Engineering Computer Requirement(s)

<p>Hi, I know this has been asked several times but I need specifics to my questions:</p>

<p>The College of Engineering requires their students to purchase a Tablet PC. Originally, I was going to purchase a Macbook Air for the same price... but according to the VT Eng site, they state that:</p>

<p>"Students who deviate from the computer requirement and therefore cannot participate in a specific course, complete a course assignment, or participate in the classroom where computer use is expected, without additional effort on the part of the faculty or the college, will be assessed any academic penalty deemed appropriate by the course instructor."</p>

<p>I want to know... do our engineering courses really require the use of the tablet PC platform for a MAJORITY of our assignments? I can't justify spending $2500 on a tablet PC... I'm simply mac driven. </p>

<p>If we use the tablet regularly... I can justify the costs, but how many times do we literally need a tablet to jot down notes?</p>

<p>Basically, tell me, why do we need a tablet PC compared to a normal laptop?</p>

<p>You need it because they assign homework that they mandate must be done on a Tablet. IE: Written on the computer instead of on paper. You can’t turn it in on paper. There’s really no good way to get around it.</p>

<p>As an aside, a Macbook Air very likely will not run the software needed for Engineering, let alone run it well.</p>

<p>I got the HP touchsmart tx2z. It runs ~$900 after some upgrades and if you aren’t trying to break the bank for a tablet, it’s a good option (IMO).</p>

<p>Hi, I’m going to take engineering as well and I have the same problem with choosing a tablet. Could anyone recommend which tablet from the 4 given at the bookstore I should buy and why? Any alternative would be appreciated too, as I have no idea how much tablets usually cost.</p>

<p>I bit the bullet and bought a Tablet. </p>

<p>@henry123: I suggest buying the Fujitsu Lifebook T5010 from the bookstore (the $1800 version). </p>

<p>why?

• the other brand tabletPC only has a 12" monitor… something smaller than the lifebook
  • opt for the $1800… the differences between the $1800 and $2400 is highly unjustifiable. the main differences: $1800 computer has 2GB DDR3 // 120 GB HD space while $2400 has 4 GB DDR3 // 260 GB? HD. (processor differences were I think 2.4GHz vs. 2.4GHz)</p>

<p>if I were you… I’d just go with the $1800 and upgrade it yourself if you know. I also failed to mention that with the $2400… you have a free battery replacement and a 4 year warranty vs. a 3 year warranty and no batt. replacement.</p>