that has gone to the world championships every year. He also interns for a local architect. I hated the thought that his ‘baby’ was going to be replaced by some priced inflated tablet if he chooses VTech!! Thanks for the awesome news!!<br>
BTW, for anyone that is thinking about partitioning a MAC to run Windows…massive pain. You’ll wish you didn’t. I have to swap out and reboot to run media editing software that isn’t available in MAC and I hate it every time. It’s a time consuming irritation. Just my opinion…and I’m a total gadget, graphics, media editing, electronics, junkie.</p>

<p>The minimum computer requirements are now up on the VT website.</p>

<p>[College</a> of Engineering Computer Requirement](<a href=“http://www.eng.vt.edu/academics/comp_require.php]College”>http://www.eng.vt.edu/academics/comp_require.php)</p>